Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 3:47:00 AM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179310,00.html

MEXICO CITY — The Mexican government, angered by a U.S. proposal to extend a wall along the border to keep out migrants, pledged Tuesday to block the plan and organize an international campaign against it.

Facing a growing tide of anti-immigrant sentiment north of the border, the Mexican government has taken out ads urging Mexican workers to denounce rights violations in the United States. It also is hiring an American public relations firm to improve its image and counter growing U.S. concerns about immigration.

Mexican President Vicente Fox denounced the U.S. measures, passed by the House of Representatives on Friday, as "shameful" and his foreign secretary, Luis Ernesto Derbez, echoed his complaints on Tuesday.

"Mexico is not going to bear, it is not going to permit, and it will not allow a stupid thing like this wall," Derbez said.

"What has to be done is to raise a storm of criticism, as is already happening, against this," he said, promising to turn the international community against the plan.

Some stretches of the U.S.-Mexico border are already marked by fences, but in some heavily-trafficked sections walls have already been erected by the United States, often using 10-foot-high sections of military surplus steel. Those sections, which typically run several miles, can be found in southern Arizona and California.

It's hard to underestimate the ill-feeling the proposal has generated in Mexico, where editorial pages are dominated by cartoons of Uncle Sam putting up walls bearing anti-Mexican messages.

Many Mexicans, especially those who have spent time working in the U.S., feel the proposal is a slap in the face to those who work hard and contribute to the U.S. economy.

Fernando Robledo, 42, of the western state of Zacatecas, says the proposals could stem migration and disrupt families by breaking cross-border ties.

"When people heard this, it worried everybody, because this will affect everybody in some way, and their families," Robledo said. "They were incredulous. How could they do this, propose something like this?"

Robledo, whose son and mother are U.S. citizens, predicted the measure "would unleash conflict within the United States" as small businesses fail for lack of workers.

He said many Mexicans felt betrayed by the anti-immigrant sentiment.

"We learned to believe in the United States. We have a binational life," he said of Zacatecas, a state that has been sending migrants north for more than a century. "It isn't just a feeling of rejection. It's against what we see as part of our life, our culture, our territory."

The government is scrambling to fight on two fronts. On Monday, it announced it had hired Allyn & Company, a Dallas-based public relations company to help improve Mexico's image and stem the immigration backlash.

"If people in the U.S. and Canada had an accurate view of the success of democracy, political stability and economic prosperity in Mexico, it would improve their views on specific bilateral issues like immigration and border security," Rob Allyn, president of the PR firm, told The Associated Press Tuesday.

Jose Luis Soberanes, head of the government's National Human Rights Commission, suggested Mexico go further.

"I would expect more energetic reactions from our authorities," Soberanes told local media. "It's preferable to have a more demanding government, more confrontation with the United States."

Mexico has also said it is recruiting U.S. church, community and business groups to oppose the proposal.

And the government has stepped up its defense of migrants, airing a series of radio spots here aimed at migrants returning home for the holidays.

"Had a labor accident in the United States? You have rights ... Call," reads the ad, sponsored by Mexico's Foreign Relations Department, which has helped migrants bring compensation suits in the United States.

The sense of dread connected with the measures is hardly restricted to Mexico. Immigrant advocacy and aid groups in the United States are worried about provisions of the House bill that upgrade unlawful presence in the United States from a civil offense to a felony.

"It would have a horrific impact on immigrants right organizing and immigrant communities" in the United States, said Jennifer Allen of the Tucson, Ariz.-based Red de Accion Fronteriza.

The mistaken belief that the proposals are a done deal — they must still be submitted to the Senate — have caused "just complete fear and shock" among some activists and immigrants, Allen said.

The House bill, passed on a 239-182 vote, includes a proposal to build 700 miles of additional fence through parts of California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. It would also enlist military and local law enforcement to help stop illegal entrants and require employers to verify the legal status of their workers.

Mexicans are outraged by the proposed measures, especially the extension of the border wall, which many liken to the Berlin Wall. Some are urging their government to fight it fiercely.

