Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Try Drambuie.  Nice n smooth.

+1
Darmbuie, Crown Royal.
Jack is good for bars, but for smooth whisky, you gotta go higher.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It's an acquired taste.

My rule is anything less than $100 a bottle is on the rocks.  Anything over $100 neat.

Personal favorite mass produced is JW BLue Label, neat of course.  I drank almost a 1/2 bottle over a nice dinner a few weeks ago and felt no pain the next day.  I don't recall much after the dinner though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Now Gentleman Jack is in the Drambuie class.  When I mention so many people think I'm talkin slang for regular ole' JD, but it's an acutal liquor but then again what do I know, I'm only 25

There is also some Bombay Sapphire, Appleton Rum Cream, Appleton estate rum, and a few other goodies in there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's an acquired taste.

My rule is anything less than $100 a bottle is on the rocks.  Anything over $100 neat.

Personal favorite mass produced is JW BLue Label, neat of course.  I drank almost a 1/2 bottle over a nice dinner a few weeks ago and felt no pain the next day.  I don't recall much after the dinner though.

I need to go out to some of those type dinners.  

JW blue isn't cheap stuff.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#5]
droool...

Patron.  that is some good good tequila.   got less than a half bottle of it myself right now.

+1 on the Appleton Estate Rums too.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the Knob Creek.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I highly recommend Makers Mark (a Bourbon) for a beginner if you actually want to sip whiskey.  I am amazed that they do not charge three times as much for this bourbon.

Drambuie is also a contender with Maker Mark for smoothness.

Crown Royal is also very good.

Then there is Scotch

Johnny Walker Gold is pretty good

Macallan, only if its the 25 year and your into the sherry after taste (pushin $400 a bottle).   The 12 and 18 can be pretty rough.  Macallan uses old sherry barrels for aging.

Talkisker is for people who like that peat bog taste.

Glen Livet 12, or more preferably the 18 year are good.  Bowmore Scotch Dusk is another good single malt.

Then , there is Johnny Walker Blue and Glenmorangie 18 year going for the title of the best (around $200 a bottle).

There is something called Bowmore 40, which is thousands of dollars a bottle.  I do not know what the deal is with that.

If you want to be French, Cognac

Hennesey XO  -  Its the best.  Any other cognac will taste like paint remover.

How do I come about these opinions?  I have clients with way more money then me, which is good, that like to drink (not so good, sometimes).

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I luv Wild Turkey, but it is not to be toyed with.  As a first bourbon I would steer clear.  Try Jack Daniels, I used to like it but they kept changing it for the worst (atleast for me).
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Try Evan Williams
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Acquired taste.  Not by the mouthful, by the sip, like others have said.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Try Evan Williams

Diet Coke w/lime and Evan Williams, right now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]

<------ I Love Jack Daniels. I've had a glass of Jack with a couple ice cubes and thats pretty good. But Gentleman Jack is wwwwaaaayyyyy better with a couple ice cubes in a glass.

I cannot stand Southern Comfort! It tastes like cough syrup!

Grey Goose is a damn fine vodka though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I am the whisky king.  On the rocks, that's ... IT.

Mostly because I have no time for beer and I like my drinks to bite.

No pain no gain.  If you want something pleasant, go throw a jolly rancher into a Zima and start finger diddlin' your bellybutton with all the other girly men.

I commend you for trying though.

I garauntee you...that after 3 shots...it'll start tasting MUCH smoother.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's an acquired taste.

I need to go out to some of those type dinners.  

JW blue isn't cheap stuff.  

It helps having a corporate expense account to 'entertain' clients.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Whiskey is a mans drink if you choke on it, try a wine cooler ya wussie.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
First you need good whiskey not the shit that the homeless is drinking. The good stuff is pretty smooth.

What? This shit was $40 a bottle!

There's nothing at all wrong with the whiskey you have chosen.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a fine whiskey!

It's just an acquired taste.

Don't go drinking whiskey, though, just because you think it's cool.

Eric The(Sober)Hun
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
There is nothing like sipping on good whiskey and smoking a good cigar.

How true....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Whiskey is ok,I prefer Chartreuse http://www.chartreuse.fr . The french are very good at two things: surrendering and making alcoholic beverages (though they still have not gotten the whole beer thing down).  

Chartreuse may sound like a wussy drink just by name, but once your taste buds ignite with wonderful flavor you will be a convert.  It is great by itself neat, on the rocks, before dinner, after dinner, and during a meal.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#21]
First of all, Wild Turkey is bourbon.

Secondly, you have to be a real man.

That is all.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Single malt scotch whiskey is the way to go.  Macallan, Talkisker are all pretty nice.  Its interesting they come in more grades then school.

+$$$$$
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Try Evan Williams

I'm with Dusty on this one.  Evan Williams, with a squeeze of lemon or lime, cut with a little club soda or seltzer, is a great drink.  It's very tasty.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:07:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
+1 on the Knob Creek.  

Knob Creek is excellent.  I'm enjoying this Woodford Reserve I got as well. Both are decent bourbons, and decent liquors in general for the price.

Wild Turkey 101 is some serious redneck shit.  I love it.  A bottle of that kicked my ass one night.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Last night I drank some stuff that was called "La Frog" phonetically.

