Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 6:47:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
and you laugh at the guy that buys (1) 20 round box of WOLF 62gr .223 Rem ammo for his Ruger Mini-14 and he says that's all he'll need at the range today!

Is that a knock on mini-14's, wolf, people's preonderance to eventually do full mag dumps, or all three?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
and you laugh at the guy that buys (1) 20 round box of WOLF 62gr .223 Rem ammo for his Ruger Mini-14 and he says that's all he'll need at the range today!

I feel undersupplied when I take 500 rounds to the range...Per caliber!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Now that is just SAD!  LOL

If time/cost weren't an issue, I'd probably dump 500rds from my AR every trip to the range.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

THat is all he will need today.  He will spend more time clearing jams then shooting.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:59:42 AM EDT
[#6]
He is gonna be pissed when he is done shooting 1 mag.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Would you trust a Mini-14 to fire that many rounds consecutivly without breaking?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]
It's New York state.
He probably needs two of those 10rd magazines to fire up that entire box of 20rds.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ammo good, gun bad. 'Nuff said!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Would you trust a Mini-14 to fire that many rounds consecutivly without breaking? hr

Mine has lasted 5 years so far and approx. 4,000 rnds. and has only had problems with FTF one time because of a cheap gunshow mag (40 rnd.).

The rifle has been  100% reliable.

I know alot of you are prejudiced against Mini's, thats ok.......say what you will.

The only 2 guns that I own that have never ever failed me is the mini & my Sig
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have also had decent experience with Mini-14's   they are not in the same class as AR's but they can be reliable, if you use OEM or very good after market mags.

I have one that has been flawless with OEM mags
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have also had decent experience with Mini-14's   they are not in the same class as AR's but they can be reliable, if you use OEM or very good after market mags.

You gotta remember that a lot of the ragging on the Mini (and even moreso on the P-series) comes from people who have never shot one, much less owned one.  You know......."I heard that the Mini............blah blah blah".

I have had 2 and have had no problems.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You gotta remember that a lot of the ragging on the Mini (and even moreso on the P-series) comes from people who have never shot one, much less owned one.  You know......."I heard that the Mini............blah blah blah".

I can't rag on the mini

But the P series  High center of gravity, heavy as a brick, gritty trigger, I hated the sights, and just hated the gun in general,  it had two good points though It was cheap and it always went bang.

Then again I refuse to own a gun that isn't reliable.  If it doesn't work 100% of the time right out of the box without any modification then I am not keeping it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I have gotten to the point where I take at least a hundred rounds with me whenever I go hunting. I know I won't need more than three at the most but dammit, I just have to fill the ammo bag.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have gotten to the point where I take at least a hundred rounds with me whenever I go hunting. I know I won't need more than three at the most but dammit, I just have to fill the ammo bag.

Its ok man you have to have enough ammo just in case "it is coming right at you"
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THat is all he will need today.  He will spend more time clearing jams then shooting.

It's so true.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, the A-team had mini-14's, they never jammed!
They never hit anything, but that's another story!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hey, the A-team had mini-14's, they never jammed!
They never hit anything, but that's another story!

www.chaelyndra.com/ateam/gallery/dsgpfcs.jpg

They always hit the tires, which was enough to make pursuing cars flip over  and crash in spectacular fashion
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#22]
So I went into a gunshop to buy some ammo for my Mini-14 and this squirrely looking guy gave me the weirdest look!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:30:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:33:04 AM EDT
[#24]
They still make 20 rd boxes of ammo?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Owned both a P-series and a Mini-14.
Function was fine.
Refinement was not.
No longer do I own them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#26]
the mini I had functioned 100% all the time I owned it, it just wasn't very accurate, the first 3 to 5 rounds fired from a cold barrel would hit a pie plate sized target at a 100yrds, but the next 25 to 27 rounds would be all around it, if it did hit the target again it was an accident.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#27]
That would be a huge waste of time.

20 rounds....It would take longer to get the gun out of the truck, uncased, target up, load mag, than it would be to just fire those 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Function was fine.
Refinement was not.
No longer do I own them.

Function is absolutely most important.  Refinement takes a seat way in the back.  I trust my P-series as much as my Sigs or my HK.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf?my p-series is just fine.  I bought a case of 9mm for it from Eric not to long ago...just about time for some more.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Mine has lasted 5 years so far and approx. 4,000 rnds. and has only had problems with FTF one time because of a cheap gunshow mag (40 rnd.).

The rifle has been  100% reliable.

I know alot of you are prejudiced against Mini's, thats ok.......say what you will.

The only 2 guns that I own that have never ever failed me is the mini & my Sig

Thats great that you finally got it broken in.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I have found that most jams with a mini-14 are due to crappy aftermarket mags. If you have good mags, it will shoot just about anything you feed it.

My ranch rifle will eat crappy Olympic ammo all day long and old wolf does not bother it at all.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#32]
One of my laborers was late and needed a lift to a jobsite.  Since I had a free hour I said sure...needed a coffee anyway.   The laborer is pretty cool, so I chat with him about non-work related stuff.  Then he starts hinting about some range time and I take the tangent and run with it, hoping to see just what he 'knows.'  He's skittish about talking about guns in front of his boss, so I respected that.  Never mentioned MY BRD though....obviously.