"Our president should oppose that wall and make them stop it, at all costs," said Martin Vazquez, 26, at the Mexico City airport as he returned from his job as a hotel worker in Las Vegas. "More than just insulting, it's terrible."
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Migrants are welcome, illegal aliens aren't.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
"We learned to believe in the United States. We have a binational life," he said of Zacatecas, a state that has been sending migrants north for more than a century. "It isn't just a feeling of rejection. It's against what we see as part of our life, our culture, our territory."

WTF!!!!  This will not affect anybody beside people who are breaking the law.  And "our territory" who the hell do they think they are?

I can't even type anymore, shit like this angers me beyond belief.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:55:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Screw them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:07:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Call me psycic or what ever but I predict that the U.S. Senate will do everything in its power to stall any harding of our border so as to not offend Mexico on this "controversle" issue.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#5]

our territory."

Someone should tell them that it hasn't been their territory since the end of the Mexican War.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Call me psycic or what ever but I predict that the U.S. Senate will do everything in its power to stall forever any harding of our border so as to not offend Mexico on this "controversle" issue.  

Fixed.

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

WTF!!!!  This will not affect anybody beside people who are breaking the law.  And "our territory" who the hell do they think they are?

I can't even type anymore, shit like this angers me beyond belief.

This is the result of the "repeat a lie long enough and it becomes true" mindset.

They've now convinced themselves that they have a "right" to the U.S. and can come and go as they damn well please.

They've been coming and going at will for so long without any real consequences that they reached the "It's always been this way" stage.

I've been convinced that the Southwest could turn into another Israel/Palestine situation real fucking quick.  With Mexicans spouting bullshit like this, I think it's even more likely.  We've got MILLIONS of illegals in the SW and all it's going to take is a leader rising and a trigger.  Cutting them off with a wall (and all the effects that come from that) could be that trigger.

One of the big reasons I'm Getting TFO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:53:53 AM EDT
[#8]
no me gusta
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:54:58 AM EDT
[#9]
MS13 is one of the biggest reasons we need the wall.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:55:18 AM EDT
[#10]

We can do whatever we want with our side of the border!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:56:57 AM EDT
[#11]
MEXICO is NOT the 51st STATE, they are a foreign country with BORDERS.  Unless every single one of those MOTHERFUCKING Mexicans wants to start paying State and Federal taxes to the USA (And I mean the illegals AND Mexican Citizens)

FUCK THEM, Put the wall up with MACHINE GUN EMPLACEMENTS and LAND MINES OUT FRONT.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Facing a growing tide of anti-immigrant sentiment north of the border, the Mexican government has taken out ads urging Mexican workers to denounce rights violations in the United States. It also is hiring an American public relations firm to improve its image and counter growing U.S. concerns about immigration.

If you're an illegal, what rights do you have? If you're not a citizen of the US what the hell are you talking about? If you can't vote, why the hell are you trying to tell us what to do with our laws?

If pres Fox doesn't like it, why doesn't he make his country better to lure all his awol workers back!?

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
MEXICO is NOT the 51st STATE, they are a foreign country with BORDERS.  Unless every single one of those MOTHERFUCKING Mexicans wants to start paying State and Federal taxes to the USA (And I mean the illegals AND Mexican Citizens)

FUCK THEM, Put the wall up with MACHINE GUN EMPLACEMENTS and LAND MINES OUT FRONT.

Actually healtcare costs are my biggest concern. Ever wonder why your medical costs keep rising? It's because hospital are treating millions of indigents from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and of course Mexico FOR FREE, while you pay for it all. And who really benefits from it all? The greedy American companies that employ migrant workers and illegal immigrants workers for next to nothing, and shoulder none of the responsibility.

I have no problem with the above. It worked for the Berlin wall, after all.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Bush is just waiting for an excuse to scrap the border altogether.  If they get some "international pressure" he may have his out.  He WILL NOT follow the lead of the Israelis and tell all the U.N. lackeys to kiss our ass.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That's right amigo!!!

Now s.t.f.u. and get used to it!!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

If you're an illegal, what rights do you have? If you're not a citizen of the US what the hell are you talking about? If you can't vote, why the hell are you trying to tell us what to do with our laws?

If pres Fox doesn't like it, why doesn't he make his country better to lure all his awol workers back!?

