Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 4:47:21 PM EDT

I am just beginning the process of getting my first silencer, for 22lr.

If all goes smoothly, I will probably get hooked and want to silence other stuff.  I got to thinking, what happens when you fire a 9mm round through a silencer designed for 45ACP?

OBVIOUSLY!  You should never ever ever fire a .223 out of a silencer designed for 22lr.  The blast is very very different and the silencer would....as the dealer selling me the silencer told me when I asked him to make sure....turn into a grenade.

But a 45 is big, and the delta between 9mm velocity vs. 45 velocity is only about 200-300fps.

What would happen?

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you'd be just fine shooting a 9mm through a .45 can.  it just wouldnt be as quiet
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think you'd be just fine shooting a 9mm through a .45 can.  it just wouldnt be as quiet

That's what I was thinking.  Getting a 45ACP can would be a cheap way to silence the 45's, the 40's the 9mm's.  Not perfect, but not bad if on a budget.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't hurt a thing...it would just be louder than a (good)9mm can.  Hell, I shoot .300 Whisper through my Raptor 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably it would just be a little louder.

But then again, we're just a bunch of internet yahoos pulling this stuff out of our asses. I'd take some precautions before actually trying it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
By the time you got all the bbl sizes and threads to line up with the .45 can and its threads, you could have just bought a few more cans in various calibers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]
AFAIK, it will supress the report, but not as well as a 9mm can would.   You can always use a can on a smaller caliber round without risk of harm, unless, say, you get a 9mm Luger (pistol) can and throw it on a.. say... 338 Lapua Mag... the pressure might be too much and harm the baffles.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
AFAIK, it will supress the report, but not as well as a 9mm can would.   You can always use a can on a smaller caliber round without risk of harm, unless, say, you get a 9mm Luger (pistol) can and throw it on a.. say... 338 Lapua Mag... the pressure might be too much and harm the baffles.  

Or make the suppressor explode?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Chuck Norris would roundhouse kick you in the head and take your silencer for using a 9mm [cough]pussy[/cough]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Chuck Norris would roundhouse kick you in the head and take your silencer for using a 9mm [cough]pussy[/cough]

YEAH!  We all know real men only use .25acp!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Probably it would just be a little louder.

But then again, we're just a bunch of internet yahoos pulling this stuff out of our asses.

Um.  Not all of us.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I have shot 9MM through a .45 suppresor. Oddly enough, it's only slightly louder than using the identical model 9MM suppressor.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'ld have thought it would be more than slightly louder as you not only have more clearance but most 9mm rounds are super or trans-sonic and 45s are subsonic, you would also have the "sonic boom" to contend with.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#13]
After reading up on how loud some of the 45acp silencers are I doubt I will head that route.  The 9mm subsonic can get very quiet and I want something that is nice to use with no hearing protection.

Over in the nfa forum of this site someone has lots of measurements for how loud a silencer happens to be.  There are links to a site with the measurements.

In one discussion someone said that running a 308 bullet through one companies 308 silencer was X.  It then was mentioned that running a 308 bullet through that companies 338 lapua silencer was also just about X.  The lapua silencer was 2 inches longer and maybe a bit bigger around, I forget.  Anyway, there is more to what makes a silencer work than how well the bullet fits the hole in the silencer.

For best results you should of course consider going with a silencer for each round, but that gets expensive.

And if you have a handgun that takes aftermarket barrels, like a glock 40s&w and you want to use the 9mm aftermarket barrel in that gun, you have some versatility.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you have to be able to fit the silencer to the gun and there was some discussion about that being a problem if you want to use one silencer on several guns.  If you are using aftermarket barrels in the gun then the outer diameter is the same.  If using several different types of handguns the outer diameter may not be the same.

The only problem with reading up on silencers is that I am not interested in one of the 44mag bolt guns a couple make.  They are quiet and very accurate.  I think it would be great to not bother the neighbors while shooting.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:01:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a .45 can from AAC that I use on an HK UPS Tactical.

Wet or dry there is absolutely no need for hearing protection.  It is very quiet, especially out in the country where there are not a lot of obstructions.  If I shoot the can wet, and I am out in a field with no trees or hills for miles, all you hear is the slide movement, the brass hit the ground and the impact of the bullet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:19:04 AM EDT
[#16]
nevermind... BeerSlayer said it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#17]
What about a .22 out of .223 can?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Works great! When I put my Ciener kit in my suppressed AR15 and use Remington Subsonic .22 it's Hollywood quiet and a great deal of fun--I can shoot in my backyard!

aa
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works great! When I put my Ciener kit in my suppressed AR15 and use Remington Subsonic .22 it's Hollywood quiet and a great deal of fun--I can shoot in my backyard!

aa

What about a Ar .223 can with 1/2-28 threads being also used for a .22 say a 10-22?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.  Getting a 45ACP can would be a cheap way to silence the 45's, the 40's the 9mm's.  Not perfect, but not bad if on a budget.

You are gonna run into the issue of proprietary silencers. In other words the diameter of the threads on a .45 barrel will be very different from those of a .40 or 9mm. Cans are pretty cheap, just buy the right ones.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

aa

What about a Ar .223 can with 1/2-28 threads being also used for a .22 say a 10-22?

It'll work fine as long as it will thread on. As posted before, just don't try the reverse!

aa
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Cans are pretty cheap, just buy the right ones.

Cheap compared to what? Entry price is at least $350 ($150 + $200 tax). That's one whole used Glock, or 2 cases of ammo, or 50 pizzas. Either way that ain't cheap in my book.

It is "poor man's Class 3" though, which is why I bought my .223 can. That's also why unless I hit the lottery I'll never actually buy a machine gun--I can get pretty much every gun and gun accessory I every wanted for the price of one M16 (and I'm working on satisfying that list ). But it still ain't cheap.

aa
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cans are pretty cheap, just buy the right ones.

Cheap compared to what? Entry price is at least $350 ($150 + $200 tax). That's one whole used Glock, or 2 cases of ammo, or 50 pizzas. Either way that ain't cheap in my book.

It is "poor man's Class 3" though, which is why I bought my .223 can. That's also why unless I hit the lottery I'll never actually buy a machine gun--I can get pretty much every gun and gun accessory I every wanted for the price of one M16 (and I'm working on satisfying that list ). But it still ain't cheap.

aa

Pretty cheap as far as NFA items go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top