Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 10:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/17/2005 10:37:29 PM EDT by Dace]
I have seen lots of "gift idea" threads but nothing where anyone actually states everything they did.

So for some reason I will, this is what I have bought so far, still need to do a little more for the immediate family

Father - leather bound bible with gold leaf engraved name and inscription from me

Mother - tickets to the symphony sitting in prime dress circle and Amadeus the movie on DVD

Younger sister - two antique maps (well they look old), one of the world and one of south america, she loves latin stuff including men for some odd reason. A book of Calvin and hobbes comics.

Older sister - hardest to shop for, one of those "tell me what you want and I will get that" people. I bought her some smelly stuff from Victorias Secret that she wanted, perfume or something, I just handed the lady at VS a piece of paper with the name and said give me this.

My best friend - a silver flask engraved with "This is better then a gift card, from B" its kind of a joke because he gets everyone he knows gift cards. And I tell him that gift cards scream "I dont care enough about you to think of something to buy" or "I dont know you well enough so heres a gift card." He will get a kick out of the gift, thats all that matters.

I dont buy gifts for co workers or aquantances. I was always taught not to as it creates a sense that the person must buy you a gift then and that should never happen. And you should expecially never by a gift for any subordinates. Again that makes people feel like they must buy you a gift then.

And thats it so far.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:45:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:46:39 PM EDT
Havent started shopping.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:47:30 PM EDT
Brother - Xbox360, Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham Racing 3

Sister - S&W Airweight .38 Special (she just finished her class for her CCW)

Grandmother - Band of Brothers

Aunt and Uncle - South Park seasons 1-6 on DVD
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:50:47 PM EDT
Dad-some computer game
Mom-antique ornaments
Sister- chinese lanterns
Brother-Antique style globe
GF- a bunch of French looking stuff i got at cost plus, cuz she's into that
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:07:09 PM EDT
Jack 5h17.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:12:32 PM EDT
I got a grill and a smoker so far. I don't know what else I'm getting, but I'm probably going to get myself a progressive reloader and several more guns if I can swing it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
Wife- The Garth Brook Collection

Kids- To much to fit here

Me- A case of Radway Green M855
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:49:54 AM EDT
The only person I've bought anything for yet is my younger sister, got her Battlestar Galactica Season 1, and the miniseries Taken (she's as big of a scifi junkie as I am).

I'll get my mom a pressure cooker and/or some books, and my father...whjo the hell knows...maybe a gun that he won't really like (but I will! Only kidding, probably try and find him a tool or three that he doesnt yet have, but needs).
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:02:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:
Brother - Xbox360, Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham Racing 3

Sister - S&W Airweight .38 Special (she just finished her class for her CCW)

Grandmother - Band of Brothers

Aunt and Uncle - South Park seasons 1-6 on DVD

You mus have an interesting family
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:13:13 AM EDT
nuthin wife does all the shopping

I guess I will have to go get hers monday
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:14:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:
Havent started shopping.

+1

I did get one of my presents early. Black Motorola Razr
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:25:30 AM EDT
Bought family and friends a 57 X 60 X 1/2 inch fleece blanket.
Found them at Home Depot for $10 each.
Went to the family Christmas party yesterday and passed out 18 of them.
Sent another 12 out via US mail.

Bought the wife a new washer/dryer set.
I got a SEBR AR15.

Sent the two college students nieces $500 each plus a Webster's Third New International Dictionary and a years subscription to Websters on-line.

Bought some shotgun ammo, clothing gift certificates and 3 months worth of Netflix accounts to the various nieces and nephews.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:23:49 AM EDT
Christmas shouldn't be about trying to have a big payday in gifts. Yes, I put lights up on the house and we decorate inside the house and put up a tree. But gifts at home are normally not expensive and we buy things we want (or think the other person wants) throughout the year.

Call me Scrooge, but I don't believe in giving clothes or household/kitchen appliances as gifts.

So far, as gifts, I have bought a set of sights for the ARFCOM TM exchange, a couple boxes of candy, a 20Q game, Christmas decorations, a few of toys for nieces and nephews, and a ring: 19.6 carat tanzanite surrounded by 3.2 carats of diamonds set in platinum.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:32:49 AM EDT
My wife kicked ass this year. She got me a vintage Boston Bruins Bobby Orr jersey and a few others things.
Top Top