BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You mean as one is going about his daily errands?

Nope. Have no need and honestly I don't think it would be something that would speak well of your mental condition.

WTF??????????????

I thinkhe just called us crazy!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Aww.  Lookat all the apologists.  Spouting the VPC excuse line up.  Such winning phrases as 'WHy do you need it.' and 'I don't think it's necessary.'

No wonder we lose so many rights.

My response on Pg 1 is I wouldn't do it because you lose the tactical advantage of surprise.  You would also be stopped by every LEO and might be drawn down on by other CCW holders.  Someone walks down your street with an AK variant and you are not the least interested???  Come on!  That would attract so much attention it's sick.  Maybe not in a small town, but I'm not in a small town.

Apologists?  Give me a break!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Not worth the trouble and attention in contemporary society.

In a SHTF scenario, or a zombie apocalypse, hell yes, my AR would go with me everywhere.

In "real life" if I'd conceal carry even if I was allowed to open carry. Accuse me of being agoraphobic, but it's just a good idea to not upset the sheeple... hanging out at arfcom one tends to forget that the rest of the population actually is NOT interested in guns, and facts about guns and their owners. They just know that they can kill you.

I know what you are doing, you are trying to be reasonable.
Please stop.

I'm beginning to think we need to become like the black civil rights movements.
Say it loud! I'm a gun owner, and I'm proud.
We're here to stay, We'll carry our guns everyday!

After all, now that blacks can sit in cafes and not be bothered, why can't black RIFLES do the same?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Please stop.

After all, now that blacks can sit in cafes and not be bothered, why can't black RIFLES do the same?

So what you're saying(just for clarification, not trying to sound like a jerk) but you're saying that we should be carrying the weapon of our choice, how attention-grabbing it may be, through the streets and everywhere we go?

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that, but you know how many problems we have with "(insert name of business) wouldn't allow me to carry here"?

The problems would be ten fold.  

I have nothing wrong with carrying a gun in public(not that I ever have, or can for that matter since I live in a no CCW state), but I think that there would just be a lot of problems if you open carried whatever the hell you wanted.

Think about it this way...You and I both attend college.  What would a professor, or the campus police say or do when they saw you strutting down the hall or heading into the class with an AR on your shoulder?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would at times, should be LEGAL irregardless. +1 on the vehicle rack though

I'm sorry to be that guy but "irregardless" isn't a real word. I hate grammar nazis but there something about the use of "irregardless" that bothered me. Carry on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry the AR in the back seat of my truck everyday, but not in plain view.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Aww.  Lookat all the apologists.  Spouting the VPC excuse line up.  Such winning phrases as 'WHy do you need it.' and 'I don't think it's necessary.'

No wonder we lose so many rights.

My response on Pg 1 is I wouldn't do it because you lose the tactical advantage of surprise.  You would also be stopped by every LEO and might be drawn down on by other CCW holders.  Someone walks down your street with an AK variant and you are not the least interested???  Come on!  That would attract so much attention it's sick.  Maybe not in a small town, but I'm not in a small town.

Apologists?  Give me a break!

We're discussing legal situations. IF it were legal, no one, LEO or otherwise, would have shit to say about anyone 'walking down the street with a slung AR.'

Are they doing something suspicious with it? Are they threatening someone with it, or behaving inappropriately?  Pop their ass if so.  But if it is legal, and they are 'walking with it' then no one has any reason to 'draw down' or enter into any other sort of histrionics.

And I never said I wouldn't be interested in someone walking down my street with an AK variant.  But my interest ends with what they're doing.  Just because I see someone print or flash a CCW handgun inadvertently in a supermarket does not mean that I 'DRAW DOWN' and demand that they justify their possession of said weapon.

edit:  Typos.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm pretty sure that it is legal here in Texas (as long as it is not carried in a manner so as to cause alarm), but that said I would not walk through downtown Dallas with an AR on my shoulder.

My biggest concern with having people see my guns isn't that it would scare them, but that someone might decide to break into my apartment or my car to steal them.