It tasted like ass and I kept drinking my miller lites.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Whiskey and Good Whiskey is meant to be savored/taste it,,,savor it and taste some more,,,enjoy it's experience
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:16:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How true....

I remember my first good Cuban.  The cigar, by itself, gave me a hell of a buzz.

I mean, who needs drugs when you can have a good cigar and good liquor?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Whiskey is a woman's drink.  Get yourself a nice bottle of Glenmorangie or Aberlour scotch, now thats a man's drink.

+1

Also
Macallan Single Malt Scotch, 25 Year
Laphroaig, 30 year
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:30:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No offense, but it sounds as if you aren't a veteran drinker...

Go slower.  Instead of shots, try a little ice with it and sip.  You may find that you prefer something milder like a Canadian blend.

It's definitely an aquired taste.  I started out on sour mash, but over the years my palate has decided that it prefers the milder blends.

Absolutley none taken at all. The fact that I had to ask about drinking shows that I have no clue as to what I am doing. I would really like advice though.

Best advice is.....don't even get started drinking. If you do drink, buy nips and try different brands and see which is most pallatable to you. Whiskey is an aquired taste and people who start off drinking it are normally repulsed by its taste.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:08:48 AM EDT
[#31]

this is good and the name is bulleit so you can't go wrong

bulleit review

bulliet home

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:55:20 AM EDT
[#32]
SIP!    DO NOT GULP!  

They only do that in the movies.

Like everything else, it's an aquired taste. Take it first on the rocks. Little sips at a time while rolling it in your mouth. Savor the taste.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
First you need good whiskey not the shit that the homeless is drinking. The good stuff is pretty smooth.

Ah yes, sage advice.   A little Beam and 7 works well or try some Crown....mmmmm....good stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1

Good stuff you sip or drink... the not so good stufff you mix.

I love a good bourbon, rye, and select scotchs... and none of the really good stuff (and never a single malt scotch) would one do "shots" with.

Doing shots of whiskey is phony to me.  if its a good whiskey, and you enjoy the flavor... you don't do shots. if its crap... you mix it.  Frat boys and idiots just looking to get fucked up do shots.... with cheap nasty shit and that why they do shots.  To get the nasty taste down quick and as much alcohol in as quickly (and cheaply) as possible.  My $80+ bottle of scotch is reserved for those who appreciate it.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:27:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Amen to that brotha!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:05:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Doing shots of whiskey is phony to me.  if its a good whiskey, and you enjoy the flavor... you don't do shots. if its crap... you mix it.  Frat boys and idiots just looking to get fucked up do shots.... with cheap nasty shit and that why they do shots.  To get the nasty taste down quick and as much alcohol in as quickly (and cheaply) as possible.  My $80+ bottle of scotch is reserved for those who appreciate it.

No Expert

+1

If you're just drinking to get drunk, do it with beer.  It's safer and typically less expensive.  If you want a nice warm feeling, sip on a couple fingers of whiskey.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:12:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Ok I don't mean to piss on anyone's parade but why drink something that tastes so bad that you have to mix it with something to get it down
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ok I don't mean to piss on anyone's parade but why drink something that tastes so bad that you have to mix it with something to get it down

True Dat!  There is no way that people(unless you're one hard-ass-grizzled-mo-fo) really enjoy the taste of that stuff.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#40]
I like to leave my bourbon in the freezer before I drink it. It mellow the harshness for me and the taste comes out as it warms up.

Too bad I have to go to Church this morning, three fingers on the rocks sounds damn good this morning.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

If you buy quality brands there is no need to mix them. If you can't drink it neat your brand is shit. A smooth whiskey/scotch/bourbon is an excellent drink.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If you don't like the taste, don't drink it.  How hard is that?

I drink Wild Turkey exclusively.  No water, no coke, just two cubes of ice.  It suits me but it aint for everybody.

+1 on don't drink things you don't like
+1 on Turkey and a couple of cubes in a rock glass,
repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#43]
This is an absolute no-brainer:  20-year-old Pappy Van Winkle bourbon.  $70 a bottle and the finest bourbon in the world.
http://www.oldripvanwinkle.com/newbs/vw/website3.nsf/docsbykey/HNEY-5FFM32?opendocument
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have had two bottles of a brand of Whiskey called "Wild Turkey Rare Breed". I cannot stand to do more than 4 or 5 shots. The taste is so horrible that each shot makes my face jerk and make me feel as if I am going to throw up. The aroma itself is enough to make me cringe.

To see if this was a normal reaction, I did a quick google search and to my surprise everyone was saying how nice it tasted!!???? They said how they savored the flavor. Me, I have to wash it down fast or else I will PUKE. How can these people do this?

Give me some tips, I have a bottle next to me with a shot glass. Here we go .

"...make my face jerk...."  Good image, and about my feeling.  Some say it's an acquired taste.  Why would I want to get used to something that makes my face jerk? I haven't had any "hard liquor" in more than 25 years, and don't intend to start; I'll stick with an occasional beer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Knob Creek tastes like ass.  I love Wild Turkey, but their Rare Breed is pretty crappy.  Woodford Reserve is good, but I like our Old Forester.  Hard to find outside of KY, but a very good bourbon.

Michael
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Moonshine by far has the worst smell out of all the other store bought brands. It is by far a aquired taste. Beer for a long time had me making a face with the last drink.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top