Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 4:04:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 6:52:45 AM EDT by metroplex]
http://www.fordmanifoldsettlement.com/import.html

According to the settlement, we have 90 days from the date of the settlement to bring our vehicle in for inspection or to file the reimbursement paperwork.
According to the class action info, most 96-01 Fords with the 4.6 V8 will fall under this suit because they were equipped with all plastic intake manifolds that WILL crack in the front crossover area.

Now, here's the interesting part:

I called up some local Ford dealerships in the area.

The first one, Mike Dorian Ford, states that we have 15 days from the date of settlement to bring in our vehicles. I told them 90, they said "it says 15 on our paperwork!" Ok, I'll bring it in before 12/31/05. They said they must inspect for the serial number on the intake - there are no serial numbers other than the part #. They also do not have final dollar amounts.

The second one, Russ Milne, claims they never heard of it. I called later and they said, oh yeah, we got the paperwork. I asked them about their side, and they said "no reimbursement w/o receipts, you must have a receipts according to our paperwork"

According to the class action settlement: final dollar amount w/o receipt is $735. Customer can bring in the vehicle within 90 days w/ or w/o receipts for the intake repair.

Why is each dealership changing this settlement?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:14:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 5:03:19 AM EDT by oneshot1kill]
I'm not sure why they are changing the terms, but even though the individual dealerships have varying policies from one to the next, they have a legal obligation to honor the terms of this settlement.

I didn't read the actual text, but would there be reimbursement for 4.6L owners who already paid a shop for replacement? Just curious, I don't own one but I replaced a dozen or more for customers. It would be great to send them in for a refund!

Thank you for posting this.

ETA: I got the text, question answered, thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:18:49 AM EDT
One of the guys that worked with me a problem with the manifold on his lincoln the dealer charged him 1K to fix it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:29:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
http://www.fordmanifoldsettlement.com/import.html

According to the settlement, we have 90 days from the date of the settlement to bring our vehicle in for inspection or to file the reimbursement paperwork.
According to the class action info, most 96-01 Fords with the 4.6 V8 will fall under this suit because they were equipped with all plastic intake manifolds that WILL crack in the front crossover area.

Now, here's the interesting part:

I called up some local Ford dealerships in the area.

The first one, Mike Dorian Ford, states that we have 15 days from the date of settlement to bring in our vehicles. I told them 90, they said "it says 15 on our paperwork!" Ok, I'll bring it in before 12/31/05. They said they must inspect for the serial number on the intake - there are no serial numbers other than the part #. They also do not have final dollar amounts.

The second one, Russ Milne, claims they never heard of it. I called later and they said, oh yeah, we got the paperwork. I asked them about their side, and they said "no reimbursement w/o receipts, you must have a receipts according to our paperwork"

According to the class action settlement: final dollar amount w/o receipt is $735. Customer can bring in the vehicle within 90 days w/ or w/o receipts for the intake repair.

Why is each stealership changing this settlement?

That's why.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:36:25 AM EDT
I know a guy that was charged $900 to replace the intake on his car, and now the settlement maxes out at $735. I lost my receipt but I don't want to get screwed out of this because my intake has the wrong "serial #". The closest stealership claims they do not have final dollar amounts. I predict if I go to them, they'll just fork over a letter that says "$300" or some BS and they pocket the rest.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:51:00 AM EDT
Lawyer up.

Find a good old pitbull junkyard dog lawyer who wnats to make a buck and I'll bet he'll take the case for a percentage of the damages.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:56:33 AM EDT
The class action lawsuit was already settled. I'm not sure why Ford dealerships are giving different interpretations of the settlement.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:58:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 5:00:09 AM EDT by Gary_P]
TO: All U.S. Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers

SUBJECT: Extended Coverage Program 05N04 Certain 1996 through 2002 Vehicles Equipped with 4.6L 2V Engine:
• 1996–2001 Grand Marquis
• 1996-2001 Town Car
• 1996-2001 Crown Victoria
• 1997 Cougar, Thunderbird
• 1997-2001 Mustang
• 2002 Explorer and Mountaineer
Extended Coverage for Composite Intake Manifold

PROGRAM TERMS

This program is being provided as a settlement to a class action lawsuit. The terms of the settlement extend the coverage of the all-composite intake manifold to 7 years from the original warranty start date of the vehicle, with no limit on the number of miles that the vehicle has been driven. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

VEHICLES COVERED BY THIS PROGRAM

Model
Model Year
Build Dates

Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis
1996 - 2001
Job#1 1996 through Job last 2001

Town Car
1996 - 2001
Job#1 1996 through Job last 2001

Mustang
1997 - 2001
June 25, 1997 through Job last 2001

Thunderbird and Cougar
July 14, 1997 through September 4, 1997

Explorer and Mountaineer
Job#1 2002 through July 27, 2001

Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.

REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE

Some of the all-composite intake manifolds used on 4.6L SOHC engines may develop fatigue cracks at the coolant crossover duct which could result in external coolant leakage. Drivers may be alerted of this potential leakage by the coolant level and/or coolant temperature warning systems.

SERVICE ACTION

Repair Coverage Program 05N04:
If an intake manifold coolant leak is detected at the coolant crossover duct, the dealer will perform a one-time replacement of the intake manifold. Owners of the affected vehicles have been notified through a class action lawsuit settlement notification that additional coverage for this specific condition is being provided. The coverage will be for 7 years from the warranty start date of the vehicle. If you are not able to determine the warranty start date of a vehicle, call the Special Service Support Center for assistance. There is no mileage limitation for this program and coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.

Refund Coverage Program 46B01:
This program will also provide reimbursement to customers that have paid to have the intake manifold replaced within 7 years of the warranty start date but before the date the settlement became effective, which was December 16, 2005.

The replacement and refund coverage eligibility for this program will be listed separately in OASIS as 05N04 for replacement and 46B01 for refund. Refer to Attachment I for details.

ATTACHMENTS

Attachment I: Administrative Information
Attachment II: Labor Allowances and Parts Ordering Information
Attachment III: Technical Information regarding how to inspect vehicles for customers that seek reimbursement without a receipt. (Refer to shop manual for intake manifold replacement instructions)
Notice of Proposed Settlement of Class Action and Settlement Fairness Hearing (This document contains the declaration page that needs to be signed by the customer and attached to repair orders that are processed for refunds without receipts)

OWNER REFUNDS

Program 05N04 covers one intake manifold replacement per vehicle. Program 46B01 covers one refund per vehicle. The replacement program will show on OASIS as 05N04 and the refund program will show as 46B01. If you receive a refund request for a vehicle that no longer has 46B01 open on OASIS, call the Special Service Support Center for prior approval.
Ford Motor Company will only refund owner-paid repairs covered by 46B01 if the repair was performed prior to December 16, 2005. (or after December 16, 2005 if an emergency repair was made when a Ford, Lincoln or Mercury dealer was not available.)
The repair must have been completed within 7 years of the warranty start date to be eligible for a refund.
The dealer must submit for reimbursement to Ford by March 16, 2006. This refund period was specified by the court settlement. Refund claims will not be accepted after March 16, 2006. Dealers have until March 20, 2006 to submit corrections for claims that were submitted on or before March 16, 2006.
Refund claims that include other non-covered repairs will not be accepted for reimbursement.
Engine replacement and other engine repairs are not covered under this program.
Customers with receipts:
The customer must present the original, a photocopy of or a duplicate of the original receipt to receive the same amount of money that they paid for the repair.
Refund claims with supporting receipts over $900 will require prior approval from the Special Service Support Center.
Customers without receipts:
If a customer claims that he or she paid to have the intake manifold replaced due to a cracked coolant crossover duct leak but no longer has the receipt, there is an inspection process to determine refund eligibility. Refer to attachment III for inspection instructions. The vehicle must still be within 7 years of the warranty start date to be eligible for a refund without a receipt.
Customers submitting for a refund without a receipt must provide the dealer with a signed declaration page from the class action notification (copy attached). The dealer must attach this completed document to the refund repair order.
Customers that are eligible for reimbursement without a receipt will receive the court settlement determined amount of $735.00.

thats what we get.

enough with the fucking conspiracy theories already.

Gary
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:03:43 AM EDT
Thanks Gary.

That pretty much makes the dealership claim of "15 days" and "no final dollar amount" BS.
Do you have the Attachment 3 for the inspection procedure?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:09:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 5:12:45 AM EDT by Gary_P]
ATTACHMENT III
Extended Coverage Program 05N04

Certain 1996 through 2002 Vehicles Equipped with 4.6L 2V Engine: - Extended Coverage for Composite Intake Manifold

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information

OVERVIEW

This program involves either:

inspecting the intake manifold part number to determine if the owner is eligible for reimbursement for a previous intake manifold replacement repair without a receipt, or
inspecting the intake manifold coolant crossover directly behind the alternator for leakage in the event the owner reports a suspected coolant leak. If a leak in this specific area is verified, the intake manifold must be replaced.
Proceed to the appropriate inspection procedure.

