Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:37:24 PM EDT
It's been a really stressful week, so when I got home tonight I got the tallest glass I could find, put four fingers of Jack Daniels in it and filled the rest up with ginger ale and ice.  Repeated thrice.  Feeling much better about my week, but out of Jack Daniels.

SO-new female shooter tomorrow that I'm taking to the range.  Rather...terrified, I think.  Very afraid of embarassing herself.  I think I might be compounding the problem by taking her to an actual range, which might be even a little more scary than popping cans in the backyard.  But we're set...hold on, she just text messaged me...aw, such a sweet little slice of pie lady....  

Anyhow, what can I do to make her feel more comfortable?  I understand that it's necessary to appear as competent and prepared as possible, under control.  I'm going to try and take it very slow, start her off on the M1 Carbine, if we don't make it to the AK that's fine, yatta yatte...

I don't know if I so much have a point as I am expressing how glad I am to have this week done, my old friend JD on board, and a hot chick whom I am quickly warming to to take whooting tomorrow.  Anyway, suggestions, comments appreciated.

I love you guys!  

I didn't get any pics. NRA range had a sign saying no photography and I wouldn't have had time to shoot any either.

That girl was seriously nervous. I tried to take time going over the safety exam the NRA range requires, building on what I'd already told her and answering all of her questions while trying not too overload her. It helped some. I gave her the Peltor Tac-6s and some foamies, but it was still pretty loud on the range and she was jumping at every large caliber shot while we were setting up. I broke out the Ruger MKI for her first. It was the first time she'd ever TOUCHED a firearm and she was a little shaky when she picked it up. We handled it for a while, she watched me shoot it, dry fired a few times until she got comfortable, then she squeezed off about five rounds. First shot was dead center on windage but about six inches low. Next four were in the black from seven yards on an NRA rapid pistol target! She was feeling a lot better after that. So we moved right on to the 1911. She was a little nervous about the recoil, but again I tried to take as much time as possible and make her comfortable. Shooting with the .45 wasn't quite as good as the .22, think she was anticipating the recoil some, but they were still all on the paper at seven yards with every shot and she wasn't scared of the gun. Next was the AR. Again, a lot of time getting her set up, answering questions, etc. Ran the target out to 25 yards and squeezed off a few, then let her dry fire and finally run a magazine. Her first five shots were about a five inch group, not bad at all for the first time firing a rifle!

We only had an hour on the range and she didn't shoot as many rounds as I would have liked, but I think spending the extra time talking thru it was worth it and I think too much more time would have been overload. I was really proud of her shooting and she said she had fun and would love to do it again-I think that's mission accomplished!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It's been a really stressful week, so when I got home tonight I got the tallest glass I could find, put four fingers of Jack Daniels in it and filled the rest up with ginger ale and ice.  Repeated thrice.  Feeling much better about my week, but out of Jack Daniels.

SO-new female shooter tomorrow that I'm taking to the range.  Rather...terrified, I think.  Very afraid of embarassing herself.  I think I might be compounding the problem by taking her to an actual range, which might be even a little more scary than popping cans in the backyard.  But we're set...hold on, she just text messaged me...aw, such a sweet little slice of pie lady....  

Anyhow, what can I do to make her feel more comfortable?  I understand that it's necessary to appear as competent and prepared as possible, under control.  I'm going to try and take it very slow, start her off on the M1 Carbine, if we don't make it to the AK that's fine, yatta yatte...  Everyone has to start somewhere remind her of that.  Safety instruction first though

I don't know if I so much have a point as I am expressing how glad I am to have this week done, my old friend JD on board, and a hot chick whom I am quickly warming to to take whooting tomorrow.  Anyway, suggestions, comments appreciated.

I love you guys!  

Just have fun and relax, and do not get competitive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
what to do to make her more comfortable?

if you have access to any good earpro (Peltors, etc.) bring it.  the electronic stuff helps keep normal noise levels when not shooting and still gives protection during firing, chicks are scared of the big boom.  

obvious stuff,
start off close and work further out, it's a more positive experience if they actually hit what they're aiming at.  oh yeah, make sure it's all zeroed.

i dunno, be attentive...

and to make sure she doesn't feel like she's hanging out with a wierdo, make sure you leave all of the Osama Bin Laden targets at home.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah my experience might be slightly limited but start with instinctive handgun shooting.  Look at and focus on the front sight and just cover the target teach her not to think, also gadual squeeze of the trigger not a yank.

You sound a little to excited no leg humping.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
my girlfriend was affraid in the beginning, also embarressed, as my parents tagged along for the ride...its best to just take time out, just the two of you.  go slow, explain everything ..but dont go into technical detail, just safety, for now..  as for the big boom, that didnt phase my girlfriend, she likes my 7.62x39 AK over my 5.45....go figure.  Just coach her, tell her how great shes doing, and dont over-instruct, then they can get defensive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
my girlfriend was affraid in the beginning, also embarressed, as my parents tagged along for the ride...its best to just take time out, just the two of you.  go slow, explain everything ..but dont go into technical detail, just safety, for now..  as for the big boom, that didnt phase my girlfriend, she likes my 7.62x39 AK over my 5.45....go figure.  Just coach her, tell her how great shes doing, and dont over-instruct, then they can get defensive.

