Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#1]

WWMWD?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:29:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LMAO

Not a week goes by without one or two "emergencies" that I suggested we deal with months (or years) ago, and now they are in pain, or infected, or disfigured, or otherwise incapacitated, and the treatment is always more complicated, and expensive, and bigger deal than it would have been.

People just never listen.

Try working EMS.

Arriving at the scene of a 911 call we find the patient standing at the curb with her bags packed, ready to be admitted.

WTF over?  If you need EMS assistance...call them.  But if you're prepared to go to the hospital because you know you'll be there for a while...then find some other way to go there.

My mom was prepared to go in for knee surgery.  She drove herself to the hospital.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:29:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope my doc dont bitch about me like this, but i often do what he asks though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a great Doc...when I show up, I'm always on time for an early appointment and always have a brown paper bag with two German hefe weizen beers in it...I call that technique!!! Never have to wait...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a great Doc...when I show up, I'm always on time for an early appointment and always have a brown paper bag with two German hefe weizen beers in it...I call that technique!!! Never have to wait...

whats the beers for?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now if you want to pay me cash on the barrelhead, I will see you on your schedule and we will give you that full hour.  

BS I call...

I don't got no stinking insurance... My wife and child still wait hours to see a medical professional and it always costs a min of $100 but usually more.

They get no more than 10 minutes with them.  

We pay by check before we leave the lobby.

I'm not a alone...  many of my friends only have catestrophic coverage and do the same.

BS!

He's saying if the entire system was cash-only.  Cash-paying patients represent <1% of my practice.  If most people paid cash I wouldn't have to schedule people so close together getting nickel and dimed by Medicaid like I do.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now if you want to pay me cash on the barrelhead, I will see you on your schedule and we will give you that full hour.  

BS I call...

I don't got no stinking insurance... My wife and child still wait hours to see a medical professional and it always costs a min of $100 but usually more.

They get no more than 10 minutes with them.  

We pay by check before we leave the lobby.

I'm not a alone...  many of my friends only have catestrophic coverage and do the same.

BS!

He's saying if the entire system was cash-only.  Cash-paying patients represent <1% of my practice.  If most people paid cash I wouldn't have to schedule people so close together getting nickel and dimed by Medicaid like I do.  

My friend of Canadian otigin has it correctly!  If I was paid what I billed then you get your time.  A professional hour is 45 min by the way.  The 15 min is to allow to document your encounter.   You show me the quan and you will have my undivided attention.  I would only see 10 patients a day.  1 an hour.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Our CTs and MRIs also have a limit. The person has to fit in the ring for it work. So the really large ones are sent to the Detroit zoo so we can use their machine that they use for hippos and elephants.

I had 1 pt,( when I worked in a ER) I had to take for a CT. The machines limit was 350 lbs. He insisted he was 340 lbs. We didnt have a scale that would go that high.

Anyway, got him on the machine, barely fit in the donut, and the machine started whining, aux pumps were kicking in, lights were flashing. I thought  the machine was going to start smoking.

eats a significant portion of the food supply in the Detroit area.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey have you guys ever have metal in the room when the machines are on?  I saw one and we were playing and we stuck all sorts of shit on the machine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Our CTs and MRIs also have a limit. The person has to fit in the ring for it work. So the really large ones are sent to the Detroit zoo so we can use their machine that they use for hippos and elephants.

I had 1 pt,( when I worked in a ER) I had to take for a CT. The machines limit was 350 lbs. He insisted he was 340 lbs. We didnt have a scale that would go that high.

Anyway, got him on the machine, barely fit in the donut, and the machine started whining, aux pumps were kicking in, lights were flashing. I thought  the machine was going to start smoking.

eats a significant portion of the food supply in the Detroit area.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOL - imagine what it was like when I had to do a PORTABLE x-ray on a 750 pound woman - OMG!  we had to do a double exposure of the film.  The poor little portable machine almost lost all battery power.

