BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
___

If your not putting away $15-k into your 401-k, you're losing out.  If you're not putting the max into your IRA (tax-deductible or not) you're loosing out.  

I would love to put 15K in  every year but that is almost half of what I earn a year.  I do 10% and Hope I can  use it before I die
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Roth does carry limitations based upon income.  

+1
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I use to do 20%, but backed down to 15%, my company matches up to 6% or more, depending on how well it performs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Max it out...put everything in there that you possibly can. When I retired 2 years ago, I had been putting in 22% between 401K and employee stock purchase. It grows incredibly fast that way, and the sacrifice now will pay great returns in the future. ;-)
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't forget to take out 401k loans and buy those MachineGuns you always wanted.  

I've done it twice.  

Did it once!

But I'm paying myself back at 15%!  I'm raping me on interest charges!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]
87%
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I put 4% in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
87%

Yous is really that high?  I thought there was some sort of cap on it...?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
1.  As much as your employer will match (if any).  You can't afford to leave free money on the table (no one can).

2.  If there's not match or you already max the match out, then it depends how old you are, what other obligations you have, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
87%

You really  should put a smiley or something after that.

Some folks might think you are serious.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
87%

I was completely serious.  I cannot put more than 18% of my pay into my 401k.  I think it might've gone up this year, but I know I couldn't put 80%+ into that sucker.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
The law does not set a percentage limit, only an annual contribution limit. Your plan may vary.

I put 22% in mine.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:16:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Assuming your company's 401K offers decent investment vehicles:

1.  Contribute enough to max out your company's match, then...

2.  Contribute the max allowable to a Roth IRA (If you don't have one, you can set one up with a good mutual fund company that also offers brokerage services fairly cheaply - Vanguard and Fidelity are two examples), then...

3.  Any retirement savings left over should go into the 401K until that plan is maxed.

Reasons

1.  Company match is free money.  In your plan, that is a 50% profit from the git-go

2.  Roth IRA has the best tax advantages.  If a company didn't offer a match for its 401K, then my advice would be to max this plan before contributing to a 401K.  This is my situation.

3.  Back to the 401K to lower current income taxes and accrue earnings tax deferred.

This advice is best for probably 90% of earners.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#14]
15%, of which 9% is put in by the company.  They pay the 9% on salary AND bonus...which is unbelievable....................

Michael
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:32:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
___

If your not putting away $15-k into your 401-k, you're losing out.  If you're not putting the max into your IRA (tax-deductible or not) you're loosing out.  

I would love to put 15K in  every year but that is almost half of what I earn a year.  I do 10% and Hope I can  use it before I die

Yeah, we all wish we could put in the maximum contribution, but sadly for myself as of last year the maximum was over half what I make a year.  I've really got to finish this degree.

As to using it before I die, I just have my mother as my primary beneficiary.  Sobering to say but I expect her to outlive my father (that guy just CANNOT stop working) so putting it to her is a safe bet.

EDIT: My company matched a quarter on the dollar up to 6% and my last years contributions were 12% of my bi-weekly pre-tax.  Was about as much as I could handle and still have money for lunch and good beer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:56:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
87%

I was completely serious.  I cannot put more than 18% of my pay into my 401k.  I think it might've gone up this year, but I know I couldn't put 80%+ into that sucker.

87 is a inside joke at ARFCOM - standard answer for anything.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:31:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I do 9%, get my 4% match.  (taxable earnings)

Also max out Roth IRA for both my wife and I.  Max is now $4000 each per year. (tax free earnings)

$200 a month into a "cash" account.

I feel like it is still not enough.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Assuming your company's 401K offers decent investment vehicles:

1.  Contribute enough to max out your company's match, then...

2.  Contribute the max allowable to a Roth IRA (If you don't have one, you can set one up with a good mutual fund company that also offers brokerage services fairly cheaply - Vanguard and Fidelity are two examples), then...

3.  Any retirement savings left over should go into the 401K until that plan is maxed.

Reasons

1.  Company match is free money.  In your plan, that is a 50% profit from the git-go

2.  Roth IRA has the best tax advantages.  If a company didn't offer a match for its 401K, then my advice would be to max this plan before contributing to a 401K.  This is my situation.

3.  Back to the 401K to lower current income taxes and accrue earnings tax deferred.

This advice is best for probably 90% of earners.

+1  That is what I did before we got phased out of Roth (a nice problem to have).  Now we just max out my 401(k).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top