Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 9:43:46 PM EDT
I was arguing over on a general forum why "eviler looking" weapons shouldn't be banned.

-used in less than 1% of gun crime
-easier to use/learn/maintain
-Not allowing law abiding citizens to get some firearms... while criminals will continue to get whatever they want is retarded.
-it's a freedom granted in our country

etc...

and realized that I put a lot of my argument behind the fact that assault weapons are rarely used in crime. does anyone know where to get statistics for when "evil weapons" have been used for good?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know of any police source that tracks when firearms are used for defensive purposes..minus maybe looking at justified homicides and what was used.  Thats far from accurate though
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I think accurate stats will be very hard to find.

My guess is that when confronted by a homeowner or other law biding citizen with an AR or the like, a bad guy will flee faster than Lootucious with a case of heineken. Most likely these type of events aren't reported. Why bother? In that scenario Lootucious and his buddies will not be coming back when there are other softer targets available.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Why bother?
- gives the LEOs a way of tracking crime shifts. Lets us see developing patterns quicker
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why bother?
- gives the LEOs a way of tracking crime shifts. Lets us see developing patterns quicker

Good point. However, I am not sure I would let the investigating officers know that I defended my home with an AR... I would probably say that I used my 10/22 and 38 revolver instead.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
We probably wouldnt record what you specifically used anyways.  Hell, most guys would probably be content if you said a 22 caliber rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top