-Foxxz

Well actually, the Constitution guarantees the rights of anyone within the borders of the US without regard to nationality or citizenship.  These are God-given rights remember?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Here is my givashitmeter when I set it to "What other countries think about the methods we use to secure our borders":

[|----------------------]

Darn, pegged at zero.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Call me psycic or what ever but I predict that the U.S. Senate will do everything in its power to stall any harding of our border so as to not offend Mexico on this "controversle" issue.  

Wow- like, what are the Mexicans going to do, if they get too offended? Invade us or something?

[slaps head]

Oh yeah- forgot-they already did....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
?

-Foxxz

Because most illegal immigrants send back a large part of their income to their families in Mexico.
This is a very large part of the mexican economy, something often overlooked, but not for Fox. It represents a huge influx of US Dollars for Mexico, something Fox does not want to lose
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's right amigo!!!

Now s.t.f.u. and get used to it!!!

Watch out for them minefields, Paco.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Well actually, the Constitution guarantees the rights of anyone within the borders of the US without regard to nationality or citizenship.  These are God-given rights remember?

This is correct, however building the wall will not voilate anyone's human rights.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#22]
they will just dig under it, or fly over it anyway...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Did anyone else see the Immigrant Catapult episode of Mythbusters?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did anyone else see the Immigrant Catapult episode of Mythbusters?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Again I ask, isn't it perfectly OK to shoot tresspassers in Texas?  Why are more texan landowners not out shooting these fuckers as they come across?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:35:52 PM EDT
[#26]

MEXICO CITY — The Mexican government, angered by a U.S. proposal to extend a wall along the border to keep out migrants, pledged Tuesday to block the plan and organize an international campaign against it.

Good fucking luck with that, Paco.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

What rights does the constitution of the US guarantee to illegals who don't respect our borders???????
14 th amendment convoluted interpretation by some liberal court?????
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

What rights does the constitution of the US guarantee to illegals who don't respect our borders???????

Because these rights are God-given from the time you are born.  I doubt God gives a shit about what side of the Rio Grande youre on
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Because these rights are God-given from the time you are born.  I doubt God gives a shit about what side of the Rio Grande youre on

God might not care, but I do. I am damn tired of my health insurance going up everyyear when I never use it. God doesnt pay my insurance bill.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Funny how they associate legal with illegal immigration in this article.  Nobody is against legal immigration or work permits, we are against the ILLEGAL invaders.  We dont need a wall, we need shooters.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Funny how they associate legal with illegal immigration in this article.  Nobody is against legal immigration or work permits, we are against the ILLEGAL invaders.  We dont need a wall, we need shooters.

+1 on the shooters. Speaking of the constitution it explicitly states the military's job is to protect the borders of the country. If we do not have the will to protect our borders the future of this country is pretty dark.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
?

-Foxxz

Because most illegal immigrants send back a large part of their income to their families in Mexico.
This is a very large part of the mexican economy, something often overlooked, but not for Fox. It represents a huge influx of US Dollars for Mexico, something Fox does not want to lose

The figure given a year or two ago was 14 BILLION dollars a year.  Second highest revenue source behind oil exports.  This was from V. Fox himself during some Goddamned tour he was doing in the U.S., playing it up for his countrymen on this side of the border.

I heard a figure of 30 BILLION a year mentioned on the radio the other day.  No source given for that but given the number of FUCKING INVADERS here, I don't doubt it for a second.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Id love to have a confrontation with the Mexican military from our side of the line.  I think its been too long since we last kicked Mexico's ass, we need to bitchslap their Govt again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Isn't this the the old political game of blaming the U.S.
because Mexico can't/won't get their own house inorder?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Mexican President Vicente Fox denounced the U.S. measures, passed by the House of Representatives on Friday, as "shameful" and his foreign secretary, Luis Ernesto Derbez, echoed his complaints on Tuesday.

"Mexico is not going to bear, it is not going to permit, and it will not allow a stupid thing like this wall," Derbez said.

News flash, Vicente... it's not your decision.  The very fact that these people think it's within their power to prevent us from stopping illegal immigration is simply incredible.

