Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 8:24:30 AM EDT
An I thought my "No that's not lipstick on my collar" story was hard to buy.....

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10492501/

Cecil Mathews, who sits in a Clay County jail charged with the murder of his wife, claims the shooting was an accident. "It wasn't murder, I didn't plan it, it wasn't premeditated," Mathews said.

Mathews said his wife came at him with a gun inside their Oakleaf Plantation home Dec. 5. He said it went off as he struggled to get it away from her.

"Then she said, 'Oh my God, I'm bleeding,' I said, 'OK, I'll call police,'" Mathews said from inside the Clay County jail.

But Natalee called 911 herself. The police report says she can be heard yelling that she is dying and then quickly stating her address before the line cuts off. Records show Cecil Mathews called 911 three minutes later to report the incident himself.

"I can't account for the time," Mathews told Channel 4's Jennifer Bauer. "I don't know if it was three minutes ... that's just what they say."

Mathews admits he tried to take the phone and the gun away from his wife, and that's when it went off a second time.

"As I go to stand up I got tripped up, the gun goes off again but I didn't realize it was anywhere next to her," Mathews said. "I did CPR and held her in my hands trying to help her."

Investigators said the physical evidence in the couple's home and the results of the autopsy are not consistent with his story. They said Cecil Mathews knew what he was doing when Natalie Mathews was shot, once in the neck and once in the chest.

The victim's sister, Regina Hurst, told Channel 4 that the couple had recently moved to Clay County from Texas, and they were having marital problems. She said her sister wanted a divorce.

Mathews is being held without bond charged with first-degree murder. His two children -- 7 and 8 years old -- are staying with his family in Oklahoma. He said he wants them to know that he loves them.

"They just need to know it was an accident, and they'll know that one day," Mathews said. "And they know I love them and why I'm in here now. But daddy will be here for them when this stuff is done, once everything is cleared up."
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:26:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't suppose he could have stuck to his original plan of "What body?"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]
"As I go to stand up I got tripped up, the gun goes off  again"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Well...did he get his moneys worth?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]
He's probably telling the truth about it being an accident.  

Otherwise, he probably wouldn't have stopped at two.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds to me like he's in the right place and charged with the righ crime.

If I was on the jury, I would sentence him to life for the murder and give him the death penalty for felony moron 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top