Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 11:15:39 AM EDT
My wife and I both have wanted a dog for quite some time.

We have gone back and forth over what breed to get, although we both like labs (I mean -- who doesn't?), she wants breed X and I want breed Y.

Nevertheless, a friend of mine recently has a litter of labs available (full blooded, with papers).

I would love to get one for my wife and myself for Christmas, however, here's the rub:  she works 3 days a week (12 hour shift) and I work 8-10 hours a day M-F.  That means that 3 days a week, the pup will be alone for about 8 hours a day :-/

Is this untenable?  Should we just give up the idea of raising a dog from a pup and get a rescue dog?  I know people neglect dogs more than that even but I still wonder if that is just too wrong.

TIA.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say adopt an adult dog from the Humane Society or local pound, only because puppies are guaranteed to find homes, the old ones are the one I feel bad for.

Give an adult that has been unfortunate enough to lose his master a better life
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
get a pembroke welsh corgi....best dog in the world.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Im in the same boat so tagged for an idea.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I recommend a small dog, large dogs need alot of excercise and take much bigger craps in your yard.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
get a pembroke welsh corgi....best dog in the world.

Oh HELL yeah, though we had a Cardigan (tail) - I loved our little guy, and hope to get another some day.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd say adopt an adult dog from the Humane Society or local pound, only because puppies are guaranteed to find homes, the old ones are the one I feel bad for.

Give an adult that has been unfortunate enough to lose his master a better life

+1 Do that and get a dog walker to give them a mid-day walk.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't be in a hurry, visit a local no kill shelter, also check out pet finder online and then look for a dog, always remember that apet is a life time commitment.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Now I am not saying that someone should lock their dog up and never play with it but out of all the dogs out there leading a healthy happy life, how many have both parents working???

Since both myself and my wife work full time and I have a lab, yes it does stay at home by itself for around 8.5 hours a day.

Here is the key: when you get home make sure to take it out for a long walk,run,playtime, etc,etc. If you keep it well exercised it will be fine.  BTW labs take about 3 hours to tire out (if mine is anything to go by) all of hard running.  In the summer time it is much easier because you can take them to the lake and let em swim for an hour or two and they get all the exercise they need.

When my lab was still a young pup he would drive us nuts till we took him out and tired him out. Use this to your advantage and make it a training time as well as play time.

If you really do not want to keep a dog locked up for the time you are at work (in a kennel) than you might want to rethink getting a dog. Yes I did say a kennel because if you get a lab pup it will destroy your house if it is left alone for hours with free run of the house.

Good luck withever way you decide to go.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#9]
IMHO puppies should not be left alone for long periods of time.  It will lead to separation anxiety and long term problems.  It is one of the reasons why your neighbor's dog barks all the time.  Also, as mentioned by none Labs are destructive.  That 'chew up everything' phase will last till they are about 2.5 years old.

I would suggest a pair of adult dogs.  There will be no 'mistakes' in the house, less destruction (but still some, Labs have jaws like hydraulic shears...) and they can keep each other company for the 8-10 hours you are away each day.  

Dogs are social animals and when excluded from the pack they go nuts, bark, and dig your yard into oblivion.  

Get both.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on what none said. You are buying a pure-bred. They will have more initiative than many people you know, i.e. ... if you don't give him a job, he will give himself one, and this could be VERY destructive. As soon as I learned this and started playing every day with my 1st English Springer, he no longer felt the need to dig a hole big enough to fit a VW in every day.   It is a big responsibility.
Stay safe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top