Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 6:42:01 PM EDT
Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Research

I gave $50.  I dare you to match me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
TAG!  Great idea,  I have a fat grand due on my car in less that 2 weeks or I would match you.  I love the idea.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I am already a supporter of "Jump For the Cause". It's a skydiver organization for breast cancer.

Good idea, let's see you guy get on board with a great cause!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's the charity for prostate and testicular cancer?

I am not a wimmin hater (I love both my wife and my daughter), but I just can't help but wonder why women's illnesses get the lion's share of the attention.

Fuck Hollyweird.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I am not a wimmin hater (I love both my wife and my daughter), but I just can't help but wonder why women's illnesses get the lion's share of the attention.

Fuck Hollyweird.

I would suspect that Breast cancer is A LOT more common and more deadly.  Men can get it as well.  I give money to both.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually, I perfer The Breast Cancer Research Foundation (www.bcrfcure.org/) because most of the monies it receives (something like 80%) goes directly into research grants.

eta: Another idea for those of you who want to acknowledge all cancers is to give directly to the American Cancer Society (www.cancer.org).
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Fuck Hollyweird.

Oh, I don't know - perhaps you could use Google, before throwing unecessary negativity and hate into this thread?   Nice going.  

But I'm sure you're already giving thousands to Armstrong's "Live Strong" campaign, right?  

That's where a lot of my money has gone, but this looks like a great cause as well.  Ultimately, one cancer cure will help other cancer cures.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But I'm sure you're already giving thousands to Armstrong's "Live Strong" campaign, right?  

I send my money directly to the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.  The place that saved my father's life.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Jesus people have some goddamn class and edit all this childish bullshit out.  If you want post a link to your favorite charity.  Other than that quit acting like fucking 2 year olds.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I send my money directly to the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.  The place that saved my father's life.

How's that for a hot, steaming cup of STFU?

So why not just post the link for those that would rather donate to other cancer causes?  ANy cancer donation is good, why crap in a thread that is encouraging support for the cause?

Your post seemed like it was just to crap in a thread that is essentially in honor of Patty?  

My apologies if I misunderstood your intent, and over-reacted.

Glad to hear your dad is doing fine.  My dad has had BOTH prostate and testicular in the last 5 years, so I know where you are coming from.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I recall something in the Bible about being private about giving to charity or tithing. I urge people to support these worthy causes; however, these outward signs and displays are not my style. What I do to help mankind is between me and God, and is, quite frankly, no one else's business.

I'm
anti-AIDS
anti-cancer, all types
and I support the troops.
However, you'll not know it by looking at my lapel, my bumper, nor my avatar. I prefer substance to symbolism.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How's that for a hot, steaming cup of STFU?

So why not just post the link for those that would rather donate to other cancer causes?  ANy cancer donation is good, why crap in a thread that is encouraging support for the cause?

Your post seemed like it was just to crap in a thread that is essentially in honor of Patty?  

My apologies if I misunderstood your intent, and over-reacted.

Glad to hear your dad is doing fine.  My dad has had BOTH prostate and testicular in the last 5 years, so I know where you are coming from.  

www.mdanderson.org/about_mda/giving/
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Anybody ever tell you about the negative aspects of the narrow bike seats and male prostrait ,and testicular problems?  Armstrong most probably brought this upon himself!!!!

If you are going to  spend most of your waking life riding a bike,you might think about a wider style seat!!!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm
anti-AIDS
anti-cancer, all types
and I support the troops.
However, you'll not know it by looking at my lapel, my bumper, nor my avatar. I prefer substance to symbolism.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:31:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Anybody ever tell you about the negative aspects of the narrow bike seats and male prostrait ,and testicular problems?  Armstrong most probably brought this upon himself!!!!

If you are going to  spend most of your waking life riding a bike,you might think about a wider style seat!!!

You are definitely God's gift to cancer research, bicycle racing. and the English language all wrapped up into one phenomenal package.  Your insight is truly breathtaking.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Why so much negativity towards the pink ribbon avitars?I am pretty dumb,maybe the dumbest person on this board and I realize that by changing my avitar to a pink ribbon I am not curing cancer.To me it is about encouraging and maybe lifting the spirits of a fellow arfcomer,Patty,who is fighting this disease.This isnt directed at any one person,but it seems to me there is a lot of hostility about this.And I always prided myself on being a hatefull fucking prick
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:50:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Why so much negativity towards the pink ribbon avitars?I am pretty dumb,maybe the dumbest person on this board and I realize that by changing my avitar to a pink ribbon I am not curing cancer.To me it is about encouraging and maybe lifting the spirits of a fellow arfcomer,Patty,who is fighting this disease.This isnt directed at any one person,but it seems to me there is a lot of hostility about this.And I always prided myself on being a hatefull fucking prick

Ever see the Sienfeld where Kramer goes on an AIDs fund raising walk and doesn't wear the ribbon? Kramer's view pretty much sums up my POV.

The basic jist of the episode was the implication if you do not wear a ribbon, you don't care. I know that is not all people; however, there are those people like that. And there are also the people who think "I've got my ribbon, I've done my part." There is more to making a difference than wearing a bit of cloth.

As long as you don't pass judgement on those of us who don't "wear the ribbon" and realize the ribbon is only symbolism, then I have no problem with you and you should have no problem with me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:58:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever see the Sienfeld where Kramer goes on an AIDs fund raising walk and doesn't wear the ribbon? Kramer's view pretty much sums up my POV.

The basic jist of the episode was the implication if you do not wear a ribbon, you don't care. I know that is not all people; however, there are those people like that. And there are also the people who think "I've got my ribbon, I've done my part." There is more to making a difference than wearing a bit of cloth.

As long as you don't pass judgement on those of us who don't "wear the ribbon" and realize the ribbon is only symbolism, then I have no problem with you and you should have no problem with me.

Oh GOD - I remember that episode - ROFL.

To paraphrase another Seinfeld:

Ribbon Nazi - "No Rubber Bracelet for you!  6 months!"
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all,would be kinda dumb to think that anyone that didnt change their avitar was pro breast cancer.It wasnt even really this thread,just in a couple of others I got the impression people thought that this was just about cancer,which to me it isnt,its about showing support for a fellow arfcomer in a time of need.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:09:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I temporarily changed my avatar to lift the spirits of an oustanding member of this site.It made Patty happy,and that's all that really matters to me regarding the ribbon avatars.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:14:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I temporarily changed my avatar to lift the spirits of an oustanding member of this site.It made Patty happy,and that's all that really matters to me regarding the ribbon avatars.

Huge +1,to me this is what this was all about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

"It's the thought that counts, not the action."
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:20:10 AM EDT
[#24]
It was meant as a good gesture for a member here.

Some of us don't agree with it and still wish her well.

Let's leave it at that and not get into the whole ribbon debate now, maybe some other time. If we get into the whole debate now it will lesson the gesture.

Let's agree to disagree,  agree to keep Patty in our prayers, and leave it at that until Patty makes a full recovery, which I know in my heart she will. Then we'll debate the whole ribbon thing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:51:00 AM EDT
[#25]
id rather give money to the humain society or the aspca.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
id rather give money to the humain society or the aspca.

So animals are more important to you than your fellow man?  You must live alone in a cabin full of cats and dogs.

And you should spend some of that money on grammar and spelling lessons.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#27]
While I would be all for giving money, I think that the best support cannot be bought.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#28]
I've given to the Stephanie Spielman Foundation several times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top