If I could walk around anywhere I wanted with an AR and no one could legally stop me from going anywhere with it, then yes I would carry one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please stop.

So what you're saying(just for clarification, not trying to sound like a jerk) but you're saying that we should be carrying the weapon of our choice, how attention-grabbing it may be, through the streets and everywhere we go?

I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that, but you know how many problems we have with "(insert name of business) wouldn't allow me to carry here"?

I have nothing wrong with carrying a gun in public(not that I ever have, or can for that matter since I live in a no CCW state), but I think that there would just be a lot of problems if you open carried whatever the hell you wanted.

Think about it this way...You and I both attend college.  What would a professor, or the campus police say or do when they saw you strutting down the hall or heading into the class with an AR on your shoulder?

If it is legal, do it.
If not, work to change the laws.
Look at homosexuals - 25 years ago, it would have been a huge deal for two men to kiss in public, or announce they were gay, etc.
But the public has been conditioned to accept, or at least tolerate, them.

So, we need to condition the public to accept us!
It is our rights, and when I have a CCW permit (my home state is de-facto no CCW) I will open carry whenever possible.
The 2nd amendment is not just the right to keep arms, but also to bear them.
Remember - they are your rights use them or lose them.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#10]
A slung AR15 would get me ambushed and shot , if not by gangs, then by my local police, even if it's legal.

Thanks but I'll pass.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:26:17 PM EDT
[#11]
To answer the original question:

It's situational.  

If it is my opinion that I need to carry a rifle for a particular reason/situation, then I'd do it.

But in the normal course of going about my business.... no.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#12]
You know there was a time when a man wore a suit along with his low riding thigh holster for his six gun.  We got along just fine then, I don't see why it would be a problem now.

If someone has a AR or AK with chest rig and we lived in the affore mentioned environment, everyone carrying a gun, then I wouldn't be suspicious.  If he is the only one carrying it then my radar would be traking a bogey, yes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no reason to, but if you want to, go right ahead.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please stop.

If it is legal, do it.
Look at homosexuals - 25 years ago, it would have been a huge deal for two men to kiss in public, or announce they were gay, etc.

It is our rights, and when I have a CCW permit (my home state is de-facto no CCW) I will open carry whenever possible.

It isn't.  

So I can't.

If I could, it would depend on the situation.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can still recall being downtown in the Maid Rite (a local eatery in Iowa) during the early 80s during hunting season and there would be a dozen rifles against the wall.

It was not uncommon for a person with a slung rifle to be walking down the street running a few errands before going hunting. And while a black AR-15 would have stood out, it wouldn't have created a problem.

I imagine there are still a few places in rural America where this sort of thing still happens but for most of America it would probably result in a SWAT callout.

But if you could...would you?

I think I'd probably stop short at a AR-15 in a vehicle gun rack.

Yep
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope. Have no need and honestly I don't think it would be something that would speak well of your mental condition.

WTF??????????????

Think about it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please stop.

If it is legal, do it.

It isn't.  

So I can't.

Same here - don't think I'd be packing an AR over my shoulder everyday.
I'd pack a pistol everyday open carry for sure, but a rifle is an offensive weapon.
I'd only carry that if I was expecting trouble.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#18]
if i could, my AK would never leave my side. i would carry 4 spare mags on a dropleg on the right side, and my glock 22 on a dropleg on the left side.  AK strapped on my back. my maxpedition M1 (which i always wear anyway) would hold 2 spare pistol mags along with my cell phone, flashlight, and leatherman.

while i was working i would probaly leave the rifle in the car just cause its hard to do my work with a rifle strapped on my back.

whenever i was "dressing up" i would wear my sexy FAL instead, with the oldschool refinished l1a1 furniture i did.

rifles could be the new fashion statement!

would be a good conversation starter.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please stop.

If it is legal, do it.

It isn't.  

So I can't.

