Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Some minimum wage retard of a stockboy screwed up.

Why make an ass out of yourself?

I stopped going to the PX and the Commissary because of stuff like this.  In CONUS, you're better off at civilian stores.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I stopped going to the PX and the Commissary because of stuff like this.  In CONUS, you're better off at civilian stores.

Better than the Commissary? I think not. You can't beat the prices there. Cereal on the economy costs way more. The commissary is one of the best benefits of having an ID card.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better than the Commissary? I think not. You can't beat the prices there. Cereal on the economy costs way more. The commissary is one of the best benefits of having an ID card.

We did the math, and we found little or no difference in our food bills. Also, more convenient as we didn't have to go on Post to go grocery shopping.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm trying to find an inexpensive DVD ROM drive for a single mom, customer of mine.

I call 4 stores- CompUSA guy says they have DVD burners for $29.95.
I ask him to confirm the info- he says the have Mad Dog / I/O Gear / Memorex / CompUSA brand at that price.

30 minutes to drive there - guess what?? NO DVD DRIVES FOR $29.95.
Punk ass manager offers me a drive for $59.!!!!!
He won't make it good, and basically tells me he can't/won't help me.

You called them two different things here.  Did you call them different things on the phone?  Did you ask for a cheap DVD Rom or a cheap DVD Burner?  There is a big diference and I know you can get DVD Roms for $30 not DVD Burners.  Not to flame you but some people just slip up on the words the use (Rom or Burner) and that would make a world of difference, I have done it before too.

For people that have not worked in Retail you can't completely understand what it is like. (And trust me, you don't want to )  There are too many people trying scams and other bullshit it is amazing!  If your deal with the filters would have come up at my store I would have given you one at that price just to keep it somewhat fair, but the rest would have been full price.

Now don't get all pissed everybody I am not trying to flame people.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Soooo.. the store can do anything it wants, charge any price it wants, it can overcharge their customers as much as they will stand.
Nice way to do business.

Obviously.

Or would you prefer the government regulate all prices, and ensure that all items are in thier proper locations comrade?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
THe store doesnt owe you nothing, people at stores are human too, they make mistakes. if the price is wrong jsut get another one if you cant afford the higher price one. go back and get the 6.95 one. did you want to rip off the store? or would you want to be an honest person and recognize there mistake and go on?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We did the math, and we found little or no difference in our food bills. Also, more convenient as we didn't have to go on Post to go grocery shopping.

I agree; we didn't find much  $$ benefit to shopping there,and prefer the better quality of the store we do shop at regularly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I work days at a Walgreens in NW Arkansas.  If the tags says one thing, and the item is another, we give it to the customer for the tag price, UPC notwithstanding.  Now, if it says "Keebler Cookies, 14oz", and they have a 64oz box, they're not going to get it.  We expect people to READ the tags, but its stupid to expect people to check the UPC.  

Also, we have weekly sales that end Saturday night.  Sunday morning, we are bound to have customers find ad tags from the previous week on the shelves.  We ALWAYS honor them.  If the volume is low enough, we go back and grab the tag off the shelf.  If not, we page someone who isn't as busy to go get it.  

Try shopping at a more customer-friendly store.  I never thought I'd enjoy working retail, but where I'm working now, there is honestly a good deal of care for our customers, and the workplace is better for it.  There is also respect between employees, and get this - TRUST.  If I'm working the register, I don't have to call a manager for every little thing.  I can change prices, do exchanges, give and accept rainchecks - on my own.  The only thing I need a manager to do when I'm doign register is a return, that requires the little manager's key.  I'm told the only reason this is done is so the paperwork is more centralized, and every employee doesn't have to handle return paperwork every day.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
People talking about matching the UPC code: Have you noticed how many bar codes modern items can have?

You could be there for 10 minutes checking every code on the box against the code on the price tag.  I've had several experiences where me and the clerk at the counter are hunting bar codes on the box to try to figure out which one needs to be scanned as the register keeps rejecting.  And now  I have noticed items starting to have serial number bar codes, lot/plant bar codes, and other things which must be scanned successively when the purchase is made.

