Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2001 3:03:56 PM EDT
Ordered it Wednesday, it should be here next Wed. I can't wait! I had to order the plain-jane, with the black fiberglass stock, but WTF, I can (and will) always put a walnut stock on it, as well as NM sights, etc. I will also be getting the 6x40mm scope and mount for $100, until I can afford a better scope. The guy even let me have a 20rd magazine *already loaded with 20rds* for........$20! I'd like to put a detachable bipod on it, I was thinking about a versa-pod. Anybody got any better ideas? All will be helpful. I hate to run on like this, but I have wanted an M1A since I was old enough to know what one was, and now, I'm FINALLY GETTING ONE! Any advice from you guys about this rifle WILL be appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
M1 A s are cool. [sniper]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep it well greased and shoot it, shoOT iT, SHOOT IT! Enjoy. Also get someone who has one to show you how to remove the op-rod. I don't have a Springfield(mine is Chinese American) but I've heard they can be a bitch to get off the receiver. One more thing, If it's stocks your looking for go to sparrowhawkm14.com, his prices can't be beat and if you don't see what you want he will get it for you.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Melon Popper,

Congrats on the buying the best battle rifle ever made!

I have some extra M14 & M1A stocks laying around and would be glad to sell one to you cheap if you like. I have no use for them.  The synthetics are better anyway (more accuracy potential). Drop me a line if you are interested.

Again, Congratulations!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
congrats on you M1A! Wish i had the funds to get one.....[:(]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, fellas! Man, I tell ya, I've had a hard-on ever since I left the pawn shop! MtnPatriot, I probably will get in touch about a stock, but right now, my main concern will be-you guessed it, more magazines, and.....ammo. Lots of ammo! Hell, NC?! I may just drive up to ya to get it, when I have the $.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Now you can change your name to MELON BLASTER!
White grease like Sukebe stated.
CMP has USGI parts, trigger groups, op rods...
Happy for you[smoke]
PS chicom mags are good for the range.
I think I will go fondle mine for a while.

Reconxl, I hope you get yours sooner than later.

PPSS Get "THE M14 OWNER'S GUIDE AND MATCH CONDITIONING INSTRUCTIONS" by Scott A. Duff
and John M. Miller. It can be ordered from
Champion's Choice
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations!!!!!  Try Cole's Distributing for mags- their 'like new' mags are exactly that, and the price is right.  www.gunandknife.com is the place to go for M1A questions, if you have any later.  Get a synthetic stock for wet weather, and a spare extractor, ejector and firing pin (just in case).  www.usarmory.com is a good place for spare parts- new or like new USGI, good prices, ship fast.  www.fulton-armory.com if you ever want it rebuilt- they did one for me, it is a masterpiece!  Have fun, you've just bought a real rifle!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm jealous. [>(]

Congratulations and enjoy the heck out of your new baby.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:44:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the tips on where to get parts. I've already started shopping around, and have discovered that parts for an M1A sure ain't cheap! I plan on getting a full load of spare parts, so I'm going to be a bargain-huntin' mofo. I've got a tele stock for an AR, and a magazine for an MP40 I will probably take to the next gun show, to turn into parts or magazines. Unless one of you guys wants 'em.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know if the M-KS recievers are any good. Can some one tell me why some people don't like the springfield armory M1A's? I have one and think it is great. I like it better then the AR15. I like the AR15 very much but I like the caliber of the M1A. There is something about the M1A that just is very right.

By the way CDNN has usgi like new mags for the M1A $49.99 each and they are very good. I bought 4. Unfortunately the M1A is and expensive proposition all they way around.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats on getting a fine weapon.  I have had one for about three months and have only one complaint, I can't get the damn op rod off the receiver.  If you can figure this out yer a better man than I!
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Chairborne Ranger:
Congrats on getting a fine weapon.  I have had one for about three months and have only one complaint, I can't get the damn op rod off the receiver.  If you can figure this out yer a better man than I!
View Quote

The AGI video shows how and once you figure it out it is easy.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the M-KS recievers are any good. Can some one tell me why some people don't like the springfield armory M1A's? I have one and think it is great. I like it better then the AR15. I like the AR15 very much but I like the caliber of the M1A. There is something about the M1A that just is very right.
View Quote

From everything I've heard, MKS M14s are all that and a bag of chips - they're demilled M14 receivers that have been rewelded, and are supposedly dimensionally identical in every way to an uncut M14 receiver. However, despite having received BATF approval to make and sell these guns as semi-autos, and including a copy of the letter with every rifle, I've heard that BATF is now saying they're still considered "machine guns" because the receivers were able to be repaired and made into firearms. I think they did the same thing with DS Arms' StG58 muzzle devices - OKd them for production and changed their minds later.

As far as why some people don't like Springfield Armory M1As, in most cases it's because they have a cast receiver instead of forged like USGI. It's a non-issue, because that cast receiver will last just as long as a forged USGI unless you're putting thousands upon thousnds of rounds through it every week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top