Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/20/2005 1:08:24 PM EDT
I have a 12yr old Blue Heeler that has worked her A$$ off for me her whole life. With the weather being as cold as it is she is really sore in her hips and is having a hard time getting up and walking.

Is it safe to give her 1 ibuprofin?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:10:17 PM EDT
Dunno about 'safe', but I've given my gun dogs aspirin, tylenol and ibuprofen in the past with no ill effects.

I'm sure our resident vets will be along though
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:11:51 PM EDT
No, used buffered aspirin. I give my poor arthitic lab 2 a day in a small piece of sandwich cheese.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:12:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ironoxbows:
Dunno about 'safe', but I've given my gun dogs aspirin, tylenol and ibuprofen in the past with no ill effects.

I'm sure our resident vets will be along though

I've done the asprin thing too, but I don't have any in the house. Nothing but ace out in the barn, and I ain't going there.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:12:53 PM EDT
Maybe half of one, we give ours allergy pills cut in half on occasion, no problems and it seems to work well. BTW, it sounds like you have a cool dog.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:14:00 PM EDT
You should not give a dog Tylenol. Aspirin is what you need to use but know that at high doses it is also toxic. Use 5mg to 10mg per pound of dog, every 12 hours.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:14:31 PM EDT
Call the vet and ask.. to be safe.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:35:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildlandFirefighter:

I've done the asprin thing too, but I don't have any in the house. Nothing but ace out in the barn, and I ain't going there.

ummm, no....don't blame ya there
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:40:40 PM EDT
I don't have any documentation to back it up just what I've heard and to be honest I don't recall where I heard it BUT I would recommend NO to the Ibuprofin. Call a vet to get a better answer.

Patty
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:49:19 PM EDT
NO to Ibuprofen. It is toxic to dogs. Childrens buffered aspirin is what you should use.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:49:56 PM EDT
My vet cautioned against it, FWIW.

Might try buffered aspirin, it's supposed to be safe in child-sized doses.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:51:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:
My vet cautioned against it, FWIW.

Might try buffered aspirin, it's supposed to be safe in child-sized doses.

Just got off the phone with the vet. No ibu, said baby asprin.

Thanks

Trav
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:55:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fxntime:
NO to Ibuprofen. It is toxic to dogs. Childrens buffered aspirin is what you should use.

+1 Baby Asprin, Pepto, Pepcid AC all are A OK...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:06:46 PM EDT
I went through the same thing with our dog and vet.

Ibuprofen - no, its hard on the kidneys and doesn't work well for dogs anyway.

Asprin - Well, yes, if you don't have anything else. If you use coated asprin (and most are coated these days) you risk the pills going straight through, because the stomach acids are different - scrape a portion of the coating off -- I used a serrated knife. Insert into a lump of cheese and they will eat it ok. The vet was not terribly happy with asprin for a dog - again its somewhat hard on the kidneys/liver.

I ended up getting the product the vet reccommended Metacam, it works ok, just costs ~$60/month Its an NSAID -- not Rimadyl, that is a bit brutal...

He also gets glucosamine/chrondroitin every day.
Top Top