Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:15:31 AM EDT
I've noticed that if I'm shooting at a target with a well defined "bull's eye", then I can keep a fairly tight group in the center (with maybe one or two flyers). But, when I am shooting silhouettes, which do not have a well defined center, my groups get wider.

Example: Last Sunday I had one of my recent acquisitions at the range and I was zeroing the Aimpoint that's on it. I was using a scope target (grid with cross hairs and a diamond in the center. When I kept the dot from my aimpoint on the center between the cross hairs I was able to put all of my rounds into the diamond (once I was zero'd). Then I switched to a silhouette (which had rings for bull's eye, 10, 9 ,8 and 7, but they could not be seen from 50 yards). After shooting a couple of mags at the silhouette, I found that my group had doubled in size. All of the shots were still COM, but my accuracy definately took a hit.

My hypothesis is that on the silhouette there isn't the same consistent point of aim that there is on targets with a well defined bullseye, so I tend to drift around a little more. Anyone else ever experience this?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Aim small, miss small.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually, I'm the opposite.  I find shooting at a silhouette focuses me, and, I get my
groups tighter.  

I shot drug and armor drills at the range a little bit back and, I was amazed at my
accuracy.  Shooting at a bullseye target my groups actually drifted.

I'm sure it's a vision discrimination things.  

Your way sounds more normal than mine though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Size of target versus size of group is basic theory.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've noticed that if I'm shooting at a target with a well defined "bull's eye", then I can keep a fairly tight group in the center (with maybe one or two flyers). But, when I am shooting silhouettes, which do not have a well defined center, my groups get wider.

Example: Last Sunday I had one of my recent acquisitions at the range and I was zeroing the Aimpoint that's on it. I was using a scope target (grid with cross hairs and a diamond in the center. When I kept the dot from my aimpoint on the center between the cross hairs I was able to put all of my rounds into the diamond (once I was zero'd). Then I switched to a silhouette (which had rings for bull's eye, 10, 9 ,8 and 7, but they could not be seen from 50 yards). After shooting a couple of mags at the silhouette, I found that my group had doubled in size. All of the shots were still COM, but my accuracy definately took a hit.

My hypothesis is that on the silhouette there isn't the same consistent point of aim that there is on targets with a well defined bullseye, so I tend to drift around a little more. Anyone else ever experience this?

My experience to a "T."

That is why a practice for hunting season on lifelike target pictures. Hitting a well defined aiming point is fine for load development and zeroing, but nothing beats shooting at a realistic target to find out how well you can practically shoot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Aim small, miss small.

YES

Put a black circle @ center-mass on your man shaped target...?!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Well,a bullseye is made for just that purpose. It makes you concentrate more on the center without thinking about it. A sillhouette doesn't. Now one thing I concentrated on for competition was hitting the X ring and that was it. There was nothing else I wanted to hit so I didn't look at anything but the X ring.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
It's all about focus.  On a large ambiguous target, you have to focus on getting the "picture" surrounding the sights identical for each shot, or shoot at a discrete point such as a corner.  With iron sights, you must focus on the front sight for every shot - if you alternate your focus from the front sight to the target for each shot, the group will get larger.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I had an instructor tell me years ago that once you put a hole in the target, aim for the hole and not the target
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:38:47 AM EDT
[#9]
 A smaller aiming point results in a smaller group. On a silohuette you have to pick your own aiming point.  Just like you shoot a spot on a deer, not just the deer. One of my old instructors used to say "Shoot em in the Kools" meaning aim for the cigarette pocket area on someone's shirt.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Aim small, miss small.

According to an awful mel gibson movie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top