Same here - don't think I'd be packing an AR over my shoulder everyday.
I'd pack a pistol everyday open carry for sure, but a rifle is an offensive weapon.
I'd only carry that if I was expecting trouble.

Carrying would depend on where you were allowed to carry.  I saw a news piece last year about  CCW's in Virginia.  Certain places where one cannot carry are churches and schools.  Rules out two places I visit the most.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#20]
good idea, you never know who might be after you

BTW, in Texas there is no provision in the laws for rifle/shotgun carry.
You can walk/ride down the road with it in plain sight, no problem (barring the usual places where it is prohibited)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Why vote, I already do.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#22]
What a fucked up world we live in.

It is more common to see 2 guys holding hands than it is to see a gun in a rack in a truck, much less slung over a shoulder.  

"It is an offensive weapon." - the best defense is a strong offense
"...lose the tactical advantage of surprise.." - Fuckers would not be pulling shit if they sew 1 in 1000 with a gun...
"...get shot by ccw carriers or police.." - Folk where you are at suck.
"...Think you are crazy..." - So even you have fallen victim to the liberals who brand gun owners as dickless wannabe's who are on the verge of snapping at any second and mowing down a kindergarten class full of kids.   I am not dickless, unlike you apparently.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Why can't you?

And yeah, I do plenty of times. Even a truly super evil AK.
I go down the road to get into the forest. Don't go out there unarmed or bad shit can happen:

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I can and I have.

God bless Arizona.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF??????????????

Think about it.

I don't have to think about it.  I would expect a statement like that from DIFI, but not from a gun owner.  You are saying that someone with an AR slung over their shoulder has some kind of mental problem.  That is fucked up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I can still recall being downtown in the Maid Rite (a local eatery in Iowa) during the early 80s during hunting season and there would be a dozen rifles against the wall.

It was not uncommon for a person with a slung rifle to be walking down the street running a few errands before going hunting. And while a black AR-15 would have stood out, it wouldn't have created a problem.

I imagine there are still a few places in rural America where this sort of thing still happens but for most of America it would probably result in a SWAT callout.

But if you could...would you?

I think I'd probably stop short at a AR-15 in a vehicle gun rack.

Well I deer hunt with a HK91 so a AR15 would be a welcome sight where I hunt.

When I was in college I went on a trip through Europe and it was odd and very cool to see the "common" (rare here) SIG 550 Stg 90 being carried by soldiers in plain clothes on the train and in the small little Swiss towns.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I carrya pistol and M-4 everywhere I go here, and although it's re-assuring, it's also a pain in the ass.  I see people everyday that don't treat that weapon with the respect that was instilled in me in the Marine Corps.  ND's, people leaving their rifles in the chow-hall, head, you name it, it's been left there...Most aren't responsible or competent enough.  My .02.

Nicely done - wonder if anyone else figured out you're not talking Main Street USA.  M4 can be a pain in the IZ, M9 is a little easier to carry around. Kills me are the "ND waiting to happen" barrels outside the chow halls even though wpns status is Green. LOL

Be safe dude...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I am pretty sure I can in AZ, we have open carry laws but I am not fully aware of the details.  Either way, I don't think I would.  I rarely carry my pistol openly anyway, it is better to have it concealed...I prefer to be unnoticed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#29]
No I don't want EVERYONE to know what I have.  Its my dirty little secret.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I've done it.....walking several miles to a shooting spot (A quarry) when I was younger. Got stopped a couple times, had to explain what I was doing, but no problems.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Let's put this another way...

Let's just say it's legal wherever you live and from time to time you see it happen.

You are at Burger king and a middle-eastern man walks in with an AK in low port position and a chest rig with 8 mags....

Can we say, draw down?

Just playing Devil's Advocate, (since DevilsAdvocate doesn't post here anymore...)

I wouldnt think anything of it unless he decided to use it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone else worried that putting nice guns on a gun rack begs "steal me?"  I would prefer to either a) keep rifle out of sight while car is parked like I would any other valuable or b) take it with me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top