Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2005 10:36:36 AM EDT
WTF..  remember when you were a kid, and u had those toy guns that shot those little disks?

imagine getting charged with  reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon for playing with that.. no difrance..

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=4190405&nav=0RYv

Teens charged for shooting airsoft gun in Campbell Co.

The teens were firing an airsoft gun similar to this one.

December 1, 2005

By MELISSA DIPANE
6 News Reporter

CAMPBELL COUNTY (WATE) -- Two boys are in trouble with the law in Campbell County for shooting a gun that uses a spring to launch a plastic pellet. At issue is whether the shots were fired in fun or with malicious intent.

The plastic pellet fired by a gun didn't hurt the subject in a 6 News test Thursday. But Campbell County police consider the toy guns deadly.

"He said you know if you were 18, I'd be taking you to jail today," says Larry Humphrey, uncle of one of the boys involved, Josh Humphrey.

Josh Humphrey and a friend were shooting each other with an airsoft pellet gun bought for $15 at a local flea market.

A neighbor saw the boys playing, called police and said they were shooting at her. "The police report says you were shooting at houses and cars. Were you?" 6 News asked Josh.

"No," he says. "No. It possibly could have hit them but not intentionally."

Police charged both boys.

Humphrey was charged with reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon, a charge that sent the 14 year old to court Thursday morning.

"He's like, I didn't know you could get in trouble for playing with a toy. I was like, well Josh, I didn't either," his uncle says. "You've got a kid playing with a toy now he's looking at a class C felony if he's convicted. It amazes me."

Police confiscated both guns.

The charge surprised the toy seller at the flea market in LaFollette. "I was flabbergasted because it is a toy," she says. "I've been shot with it. They sting that's about it. No deadly injuries, no deadly injuries whatsoever."

6 News tried repeatedly Thursday to contact the officer who wrote the citation but he didn't return the calls.

Although airsoft BB guns rarely cause more than a bruise, they can blind, cripple or maim in exceptional circumstances.

It is recommended that anyone using an airsoft gun should always wear safety goggles and not look directly at the gun barrel.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:38:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
WTF..  remember when you were a kid, and u had those toy guns that shot those little disks?

imagine getting charged with  reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon for playing with that.. no difrance..

Yeah, but when I was a kid, that was commonplace.  It was NOT commonplace that kids brought real guns to school and blew people away.  IMO, Airsoft guns are more dangerous than real guns.  A kid pulls an airsoft gun on me or a cop and he might get shot real quick...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
See the date of the story:  December 1, 2005
See today's date : December 15, 2005

Not trying to be a dick, just giving advise to observe.

Dupe.

how about post the link to where this was allready posted here.. if not, it aint a dupe..
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

how about post the link to where this was allready posted here.. if not, it aint a dupe..

Maybe I was wrong.  Sorry if I was.

story looks different.  Same crap, different place.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=416291
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#5]
how can airsoft cripple or maim>  i can see how they can blind one but can they rip off arms and legs, do they the  have the fforce to shatter vertibrate in the spine

hey dont we activly try to ban dirt bikes? thats about as logical as trying to give a kid a felony over a airsoft gun,

hell what would he of gotten with a BB gun,? attempted murder?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#6]
What a bunch of bullshit. Airsoft isnt deadly. It could take an eye out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the state statutes.  It all depends on what the definition of a "deadly weapon" is.  Did you know you can catch a charge of "use of a firearm in the commission of a felony" if you make the threat of having a gun during a crime and really don't?  Doesn't matter if it's real, fake, or non-existent.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anybody remember a couple of months back when some disturbed guy stripped off his clothes and smacked somebody with a yellow plastic WET FLOOR sign in a truckstop? He was charged with assault with a deadly weapon.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]

(5) "Deadly weapon" means:

(A) A firearm or anything manifestly designed, made or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury; or

(B) Anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury;  

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

(A) A firearm or anything manifestly designed, made or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury; or

(B) Anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury;  

So airsoft ISN"T a deadly weapon....DUH!

Stupid Fuckin Liberal backassword Judges/Police
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid fucking poster, why don't you take an airsoft gun down to the mall and start running through it threatening to kill people and see what happens.  

In most states, all the victim needs to have is a perception that a weapon is real or even there for it to be armed robbery, or a shooter needs to perceive that he is being threatened with a deadly weapon to respond with deadly force.  In other words any object that can kill somebody being used to hurt or kill somebody is a "deadly weapon" for legal purposes, and in many states any object perceived by a victim as a real weapon might meet the statutes to be considered a "deadly weapon".

And how many times have you seen the bloviators here proudly proclaim that if a paintballer started shooting at them they would respond with deadly force?  Is a paint ball gun more or less deadly than airsoft?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but when I was a kid, that was commonplace.  It was NOT commonplace that kids brought real guns to school and blew people away.  IMO, Airsoft guns are more dangerous than real guns.  A kid pulls an airsoft gun on me or a cop and he might get shot real quick...