Luckily, we have Busch Gardens and Sea World nearby for the CTs and MRIs - simply amazing that someone could let themselves get THAT big.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think the reason is that human nature is impossible to change and human behaviour is difficult to change.  Making lifestyle changes, even ones you know you should do, are very hard.

About 2 years ago my Dr told me I needed to lose weight.  I was 6'2 and 216 lbs, not grossly over weight but had a gut.  Now my Dr is a big guy, about 6'4 and at least 60 lbs overweight.  I went back 4 months later, height had not changed , but I was 185 lbs.  He was very congratulatory, and I said something like, "Don't you love it when your patients do what you say."  He said, "Yes, now I just got to make myself do the same thing".  So here is an example of an educated person, a Dr, who knows what he should be doing, yet is struggling with it.

Lifestyle changes are hard and I still fight the battle everyday.

They are but they are also the answer.
I can tell you I always took great care of myself before I became a Doc. Excercised daily, ate right, got almost enough sleep, etc. After that it all went to shit. Gobble down some crap between patients as I'm running down the hall, pound a six pack of Mountain Dew and coffee on a call night. 36 hour shifts. High stress(I'm a stress eater). Worst possible lifestyle I could imagine. Wouldn't tell anyone to do what I did.
I grew sick of it and I knew that I was heading for an eventual MI, no question. Quit 4 months ago and have been excercising, losing weight, eating waaayyyy better, getting enough rest, even my teeth and gums are happier. As for the whole person, I am happier than I have been in years and I've lost some weight. Today I pumped iron and then went on a nice long hike in the snow with my dog. Took my AK and did a little plinking. Oh yeah, life is good.

So go a little easy on him, there ain't much worse lifestyle than that of a Doc. Bottom line is we give up most everything to take care of others. Yeah, we get paid decent, but the demands on our time are just that, DEMANDS. When I worked my first job out of residency I was on 24/7/365. The only way I could be left alone and be off was to load up my family and drive away.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"So you go to a doctor",

and wait and wait and wait and fucking wait, because his office administrator has given instructions to book four patients every 15 minutes. C'mon Doc, get on their ass about this kind of shit.

It has all been driven by the gov't. Damn serious about that.
Thanks to the .gov we have all been shoved into corporate medicine. I can't stand the fuckers but it is almost impossible to have your own clinic these days. Thought about it as I am in decent financial shape(not well enough to retire) but I figure a minimum of $350K to start up and then I have to hire a transcriptionist, receptionist, Xray tech, lab tech, nurse. Not like opening your own law office, etc. And then if you do the ins and gov will occassionally just decide not to pay. They know that without a corporate staff you don't have the time or money to fight them. I could tell you some real hellacious stories.

Fuck it, I'm done.
There's other jobs and pts can find other doctors.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes, LOVE the patients who think it will get better....Diabetic, PVD, ulcer on their foot...they come in a couple of weeks later with gas gangrene and can't understand why you can't just give them an antibiotic and make it better.   Or the post-op patient who wears a hole in the bottom of their cast, but looks you straight in they eye and says they stayed off of it just like you told them to....

AFARR

I had a noncompliant diabetic come in a few years back with a big ass hole in his foot. Stunk like Hell, was about 2" wide, all the way thru, no shit. Bones gone. He thought it would get better. As if the smell wasn't enough to get him in.

They're mostly all nuts.

I really mean it too. Most of the people I saw were loons of some flavor or another and obnoxious to boot. Did I tell you guys I am happier now?!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
i work as a medical transcriptionist.  i know some doctors who do all the transcriptions themselves.  i have no idea how they find the time for it

+1 for everything drjarhead has said, it's all true.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Aw, what do doctors know?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Aw, what do doctors know?  

I know 1000 ways to kill you so be careful how you talk to me!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I take what they give me, and Im sweating in freezing weather and dryheaving walking to the mailbox, I couldnt hardly stand.  Thier reasoning, only take one ever 2 days instead of one every day, hell with that I'll be in pain instead.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top