--Mike
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Illegal immigration will curb and reduce shortly.  The illegals here have nearly completed lowering the standards of living here to that of Mexico.  In a couple years they will be no better off here than where they came from.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Then he shouldn't much care if we string the world's supply of barbed wire in front of a moat full of sharks (w/ friggin laser beams), in front of a wall grand enough to make the ancient chinese say, "Hey, nice wall".  One way or the other, the Mexicans have their rights.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

News flash, Vicente... it's not your decision.  The very fact that these people think it's within their power to prevent us from stopping illegal immigration is simply incredible.

--Mike

If anything it should be enough to provoke us to royally fuck up their country with our great diversity of explosive ordinance.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

--Mike

If anything it should be enough to provoke us to royally fuck up their country with our great diversity of explosive ordinance.

Hows about a couple of squadrons of those predater drones armed up with high resolution infared cameras and hellfire missles to welcome our drug running compadres just trying to turn a buck or two.

Like to see the look on their faces when ''big daddy'' lights up and comes sliding off the wing rack in real time!!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

--Mike

Hows about a couple of squadrons of those predater drones armed up with high resolution infared cameras and hellfire missles to welcome our drug running compadres just trying to turn a buck or two.

Like to see the look on their faces when ''big daddy'' lights up and comes sliding off the wing rack in real time!!!

Id pay money to watch with popcorn.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

--Mike

Id pay money to watch with popcorn.

That would be worth a fifty anyday!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:05:13 PM EDT
[#42]
We could just lay mine fields then they wouldn't have to look at the wall.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Jose Luis Soberanes, head of the government's National Human Rights Commission, suggested Mexico go further. "I would expect more energetic reactions from our authorities," Soberanes told local media. "It's preferable to have a more demanding government, more confrontation with the United States."

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#44]
It's our motherfucking country. We'll build a ginormous fucking phallic symbol fucking Mother Theresa

in the ass, smack dab on the border if we see fit to do it. Just because you want to pawn your poor off to

us doesn't mean we have to take it with our palms gripping our ankles. I can't fucking stand illegals. -

Kool-Aid (LCA ts1337)
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:23:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Actually healtcare costs are my biggest concern. Ever wonder why your medical costs keep rising? It's because hospital are treating millions of indigents from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and of course Mexico FOR FREE, while you pay for it all. .

Medical costs keep rising because people win a lot of lawsuits that cost insurance companies a lot of money. That translates into ridiculously higher premiums for doctors, and is forcing many out of the practice of medicine. I think the whole "treatment of illegals in hospitals" thing is largely a regional issue, not a national one. Some illegal being treated in CAli has zero effect on my medical cost going up in my town in Upstate NY.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Some problems need a wall, this is one of them. I think we and Israel should try the wall solutions and see if they work. I forget where I heard this, but this is no Berlin Wall, we are trying to keep people out, not in
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:57:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The Republicans are in the pockets of BIG BUSINESS.
They will do nothing to drive up US wages
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:01:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Fuck The"Indigenous Peoples of Mexico"
They are the most ignorant criminals on the Planet!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

They may be god given, but the constitution does not specifically protect them, so they have no recourse against our government should they deprive them of those rights- the government is not contractually bound to granting those rights to them like they are to us. The ONLY rights they have protected are basic human rights (and only because I think it is bad juju to go around and shooting them just because they are here illegally). Go to china and start asking to have all the rights we have because they are god given. Let me know when you are run over by a tank in tiananmen square.

Fox is a racist anyways....anyone remember him being quoted as saying "Mexicans are taking the jobs that even black people wouldn't do"?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually healtcare costs are my biggest concern. Ever wonder why your medical costs keep rising? It's because hospital are treating millions of indigents from El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and of course Mexico FOR FREE, while you pay for it all. .

Medical costs keep rising because people win a lot of lawsuits that cost insurance companies a lot of money. That translates into ridiculously higher premiums for doctors, and is forcing many out of the practice of medicine. I think the whole "treatment of illegals in hospitals" thing is largely a regional issue, not a national one. Some illegal being treated in CAli has zero effect on my medical cost going up in my town in Upstate NY.

You are both right, because illegals recieve free health care and can have law suits- the best of both worlds for them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top