Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 1:58:37 PM EDT
OK, I'm feeling a bit stupid on this one, but before I burn my house down...

I have two boxes - box 1, which is where I would like to put a Leviton PR180 motion detecting switch, has the following wires: Hot, Traveler A and Traveler B.

Box 2, which is where the normal 3-way switch is, has Traveler A, Traveler B and what I believe is the Load wire.

Looking at Leviton's wiring diagram, they have the PR180 wired such that it is connected to the Load.

Is it possible to wire it in the scheme that I have described (where the standard 3-way switch is connected to the load and not the PR180) and how would the wires be connected?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
from what i think you are describing, it shouldn't matter if the 2 switches trade places.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you need a 3 way switch? or is it becase it's already there and you want to remote on/off the detecting device? and not have to woryy about unhooked wires floating around?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
the reason they have you wiring that was is you can still over ride the light on by the second switch. but then you have to turn the switch off or the light stays on.  yes you can just reverse the switches, just make sure the motion switch has power when the second switch is off, and make sure when the out from the motion switch goes to the light. if you need im me an email addy and i will draw it up and mail it to you

scott
master electrician
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top