+1 on all of that....  I've found in the past, that it's best to just keep things simple and teh wimminz don't get too flustered.

They usually don't give two shits about the technicalities, and super awesomeness of evil black guns and stuff, like we do     Just show her the basic safety stuff, and let her pop off a buncha rounds.

Being completely non-competitive is essential too, I think.  Hell, if you spend more time helping her, and answering any questions she might have, than shooting yourself, you'll come out golden.

Just don't be overbearing, trying to correct her stance, sight picture, etc every other round, trying to make her a crack shot in one day..... Aint gonna happen, and she'll just feel like she's doing too many things wrong, and won't want to go anymore.

Best way I found is to just explain to her safe handling, explain WHY, and then let her have at it  

For me, this worked every time.

Have fun !
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Got anything smaller than a M1 Carbine? I've never shot one but I would assume its loud and has some felt  recoil. A 22 might be better if you have one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]

I love you guys!

STEP BACK FROM THE JACK SIR, STEP BACK!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Got anything smaller than a M1 Carbine? I've never shot one but I would assume its loud and has some felt  recoil. A 22 might be better if you have one.

as long as shes not totally scared, she should make it out fine with a m1 carbine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:34:20 PM EDT
[#9]
POST AN UPDATE
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
POST AN UPDATE

Will do.  I"ll try and get some pics.  

Thanks for the advice, about what I was thinking but good for reassurance.  Good points tho on not trying to get too technical-I've done some instructro time in the .mil so I tend to try to teach too much. Gotta remember that.  

M1 Carbine vs. .22 -I guess I've got a .22.  hmm..yep, Remmie speedmaster with a 3-9x scope.  Would this be a better choice?  I mean, I'm bringin the AR, AK, Carbine, Mossy, .45, J-frame, and a .22 pistol.  Do I really need a .22 rifle?  Carbien should be fine, right?

OK, I'm definitely out of Jack and I'm going to bed.  I'll try and find my cam so I can get some pics tomorrow night.  No guarantees

Oh yeah, I got lots of eye and ear pro. People said the NRA range was loud so I got double ear pro for her, foamies and Peltors.  I just got my electronic Peltors and this will be my first chance to try them out, so she'll have to suck it up with analog hearing pro.  I'm nice, but not that nice.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#11]
AH come-on man, I thought It was 2 female types...WTFO!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
AH come-on man, I thought It was 2 female types...WTFO!

Well, one had to go have dinner with her family that night, we ended up meeting up with her after I took the other one to the range...good night!  

I didn't get any pics.  NRA range had a sign saying no photography and I wouldn't have had time to shoot any either.

That girl was seriously nervous.  I tried to take time going over the safety exam the NRA range requires, building on what I'd already told her and answering all of her questions while trying not too overload her.  It helped some.  I gave her the Peltor Tac-6s and some foamies, but it was still pretty loud on the range and she was jumping at every large caliber shot while we were setting up.  I broke out the Ruger MKI for her first.  It was the first time she'd ever TOUCHED a firearm and she was a little shaky when she picked it up.  We handled it for a while, she watched me shoot it, dry fired a few times until she got comfortable, then she squeezed off about five rounds.  First shot was dead center on windage but about six inches low.  Next four were in the black from seven yards on an NRA rapid pistol target!  She was feeling a lot better after that.  So we moved right on to the 1911.  She was a little nervous about the recoil, but again I tried to take as much time as possible and make her comfortable.  Shooting with the .45 wasn't quite as good as the .22, think she was anticipating the recoil some, but they were still all on the paper at seven yards with every shot and she wasn't scared of the gun.  Next was the AR.  Again, a lot of time getting her set up, answering questions, etc.  Ran the target out to 25 yards and squeezed off a few, then let her dry fire and finally run a magazine.  Her first five shots were about a five inch group, not bad at all for the first time firing a rifle!  

We only had an hour on the range and she didn't shoot as many rounds as I would have liked, but I think spending the extra time talking thru it was worth it and I think too much more time would have been overload.  I was really proud of her shooting and she said she had fun and would love to do it again-I think that's mission accomplished!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
M1 Carbine vs. .22 -I guess I've got a .22.  hmm..yep, Remmie speedmaster with a 3-9x scope.  Would this be a better choice?  I mean, I'm bringin the AR, AK, Carbine, Mossy, .45, J-frame, and a .22 pistol.  Do I really need a .22 rifle?  Carbien should be fine, right?  

Bring the 22 rifle.  You may need it if she feels the M1 is too much.  ALWAYS have a fall back position, mmkay?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bring the 22 rifle.  You may need it if she feels the M1 is too much.  ALWAYS have a fall back position, mmkay?

Actually all we ended up shooting was the .22 pistol, the .45, and the AR.  Worked out great.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
and a hot chick whom I am quickly warming to to take whooting tomorrow.  Anyway, suggestions, comments appreciated.

I love you guys!  

You're going to take her 'whooting' tomorrow?

Ease up man. She may not be into those kinds of kinky games this early in your relationship.

ETA: Oh yeah, it sounds like you did great.

Don't sweat the low round count....   remember, this excursion was about HER and taking HER shooting and making HER comfortable with it. You went, walked her through the basics, exposed her to some great boomsticks and had fun. Not only that, but you didn't drag it out and make it unbearable; you left her wanting more.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top