BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 12:04:27 PM EDT
use the link to see photos and the rest of the story below -

www.boeing.com/news/frontiers/i_history.html

The DC-3, which changed how we flew, made its 1st flight 70 years ago

BY LARRY MERRITT

Seventy years ago, one of aviation's best-known and most-loved airplanes was born. On Dec. 17, 1935, the DC-3 made its first flight.

It was the plane that changed the way the world flew. The DC-3 made commercial air travel popular and airline profits possible. Its commercial and military service over seven decades has made it an aviation legend.

But in 1935, no one at the Douglas Aircraft Company (now part of The Boeing Company) anticipated the fame the DC-3 would attain. The DC-3's takeoff from Clover Field in Santa Monica, Calif., aroused little excitement. A notation in the flight log of flight engineer Frank Collbohm, who was aboard the airplane, states the flight was "rather routine." No members of the press were present, no company executives stood on the flight ramp to congratulate the crew, and not a single photograph was taken—or at least none exists in company archives.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...and not a single photograph was taken—or at least none exists in company archives.

It's my understanding that Douglas Long Beach had a massive amount of historical photos and when the merger was a done deal the Boeing historian in Seattle shitcanned a lot of the historic pictures.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The DC-3 (and the C-47 Military version) is one of the coolest looking planes ever.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The DC-3 is one of the greatest airplanes ever.  

AeroE, have you ever seen the one the TWA guys are putting together at MKC?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...and not a single photograph was taken—or at least none exists in company archives.

It's my understanding that Douglas Long Beach had a massive amount of historical photos and when the merger was a done deal the Boeing historian in Seattle shitcanned a lot of the historic pictures.

There is still a huge archive in Long Beach.  I know there are B-17 drawings and manuals out there plus info about other old Douglas prodcuts, I don't know about DC-3 info.

We throw stuff out continuously to make room for less interesting current junk.  The real treasures are undoubtedly squirreled away at the homes of employees and retirees.  I have photos of Little Henry and other helo/vstol projects in St. Louis that I got from the son of the aero guy that was responsible for the props, rotors, and installation.  I have a shelf of antique prop design manuals from the same person.

One of these days I should post a photo I have of a black Naval aviator dating to the thirties - maybe the first?  This is in a box of photos along with artifacts (how about the Christmas menu?) from an early WWII ship (I'll have to go find out the name) that my grandpa's neighbor brought home.  No one around there had any idea he had been a USN photographer.

sabre_kc
No, I haven't seen that project.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Lord Xenu will be pleased.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Next to the c-130, best airplane ever built.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Damnit. You beat me to it. :[
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damnit. You beat me to it. :[

Perhaps you should pay for more auditing, slacker.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Dad flew -3's for years. Started in the airline Biz in the early 60's on them. He said flying it was great, but if you didn't pay attention you could get in trouble on TO, landing, and taxi.

Happy B-day  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Dad flew -3's for years. Started in the airline Biz in the early 60's on them. He said flying it was great, but if you didn't pay attention you could get in trouble on TO, landing, and taxi.

Happy B-day  

They have one next to I-4 near Orlando that looks like a crash (for advertising), nose to the ground, with 'Fantasy of Flight' painted under the wings, and a guy trying to bail-out from the rear...

Is that airframe unflyable, or nobody wants to spend the $$$ to make her airworthy again?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#12]
My grandmother was a stewardess on both DC-2s and 3s,for TWA,way back in the late 1930s.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:22:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder how many DC-3's are still flying? It seems that I remember hearing similar sounding aircraft (they have a very distinctive sound) through the 1980's and maybe the 1990's going overhead on occasion. It'd be cool if there are still quite a few flying.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Up until the Mid-90's there were some that came into the Oshkosh airshow every year.

Haven't seen many around last couple shows, tho......

That scene from "Band of Brothers" with all the C-47's heading into Normandy for the night drop was cool....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I wonder how many DC-3's are still flying? It seems that I remember hearing similar sounding aircraft (they have a very distinctive sound) through the 1980's and maybe the 1990's going overhead on occasion. It'd be cool if there are still quite a few flying.

There are about 350 DC-3's, 82 C-47's, 3 R4D's and 17 C-117's that still have valid FAA N numbers.

I would say that there are at least 150 airworthy DC-3's.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes,there are! There was a company who flew them from Columbus IN(old Bakalar AFB),that and CV-340s too. Once loaded one at CVG,not fun loading on a hill!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are about 350 DC-3's, 82 C-47's, 3 R4D's and 17 C-117's that still have valid FAA N numbers.

I fueled one last year!  Most amazing sight i ever saw.   It was in perfect condition.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:50:42 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a guy who has an outfit that flies a DC-3/C-47 painted just like the D-Day scheme,mint condition.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Some day.....After I win the big lotto jackpot and all, I would very much like to own one that had been restored/updated.

(Note to self: Start playing the lottery & take pilot lessons!)

Happy B-day You big beautiful old Bird You!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#20]
BTW,there is an outfit down in Miami that is restoring a DC-7B,still has it's Eastern Airlines interior. You up in MN may remember it whan it sat at St Paul's airport. 3500 turbo compounded HP,YES!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Delta Airlines found,and restored,one of it's DC-3s,looks like it came from Santa Monica yesterday. There is also another,restored in Ozark Airlines,at Burlington-Normal airport.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes,there are! There was a company who flew them from Columbus IN(old Bakalar AFB),that and CV-340s too. Once loaded one at CVG,not fun loading on a hill!

My old employer!!!!!!

Rhoades Aviation.  DC-3, Turbo Dakotas (DC-3/w turboprop), Convair 240/340/440/600/640!

Sadly I think that they're out of buisness.

I have a pic of N157JR up in Canada with the engines stripped off of her.  She was my favorite one of the fleet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:10:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a lot of jumps out of threes. Cool planes!

Nothing quite like coming out last on a forty way and riding that prop blast!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can not substantiate anything that follows, but:

1 -- I assume that there are quite a few DC-3s without FAA N numbers flying arouind the globe; and,
2 -- I read an estimate in the mid-1980s that about 50,000 DC-3s were manufactured, and that about 10,000 were still in service about 20 years ago.

The airframe was overengineered to the point of indestructibility (due to normal wear and tear).
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1, just make sure you bring a book or take a nap...

oh yeah, don't forget ear plugs!  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Basler Aviation, Oshkosh, WI rebuilds DC-3's and does turbine engine conversions.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, just make sure you bring a book or take a nap...

oh yeah, don't forget ear plugs!  

Mr. Douglas had a stereo in it and sometimes we'd dance on the way up!

I read something that has stuck with me for years scrawled on the inside of Southern Cross:

"I'd rather be down there wishing I was up here than up here wishing I was down there."
Wisdom, that is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought the C-47's in Band of Brothers looked terrible.  Obvious CGI and they didn't move right.

For the real thing, get the new release of Island in the Sky. Best aviation movie ever. (DC-3's)

"Dooley is down!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top