Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 5:18:56 PM EDT
Goddamn, motherfucking son of a BITCH!

www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1141343_1_0_,00.html

Adios, 'Firefly'...

Joss Whedon lets ''Firefly'' go -- The ''Serenity'' director may turn to ''Buff the Vampire Slayer'' for his next big-screen project by Jeff Jensen

When Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon looks back on 2005, he can take comfort in knowing that his film-directing debut, the sci-fi Western Serenity, resurrected his canceled-too-soon cult classic TV series Firefly, and was also one of the year's best-reviewed movies. ''I should say I'm above reading reviews,'' he says. ''But I would be lying.'' Alas, Whedon's fond memories are also tainted by Serenity's status as a franchise nonstarter; despite Universal's best marketing efforts, the film only mustered $25 million. ''In the end, it was what it was: a tough sell,'' says Whedon, adding that it appears the Firefly saga has reached its conclusion. He has no regrets — and he's moving on. He's currently penning a Wonder Woman flick for Warner Bros., and has the thriller Goners set up at Universal; he'll direct whichever...

Subcription required for the rest of it...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I watch the first 3 episodes of Firefly, but never got into it.  I was a big Joss fan, but imo this wasn't his best work.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, the overseas sales brought the total gross to $38.3M - which is almost exactly what the movie cost to make. The DVD is currently in first place on Amazon.

My guess is that Whedon will eventually find some way of continuing the series. He's weary of it now, but it'll keep coming back to haunt him until he finally figures out some profitable venue for it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Mother Fucker!

They need new firefly to replace Stargate.  It has gone down hill with out RDA.  Let the show die it has been ten years.

Battlestar Galatica
SG Atlantis
Firefly
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Actually, the overseas sales brought the total gross to $38.3M - which is almost exactly what the movie cost to make. The DVD is currently in first place on Amazon.

My guess is that Whedon will eventually find some way of continuing the series. He's weary of it now, but it'll keep coming back to haunt him until he finally figures out some profitable venue for it.

Not a chance.

The movie grossed $38.3 million and it cost a similar amount to make NOT COUNTING marketing cost (they spent a lot marketing this movie), distribution cost, the theaters cut, ect… So you can double what it cost to make the movie to get to the break even point...maybe $70 million.  

They are going to have to sell 5-8 million DVDs to break even… not going to happen.

If he wanted too I doubt he could find a studio to go along.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]
It should do really well in DVD, the series is a top seller..
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

...(they spent a lot marketing this movie)...

Sure as hell didn't show....

As far as the EW article goes, I'm thinking Joss might have been taken out of context.

At least I hope so...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top