Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 10:38:31 AM EDT
I'm drinking a Newcastle Brown Ale right now, and think they taste pretty good, though
they cost more than Sam Adams does per six pack here in the US, so I don't buy them often.

But it got me thinking,  some people love Corona from Mexico, but others claim it is considered
crap in Mexico.

So, just looking at what's at my grocery store shelves today, what's your take on-

1- Newcastle Brown Ale
2- Guiness (I know it's Irish)
3- Bass

And is there some other English beer that I should be looking on the shelves for.  And Lastly, should I drink these beers at cool room temp, or refrigerated?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm drinking a Newcastle Brown Ale right now, and think they taste pretty good, though
they cost more than Sam Adams does per six pack here in the US, so I don't buy them often.

But it got me thinking,  some people love Corona from Mexico, but others claim it is considered
crap in Mexico.

So, just looking at what's at my grocery store shelves today, what's your take on-

1- Newcastle Brown Ale
3- Bass

And is there some other English beer that I should be looking on the shelves for.  And Lastly, should I drink these beers at cool room temp, or refrigerated?

Stella Artois

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#2]
That's like asking what's the best soft drink?? It depends on what you like.

I would suggest that you try various types of beer to determine a style that you prefer, then start focusing on that style.  The beers which you mention run the gamut from lagers to ales, from dark to light,  from hoppy  to not hoppy, etc.

Pick a style (for example decide if you like hoppy beers, heavy bodied beers, ales vs lagers, etc., then go from there.

Ed
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Harp.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Harps.

Newcastle is good also.

It's not English but I like the Kirin Ichiban Japanese beer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Samuel Smiths makes a pretty good oatmeal stout...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just bought some of this last night.. They are awefully proud of it, at $2 a bottle. Can't say I like it more then Guiness etheir.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+eleventeen billion

If you're in the midwest, Lake Superior Oatmeal Stout is easily as good as it, though, and it's cheaper. And made locally in WI, if I remember right...

But, outside of those two, I can't name any other good oatmeal stouts...
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't get Hobgobblin around here.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just bought some of this last night.. They are awefully proud of it, at $2 a bottle. Can't say I like it more then Guiness etheir.

Try it..warm. Seriously. I wouldn't touch warm Guinness, but if you really want the flavor to come out...try the Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout warm.

It's taste is almost freaking addictive at that point.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Like with real estate, its all about LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. Some of the best British beers do not travel well; taste great in their home town, but awful when they are shipped across the country. This is one of the reasons Guinness is so popular - it travels well and tastes good everywhere (perhaps a bit fresher in Dublin).
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Harp.

Piss water
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Newcastle is one of my favorite brews. I do enjoy Guiness, but only if the bar has it on tap. Can't stand the bottle version. I also like Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#13]
John Courage
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Try it..warm. Seriously. I wouldn't touch warm Guinness, but if you really want the flavor to come out...try the Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout warm.

I still have 2 bottles left... I've heard beer can go flat from letting it warm after being refridgerated?

So far nothing has been able to compete with Guiness draft. Nothing here in the States at least.. I had a really good dark beer in Holland a few years back. Was a local Dutch brew, wish I remembered the name.

ETA: It was Dobbelaer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Drinkin aaal that Jar will myek yor belly huge an' yee arse as muckle as a kip!  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Youngs Oatmeal Stout
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
Mackeson Triple Stout
Old Peculier
Old Speckled Hen
Mordue Workie Ticket
Holdens Black Country Bitter
Young’s Special London Ale

Just to name some of the better ones you can actually find in the US.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm somewhat partial to Smithwick's (Irish again).  I first had it in Ireland a few years ago and was disapointed it was not imported to the US at the time.  Fortunately, that changed this summer.  It is now available in the US.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still have 2 bottles left... I've heard beer can go flat from letting it warm after being refridgerated?

So far nothing has been able to compete with Guiness draft. Nothing here in the States at least.. I had a really good dark beer in Holland a few years back. Was a local Dutch brew, wish I remembered the name.

ETA: It was Dobbelaer.

No, should be fine...I never noticed a loss in head going that route.

Just a good smooth flavor with a slightly tangy warm aftertaste...just yum.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#20]
US Harp is brewed in Canada.

For my money, it doesn't get any better than Newcastle or Guinness.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Can't get Hobgobblin around here.  

Wrong!  Check out Frugal McDougals near Carowinds next time you're near there.  They have Hobgoblin and Wytchwood.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Bass in bottles sucks, Bass on tap is great!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:02:40 PM EDT
[#23]
If you like dark, traditional, english ales try McEwens Scotch Ale, London Porter or Old Speckled Hen. I travel to the UK several times a year for business. A strange fact is most of the Brit's I drink with like Fosters. Its very popular there. Imagine that!

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

crap in Mexico.

1- Newcastle Brown Ale
3- Bass

Stella Artois

That's Belgian Dude but it is good.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I travel to England 3-4 times each year and one thing I absolutely LOVE about that little island are their beers and pubs.

There's just no equivalent experience in the US...which is a bummer.

In general I prefer the northern England bitters which are harder to find in the US for some reason.

Some of my favourites:
John Smith's bitter (it doesn't travel well AT ALL though)
Worthington's bitter
Old Peculier
John Courage
Many of the Brits I work with seem to like Boddington's.

Also try Strongbow or Blackthorn ciders if you can find them. They're nothing at all like sweet American ciders and have a very crisp refreshing flavor. Strongbow is a little easier to find and isn't as dry.

Probably the most depressing sight...I was out on a Friday night in Hull and in the bars all the young kids were standing around with Budweisers and alcopops. Just sad.

-Observer

Edit to add: I usually prefer to drink them refrigerated and/or cooled. In my experience most of the draught at pubs comes out refrigerated (not ice cold but definitely not room temperature). Room temperature beer doesn't taste very good to me.
All this talk of beer has made me thirsty, one Strongbow coming up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#28]
You might be able to get Boddington's, but my personal favourite is Theakston's Old Peculiar which I can get on tap at a local British bar.

My all time favourite is McEwans 80 shilling, but have nevr found it in the US, only in my native Scotland.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Best brew ever!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top