Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 5:42:40 PM EDT
Hi.  I decided to take apart my Sig P228 tonight for a detailed cleaning.  I striped down the frame completely.  All went well accept the magazine catch.  I put the magazine catch detent in wrong.  Now the magazine catch does not work and I can’t get it out to fix it.  Damn!  

The detent holds the mag catch in.  It has a shoulder on one side like a half-sphere.  I put the shoulder facing to the right if you are looking at the gun from the muzzle.  It goes in facing the left.  What can I do aside from pounding the whole thing out and ruining my frame?  There must be others out there that have done this.  Please help.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#1]
For future reference, there is no need to ever detail strip a SIG, barring mechanical issues.

Ask your question at the gunsmithing section at Sigforum if someone doesn't answer here.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely do not try to pound the thing out!!  You’ll destroy the frame.

I’ve never done it, but I’ve heard of guys using either the tip of an Exacto knife blade or a really thin feeler gauge (presumably cut down) to walk the pin around to the correct orientation.  

An Exacto blade looks too thick to me, but I’d think you could thin it with a stone or some wet-and-dry paper.  Also try to make the blade edge a little ragged to help grab the pin rather than slide on it.

If all else fails, you can certainly drill out the mag release.  Just drill a hole deep enough to destroy the pin’s spring and let the pin fall backwards.   I don’t how hard the mag release is, but I’d use a sharp new drill if I had to do this.   I’d also use a drill press.

I’ve been told that the folks at SIG do this by feeding the drill through the mag well bottom.  Seems to me this’d require depressing the mag release at the same time to get access to the part you want to drill.

Anyway, you’ll then have to replace the mag release, spring and (probably) the pin.

Good luck!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:27:26 AM EDT
[#3]
OW!  That sucks, good luck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can't get it out, send it to SIG.  THeir customer care is great, and you won't mess up your frame!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top