Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 4:57:03 PM EDT
My best friend's  ex husband, with whom she had one child, died suddenly early this fall.  In the summer of this year, 2005, he was granted a divorce from his third wife, after a marriage of a couple of years with no children.  This wife left him for another woman.  My friend maintained a civil relationship with her ex, mainly because of their daughter, and in the months prior to and immediately after she asked him repeatedly to change the beneficiary on his $250,000 life insurance from this latest ex-wife, back to his two daughters from his prior marriages.  He said repeatedly that he would.  When he died suddenly at the age of 40, the police found a change of beneficiary form on his desk, but it had not been filled out.

It is common knowledge that he absolutely would not have wanted his ex-wife to get this money, especially after she left him for a woman.  However, my friend has been advised that legally there isn't  much she or the mother of the other child can do to get this money for the children as the beneficiary had not been changed.

The ex-wife told my friend on several occasions that she would do what was right  and make sure that his daughters received the money.   The ex-wife has told people all over their small town that she has already given the girls their money.   But they have not received a dime.  Meanwhile, the ex-wife is obviously living much better in the last couple of months.  Wonder why?

We had discussed protesting in front her of home and office, with signs that say  Miss X steals from little orphans,,  considered newspaper ads and billboards, in the hopes that it might shame her into doing the right thing.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Sad story.  Perhaps you should move this to the legal section of the forum.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  But right now what we're after is the cleansing, warming glow of revenge.  Sneaky, and preferably legal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
As I see it, there are two avenues you can take.

1. Be bitter about it, let it eat you up, and do something stupid that will either land you in jail, or bring your morals into question.

or,

2. Accept the fact that the insurance has been paid to the legal beneficiary, and move on with your life. If you care so much about the kids, send a monthly child support check.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Take her broomstick hostage untill she pays up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I appreciate the rational responses, but we have decided not to go that route.  I would appreciate it if we could keep this thread revenge oriented from here on out.

Thanks for your support.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
SSS
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I appreciate the rational responses, but we have decided not to go that route.  I would appreciate it if we could keep this thread revenge oriented from here on out.

Thanks for your support.

Ohhhh.  I thought this was a bullshit fantasy revenge thread.  I didn't know that you were serious about real sneaky ball-less covert revenge.  Face it.  Your friend fucked up and his kids are left holding the bag. Now you want us to try to help you strongarm a rightful beneficiary out of her money.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks for your support.

So, what are you looking for here? Acceptance and support for your misdirected anger?  Absolution? Something to ease your vaporous conscience?

Shouldn't your ire be directed toward the dickweed dead ex-husband?

Ok, go ahead, blow her fucking brains out. I don't fucking care. That'll show her. That'll show EVERYONE!

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Life Insurance Plans = Bad News for You

The only way someone benefits from it is if you die.  I'd rather not give someone a reason to see me dead or see me as worth more dead than alive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Tough room tonight.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#11]
If you get a good attorney you could try to challenge the will.  Ususally next of kin will trump an ex wives claim, especially when you are talking about children.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:30:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you get a good attorney you could try to challenge the will.  Ususally next of kin will trump an ex wives claim, especially when you are talking about children.  

Yes check with a lawyer. In many states a divorce automaticly removes a  spouse as a benificery of a life insurance policy unless the insured fills out the paper work to reinstate/continue the coverage if this is the case the benifits would follow the normal route of inheiritance if he had not desinated a new benifiary.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes check with a lawyer. In many states a divorce automaticly removes a  spouse as a benificery of a life insurance policy unless the insured fills out the paper work to reinstate/continue the coverage if this is the case the benifits would follow the normal route of inheiritance if he had not desinated a new benifiary.

Lissen to de man.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you.  I will check it out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#15]
He screwed up.

The money is the ex's.

Period.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#16]
It's just a bitch is all.  She sent the daughters twenty dollars for christmas.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks.  But right now what we're after is the cleansing, warming glow of revenge.  Sneaky, and preferably legal.

The two will not be synonymous ( revenge and legal). The man did not keep his paperwork up-to-date, which was his burden to do. The rest of you may not like it, but the designated person got the money. There is nothing more you can do that will not get you in a world of trouble.Maybe the rest of the posters here can learn from his mistake.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#18]
The dead ex screwed up...  Apparently he didn't care enough to take care of his child no matter what.  If he actually cared there would have been a policy dedicated to the support of the child until that child is 18.  By what you describe, if he had died while he was still married, the child and mother would have been in the same boat they are in now.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#19]

I would think the children would have claims to their father's estate.  The life insurance may be a lost cause (would still investigate it), but surely he didn't die with no other property.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

this is the route I'd go....  lawyer up buttercup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top