User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This also proves that the AR is NOT the weapon of choice when faced with a vehicle.

Why is that? Just tells me the guy wasn't accurate enough to get more hits in.  The one shot that did hit the robber killed him, but it took a couple minutes.

He was 15 miles away, it took more than a couple of minutes.

Well firstly it's pretty well known that .223 doesn't keep much punch through windshields unless it's one of the bonded designs, which is less optimal in situations not involving barriers.  The windshield is pretty much it too since otherwise you are firing into many inches of what is effectively steel armor (engine block).  Had the man not veered off course our friend would be dead and the killer would have been still driving 10 minutes afterwards.

He could be a poor shot too, but how stone cold a mofo will you be when faced with a racing engine and a few seconds before you get run down?  If i'm not mistaken there are lots of stories from Iraq of full auto burts of 5.56mm into the driver side not stopping the attacks of those driving cars.

If it's what you got, it's what you got.... that doesn't make it ideal in that situation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Been better off with a .308.It'll chew a vehicle up proper along with anyone in or behind it.223 and 9mm just doesn't have the stones.Given that a smash and grab with a vehicle as a battering ram was the likely threat after hours a stick with abit more thunder was called for.But,he lived and there could very well be physical handicaps or some other factor that precluded the big guns.

Edited to add that there isn't a rifle in the world that will "STOP" a 3,000 lb vehicle racing towards you.Even if the driver is stone dead your still in for a world of hurt unless it veers or the corpses foot comes of the gas and there is sufficient distance for the vehicle to slow down.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's a link to the incident

This story reeks of

it's true. I was in college just up the road when it happened.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I too was puzzeled by the 15 rounds per mag on the AR though? Why?

At that time it was thought that the original 20 rnd mags were more reliable, and more commonly sold, and there were the stories of them "jamming" with a full 20.  So, he downloaded to 15.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:08:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This also proves that the AR is NOT the weapon of choice when faced with a vehicle.

Why is that? Just tells me the guy wasn't accurate enough to get more hits in.  The one shot that did hit the robber killed him, but it took a couple minutes.

He was 15 miles away, it took more than a couple of minutes.

Well firstly it's pretty well known that .223 doesn't keep much punch through windshields unless it's one of the bonded designs, which is less optimal in situations not involving barriers.  The windshield is pretty much it too since otherwise you are firing into many inches of what is effectively steel armor (engine block).  Had the man not veered off course our friend would be dead and the killer would have been still driving 10 minutes afterwards.

He could be a poor shot too, but how stone cold a mofo will you be when faced with a racing engine and a few seconds before you get run down?  If i'm not mistaken there are lots of stories from Iraq of full auto burts of 5.56mm into the driver side not stopping the attacks of those driving cars.

If it's what you got, it's what you got.... that doesn't make it ideal in that situation.

Weird, I just got SHEISLEGEND to watch "Deadly Weapons: Firearms and Firepower" last night (I have watched it several times before) and when they get to the windshield test 223 ball ammo goes right through the windshield then through both sides of a vest (a vest designed to stop pistol rounds mind you).  That wasn't even SS109.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted: During the time this happened these were most like 20 round mags.
Oh man, you mean the dealers couldn't even  keep the good stuff for themselves? Damn 'gubment!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:36:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Good: Stashing the shotgun as a fall back weapon.  Smart idea.

Bad: Not using 30 rounders, and if he was using 20 round mags, why download all the way to 15?  Bring more than one spare mag.

Ugly:  Suppressing fire when outnumbered 7 to 1.  Shoot to win the fight, man!  If it was 2 on 1, I can see why he'd want to toy with them.  He was LUCKY to get out of this alive.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top