Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 9:02:08 AM EDT
...as featured at Cableas...

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0014948516866a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=sportz+III+truck+tent&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.22&Go.x=23&Go.y=11&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=sportz+III+truck+tent&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

Seems like a nifty idea...and I like the idea of sleeping off the ground better.

Anyone use one?  Opinions?

Problem is that I'd be using it in a Toyota Tacoma....so it might be a bit cramped for two people.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Do they sell a liner to turn the truck bed into a pool as well?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you suggesting this is a rather silly idea?

Quoted:
Do they sell a liner to turn the truck bed into a pool as well?

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
get a guidelite pad and a good bivvy and sleep in the truck bed.  If you need cover, drive the truck under your EZ-up.

-Luke
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
It seems like a good idea to me. Lots of folks who want to go camping do not necessarily have the skills to select a proper tent site. More than a few unhappy campers wake up every year in several inches of water because they thought they were on high and dry ground- and weren't.

Then again, the last tent I camped in looked like this:

www.tentsmiths.com/images/rectangular_marquees.jpg

Galland
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:51:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to get this one. I usually have my fiberglass topper on my F150, but would like the option to use the tent free-standing.

Oh, check out the funny typo in the product description:

Cabela's Deluxe Truck Tent
• Fast, easy set-up
• Use alone or attach to pickup topper or SUV
• Gear loft for equipment storage
Pitch the square, free-standing umbrella-style tent alone, or quickly and easily attach it to the back of your truck so you can utilize your vehicle for additional sleeping quarters. Alcove between tent and vehicle snugs tight around vehicle body with web and buckle assembly to ensure a bug-proof, weatherproof seal. U-shaped vehicle opening in rear zips closed when tent is pitched alone. Rugged oxford nylon floor withstands heavy foot traffic. Walls and rain fly are nylon taffeta with 1,000mm waterproof polyurethane coating, so you and your gear stays dry no matter how wet the conditions. Front zippered door and two side windows provide excellent ventilation in warm weather. Door and windows have insect-proof No-See-Um mesh and zippered storm flaps inside. Sturdy, chain-corded steel frame with center hub and Quick-Clips assembles quickly. Gear loft and two inside pockets keep personal gear handy, organized and up out of the way. Includes stakes and carry bag. Imported.
Measures: 9'6" x 9'6".
Center height: 7'8".
Weight: 25 lb. 11 oz.
Sleeps: 4-5.

That's some thick-ass lining! A whole meter thick!!! w00t! Must be a bitch to roll up!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Ya know, despite owning the truck for about 3 years now, I've never pondered laying back there.  I'm thinking it would be kinda cramped for two even with the tailgate down.

Two dudes is definately out of the question.

Quoted:
I'm no help.

I bought one two years ago along with an air matress sized to fit between the wheelwells and a couple of chairs to put under the little porch overhang.

Its still in the bag, I have yet to try it out.

I wonder if Tacoma and Frontier use the same model tent?

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm thinking a meter of polyurethane would offer a fair amount of ballistic protection as well.

You got yerself a mobile bunker there that only weighs 25 lbs.

Quoted:
I'm going to get this one. I usually have my fiberglass topper on my F150, but would like the option to use the tent free-standing.

www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/51/22/46/i512246hz01.jpg

Oh, check out the funny typo in the product description:

Cabela's Deluxe Truck Tent
• Fast, easy set-up
• Use alone or attach to pickup topper or SUV
• Gear loft for equipment storage
Pitch the square, free-standing umbrella-style tent alone, or quickly and easily attach it to the back of your truck so you can utilize your vehicle for additional sleeping quarters. Alcove between tent and vehicle snugs tight around vehicle body with web and buckle assembly to ensure a bug-proof, weatherproof seal. U-shaped vehicle opening in rear zips closed when tent is pitched alone. Rugged oxford nylon floor withstands heavy foot traffic. Walls and rain fly are nylon taffeta with 1,000mm waterproof polyurethane coating, so you and your gear stays dry no matter how wet the conditions. Front zippered door and two side windows provide excellent ventilation in warm weather. Door and windows have insect-proof No-See-Um mesh and zippered storm flaps inside. Sturdy, chain-corded steel frame with center hub and Quick-Clips assembles quickly. Gear loft and two inside pockets keep personal gear handy, organized and up out of the way. Includes stakes and carry bag. Imported.
Measures: 9'6" x 9'6".
Center height: 7'8".
Weight: 25 lb. 11 oz.
Sleeps: 4-5.

That's some thick-ass lining! A whole meter thick!!! w00t! Must be a bitch to roll up!

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Bought a Sportz last year and used it a couple of times this summer. Easy to set up once you've done it a couple of times.  A LOT nicer than sleeping on the ground with rocks in your back.

We have an S-10 and it slept my wife and I just fine. Not like a king size bed or anything but still very comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Even if you can make money plowing snow with a Tacoma , you could pull a camping trailer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Kind of takes the fun out of camping doesn't it. Why don't you just go stay in a hotel?

Just joking, I bought a used camper off the internet this year. $50 for a slide in camper. I've used it once, and it is the best $50 I think I have ever spent. Had a comfy bed to sleep in, and a propane heater to keep me warm
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I've slept under my tonneau cover several times..  I just leave a couple snaps open so I can reach out and open the tail gate..   It's fine as long as I park in the shade, it gets warm quick if you dont.   The plastic bedliner is not too comfortable, gotta put down an extra blanket or two, I think that will be fixed once I get a spray in.     The tent idea is pretty neat, I would probably get one eventually.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#13]
my brother has one. he decided to switch back to a normal tent
pain in the ass if you decide you need to go get something in the truck
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a drop in bedliner which has some slots around the corners which look suspiciously like they'd accept a 2x4.

Sooooo...place 3/4" plywood up on top of the 2x4's with some sort of center support to lift the sleeping surface up over the wheelwells and allow for more room....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top