PART NUMBER INSPECTION

NOTE: The part number is molded into the intake manifold and is located between two (2) runners on the driver side of the manifold. No disassembly is required to view the part number except for removal of the engine appearance cover, if equipped.

On most affected vehicles, the throttle body points toward the driver side of the vehicle. The part number will be found on the driver side of the manifold, beneath the throttle body intake tube.
On applications where the throttle body is pointing toward the right side of the vehicle, the part number is still located on the driver side of the manifold.

Remove the engine appearance cover, if equipped.

Locate the area on the intake manifold where the part number is to be found. See Figure 1.

NOTE: Thorough cleaning of the area is required in order to accurately read the part number prefix and suffix. Wrap a shop towel around the end of either a long screwdriver or long extension to reach the affected area to wipe after spraying with cleaner.

Clean the area between the two (2) runners by first blowing any dirt or foreign material away using compressed air. Then spray the area with Motorcraft Metal Brake Parts Cleaner, PM-4 or equivalent, and using a shop towel, wipe the area clean.

Read and record the intake manifold part number.
If the part number on the manifold matches the part numbers listed below, the vehicle is not eligible for a refund without a receipt.
If the part number is different than the numbers listed below, the vehicle is eligible for a refund without a receipt.
MODEL YEAR
VEHICLE
PART NUMBERS NOT COVERED*

Thunderbird, Cougar
F8AE-9424-BB

1997 – 1998
Mustang
F8AE-9424-BC/BD/BE/BF

1999 – 2001
Mustang
XR3E-9424-DA/DB/DC or 1L2E-9424-DB/DC

1996 – 1997
Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Town Car
F8AE-9424-BB

F8AE-9424-BC/BD/BE/BF

1999 – 2000
F8AE-9424-BC/BD/BE/BF

1L2E-9424-DB/DC

Explorer
1L2E-9424-EA/EB/EC/ED/EE

* All other part numbers are eligible for a refund without a receipt.

COOLANT LEAKAGE INSPECTION

NOTE: To properly inspect the intake manifold you must look down behind the alternator.

Inspect the coolant crossover area of the intake manifold as shown in Figure 2 for engine coolant leakage.
If seepage IS present, the intake manifold MUST be replaced. Refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual, Section 303-01 for 1996 through 1998 model year vehicles and Section 303-01 for 1999 through 2002 model year vehicles for replacement procedures for intake manifold.
If seepage is NOT present, no service action is required.

I cannot post the pictures

Gary
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:30:59 AM EDT
Thanks Gary!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:54:21 AM EDT
I've got a '96 CV. It's a P71 model (Police Package). Before the class action suit was initiated, Ford had authorized a FAR(Factory Authorized Repair) for the P71's that had the composite manifold. Mine broke 3 years ago. The local dealer wasn't aware of the FAR. I knew about it from reading a post on crownvic.net. I informed the dealer of the FAR number. He researched it, and got authorization from Ford to do the repair. They replaced my manifold with a new one at no charge to me. The new one is a combination aluminum /composite construction. It will probably outlast the car.
Ford's FAR on the manifold was only good on the P71 models. Until the class action suit, people with the civilian model Fords were stuck with replacing the manifold on thier nickle.
I'm glad to see that Ford is going to correct the problem.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:01:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2005 6:06:59 AM EDT by metroplex]
Yes, that program (01M02?) was only applicable to CVPIs/P71s.

Some people spend as much as $1000 out of their own pocket to have the dealership replace the damn things. For those that are just reading the thread and do not own Fords, the plastic they use for the intakes is a lot weaker than Glock plastic. It WILL crack, it's not a matter of if, but when.

I have a P73 HPP.

There's another part of the intake that will crack (rear heater hose connection) but Ford isn't covering that right now (maybe another class action lawsuit in the future).

The plastic is a hard Dupont Zytel Nylon, not the softer Nylon 6 on the Glock.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:52:32 AM EDT
bttmft
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:24:01 AM EDT
ttmft
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:44:01 AM EDT
I bought a ford Ranger and its a pile of crap.

Kick myself everyday for not buying a tacoma.
Top Top