Most stores don't even bother having the price near the item for sale anymore.  They seem to arbitrarily place the prices across the racks and then stack the items up full, since most stores use the no warehousing--everything on the floor business model to cut costs.  So you typically have a set of shelves, completely full of items that are in no particular order.  And price tags stuck on the edges of the shelves no where near the products they represent.  What you as a consumer are expected to do is to match the item description on the tag with the item.  If the tag description is insufficient to differentiate which product it represents, then that is the stores fault, and the lowest price found should be charged.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
if the ups code didn't match they don't owe you anything.

you were wrong for trying to force them into losing money.

+1

A mistake on their part doesn't allow you to steal from them.

Their was a recent thread on a upc sticker changer who was caught.   If he does it it is theft.  If the store does it it somehow makes it ok for you to take advantage.

With customers like you, its a wonder we can keep finding people willing to run a business.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, I guess I HAVE to weigh in here since I have worked retail over 18 years + I have intimate knowledge of the workings for price in AAFES/PX/BX.

As far as the price on the shelf is concerned, if the item itself is not marked, unfortunately, it is caveat emptor - you simply must check the tag to make sure it matches. without having seen the filter package or the sign, it's really hard to know what I would have done in that situation. However, for the most part, scamming customers have made it tough to find a compromise on these things.

On an average, the prices in the PX/BX I have found to be @ 20% lower TOTAL. In other words, I may spend more on some things, but I have always spent less there. Let's not forget NO SALES TAX.

<RANT/ON>
Usually when things are 70% off, it is because they are clearing out less sellable merchandise. It is common sense that it is harder to sell a  XS or 3X but pretty simple to sell a Large or XL - so why would you expect them to lose money on the popular sizes like they most assureadly are doing on the others? C'mon folks - all companies MUST make money to stay in business. How long do you think your favorite gun store would stay in business selling stuff at 70% off? Unfortunately, too many people are happy buying the cheapest stuff or jumping on the best deal when the store is losing it's shirt and then complain when Wally World is the only place left.
<RANT/OFF>

I'm not saying this is the case here, but please understand, the people that work at AAFES/PX/BX have more to do than to stand around waiting to see the next "victim" they "scammed" with a bad price tag. Many of which have volunteered to go to the sandbox and work 60+hours, 7 days a week getting shot at and mortered just like the boys they are there to support. And believe me when I tell you, the employees there don't make diddly and most of them are either X-servicemen or family of one (or many).

I'm done.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:41:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

<RANT/ON>
Usually when things are 70% off, it is because they are clearing out less sellable merchandise. It is common sense that it is harder to sell a  XS or 3X but pretty simple to sell a Large or XL - so why would you expect them to lose money on the popular sizes like they most assureadly are doing on the others? C'mon folks - all companies MUST make money to stay in business. How long do you think your favorite gun store would stay in business selling stuff at 70% off? Unfortunately, too many people are happy buying the cheapest stuff or jumping on the best deal when the store is losing it's shirt and then complain when Wally World is the only place left.
<RANT/OFF>

My complaint is, if they are running the clearance racks (not an everday occurance at PX) then once in a while go check the rack. For the most part customers of AAFES are not going to purposely try to steal or cheat them. Also, I rarely see odd sizes like 2x, 3x in AAFES I do not think those size reflect their customers. So it quite common(in my PX) to find popular sizes on the clearance racks. A little diligence on their part will go a longer way with customer satisfaction. This is a minor gripe but a legitimate one.

I have learned alot about shopping at my local PX. If its on the clearance rack, and no yellow tag, I pass on it or will flag down someone working in the area if I really want to verify the item. I also scan everything through the price checkers... you know why? Many many times I find the item marked even lower through the barcode then what is on the actual tag.

My wife and I shop the PX and Commissary always. PX has the policy in effect for a cap at 5% profit. The commissary other then having mediocre fruits/veggies is far less expensive then A&P and ShopRite. My wife saves on average $50 each trip, and its only a 15min drive.
I'm a proponent of AAFES but also a hard working paying customer. There is nothing wrong with having legitamate gripes time to time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top