So with my questions upon questions he keeps opening up more about his gun hobbies and then finally admits he owns an 'assault weapon.'  I act SHOCKED at first...saying "damn kid, you know those are ILLEGAL?!"

and..

"Those shoot those 'cop killer' bullets don't they?"

He shakes his head and looks out the window....

So I ask what he owns...

He says..."Hey, now I dont' want to come off as sketchy or anything, cause I'm NOT."

I say "Hey bud, your secret's safe with me, just between us...truth is I own a few guns myself...like a lever action, shotgun, and a 10/22.  But I've always wanted one of them ... high capacity guns...ya know?"

He says .... "Alright,....see......I own this crazy gun, it's called a mini-14...I've got 3 high cap clips for it too...."

I say "THREE CLIPS?"

He says ..."yeah...they hold like 30 rounds each man....crazy!"

I say "Yeah no doubt....remind me when the SHTF to come find you!"

He says "Good luck!  I'll be out front layin' down some mad firepower!"

I laughed, he laughed....

Poor kid....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
One of my laborers was late and needed a lift to a jobsite.  Since I had a free hour I said sure...needed a coffee anyway.   The laborer is pretty cool, so I chat with him about non-work related stuff.  Then he starts hinting about some range time and I take the tangent and run with it, hoping to see just what he 'knows.'  He's skittish about talking about guns in front of his boss, so I respected that.  Never mentioned MY BRD though....obviously.

So with my questions upon questions he keeps opening up more about his gun hobbies and then finally admits he owns an 'assault weapon.'  I act SHOCKED at first...saying "damn kid, you know those are ILLEGAL?!"

and..

"Those shoot those 'cop killer' bullets don't they?"

He shakes his head and looks out the window....

So I ask what he owns...

He says..."Hey, now I dont' want to come off as sketchy or anything, cause I'm NOT."

I say "Hey bud, your secret's safe with me, just between us...truth is I own a few guns myself...like a lever action, shotgun, and a 10/22.  But I've always wanted one of them ... high capacity guns...ya know?"

He says .... "Alright,....see......I own this crazy gun, it's called a mini-14...I've got 3 high cap clips for it too...."

I say "THREE CLIPS?"

He says ..."yeah...they hold like 30 rounds each man....crazy!"

I say "Yeah no doubt....remind me when the SHTF to come find you!"

He says "Good luck!  I'll be out front layin' down some mad firepower!"

I laughed, he laughed....

Poor kid....

I told the same thing to a guy at work! He said,"So do you like shooting?" and I told him that I used to have some good guns, but lost them in a boating accident and that all I have left is my 10/22 and a .38. He offered to let me shoot his SKS with high caps!

I'm gonna take him up on it and bring some of my stuff to the range.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#34]
He could have bought a box just to test accuracy, function in his gun, blah, blah......

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#35]
My buddy has a Mini-Ranch 14 and it's been flawless and very accurate for him.

I wouldn't mind owning one at all.

HH
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#36]
20 rds is plenty.

by the time his barrel has cooled enough to hit the target after shooting a partial mag, he will be back from walmart with another box.

h.gif
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Function was fine.
Refinement was not.
No longer do I own them.

Function is absolutely most important.  Refinement takes a seat way in the back.  I trust my P-series as much as my Sigs or my HK.

Concur. However, I've found guns that give me both the function and the refinement. IMO Rugers are good entry level guns until you develop "gun tastes."
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Function was fine.
Refinement was not.
No longer do I own them.

Concur. However, I've found guns that give me both the function and the refinement. IMO Rugers are good entry level guns until you develop "gun tastes."

Oh, I have developed "gun taste"...................I have a bunch of ARs in .223/5.56 and .308/7.62, HK pistols, Sig pistols.  Even though I have acquired those, I still have my first pistol, a P-90, and have scoffed up a couple of other P-series as well.

I suppose you think my Savage 110FP in .30-06 and the 10FP in .308 are unrefined even though I can shoot a ragged hole at 100 yards with both.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I've never shot a Mini14, but the few times I've been at the range the same time someone has been shooting one they never seem to miss hitting me with their brass from 30-40 feet away. Those things really fling the empties.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#41]
The very first gun I bought I took home a box of 100 rounds thinking it would be enough.
It wasn't
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I suppose you think my Savage 110FP in .30-06 and the 10FP in .308 are unrefined even though I can shoot a ragged hole at 100 yards with both.

I'm not into bolt guns, so I don't have an opinion.

Quick, someone mark this down on the calendar! I don't have an opinion for once.

Got rid of my Rugers as they were redundant capabilities. I try to keep to a single type for each platform, rifle, pistol, and handgun. To each their own.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#44]
No matter how much ammo I bring to the range, I always wish I'd brought more.

I have a Mini-14 and it shoots great. Doesn't see much action though.
Actually a lot of my stuff doesn't see much action. M4s, AKs and Glock get almost all of it. Still have a DSA Para Congo I haven't shot yet. One of these days.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've never shot a Mini14, but the few times I've been at the range the same time someone has been shooting one they never seem to miss hitting me with their brass from 30-40 feet away. Those things really fling the empties.

You're supposed to catch them so you can reload them later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top