Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 5:15:31 AM EDT
I just went outside to feed the birds and squirrels and noticed that my AC unit had what looks like a blanket of snow around it--completely white.

What causes this, what to do?

BTW, it was about 28* as a low and we got  a lot of rain yesterday, so humitidy was at 100%.

thanks.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]
HVAC dandruff?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just went outside to feed the birds and squirrels and noticed that my AC unit had what looks like a blanket of snow around it--completely white.

What causes this, what to do?

BTW, it was about 28* as a low and we got  a lot of rain yesterday, so humitidy was at 100%.

thanks.

If your outside unit (condenser/compressor) is also a heat pump then when the temp dropped to low it froze.
It is supposed to reverse the direction of the freon and go into a melting cycle.
You should also have back up electric heat strips, yes?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:42:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Check the filters on your indoor unit. If the evaporator coil isn't getting enough air flow over it the condenser will freeze. Also, check to make sure that you don't have any tears on the pipe insulation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top