WOW, thats straight off of the DU!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid fucking poster, why don't you take an airsoft gun down to the mall and start running through it threatening to kill people and see what happens.  

In most states, all the victim needs to have is a perception that a weapon is real or even there for it to be armed robbery, or a shooter needs to perceive that he is being threatened with a deadly weapon to respond with deadly force.  In other words any object that can kill somebody being used to hurt or kill somebody is a "deadly weapon" for legal purposes, and in many states any object perceived by a victim as a real weapon might meet the statutes to be considered a "deadly weapon".

And how many times have you seen the bloviators here proudly proclaim that if a paintballer started shooting at them they would respond with deadly force?  Is a paint ball gun more or less deadly than airsoft?

Why don't you tell us how an airsoft meets the definition of a deadly weapon as posted? I don't see anything in that story that said the boys were trying to pass them off as real weapons. Nor were they threatening anyone.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Close the flea market loophole!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Humphrey was charged with reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon, a charge that sent the 14 year old to court Thursday morning.

"He's like, I didn't know you could get in trouble for playing with a toy. I was like, well Josh, I didn't either," his uncle says. "You've got a kid playing with a toy now he's looking at a class C felony if he's convicted. It amazes me."

Lawful arrest.  Wonder if they will get to charge him as an adult.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you tell us how an airsoft meets the definition of a deadly weapon as posted? I don't see anything in that story that said the boys were trying to pass them off as real weapons. Nor were they threatening anyone.

Nor were they in a mall.  Nor where they in danger of being percieved as real by the person complaining.  If there were no windows shattering or holes being punched in the walls as they "shot" at her most people are going to come to the conclusion they are using a BB gun.

Perhaps a little less hysteria can be used when trying to argue on the side of what common sense says is stupid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lawful arrest.  Wonder if they will get to charge him as an adult.

Yes.  Perhaps soon we can clear the streets of those rubber band guns, water pistols, and cork guns.  Then we will all be truely safe from the menace of armed children.  Fry the fucker!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Not to mention if the complainant watched for a couple of seconds they would notice:
#1 The people shot weren't bleeding or acting like they were shot
#2 The lack of a report

These guns are no more deadly than a paintball gun. The only reason these boys were charged were because of how these guns looked.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I actually had this happen two week ago, Short story was 3 kids less then 14 yoa, were out shooting those airsoft guns at passing cars.. off duty police officer sees them, tells them to knock it off and stay off the street.. all three decide to shoot at off duty officer and his daughter striking them in the head and upper body.. numerous squad cars storm my post and get all three, one on one is positive and all airsoft guns are recovered... charges : 1st degree assault, 2nd degree assault, discharging firearm metro area, recklass endangerment, disorderly conduct.  

why first degree?  the lil writing on the side of the gun which says can cause serious injury or death. And also our county code states an air rifle, airpistol is discharging a firearm in a metro area. Of course all charges wont hang since they are juveniles but I think I did it right..
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#20]
whiney liberal weanie woman, screw her at least it wasn't a BB gun war, those were fun!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I actually had this happen two week ago, Short story was 3 kids less then 14 yoa, were out shooting those airsoft guns at passing cars.. off duty police officer sees them, tells them to knock it off and stay off the street.. all three decide to shoot at off duty officer and his daughter striking them in the head and upper body.. numerous squad cars storm my post and get all three, one on one is positive and all airsoft guns are recovered... charges : 1st degree assault, 2nd degree assault, discharging firearm metro area, recklass endangerment, disorderly conduct.  

why first degree?  the lil writing on the side of the gun which says can cause serious injury or death. And also our county code states an air rifle, airpistol is discharging a firearm in a metro area. Of course all charges wont hang since they are juveniles but I think I did it right..

I'd agree with the assualt, endangerment, disorderly.  I think the rest is stretching it.  Calling airsoft a firearm is just a little over-the-top.  Crack down on those damn ping pong ball launchers too then.  Hard to find much that doesn't claim it can cause death or bodily injury if misused for liability reasons.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

No you didn't have this happen three weeks ago. The kids in the story weren't shooting these things at anyone but each other.

What you had was three asshat kids that weren't beaten enough by their parents as small children.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#23]
We used to shoot each other with real BB guns when we were kids. Its just a nosey neighbor being anti-gun/anti kid having fun. Bitch shoulda been slapped for calling the police for a non emergency
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

and that is exactly why you, and those like you, should never be allowed to be police officers.

If you can't see why then you probably shouldn't even get a job as a mall ninja.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#25]
They are treating airsoft as deadly weapons because they look like deadly weapons and are completely un-PC... it's airsoft and replica weapon's looks that make it so that if you rob a store with one, you are convincted as if the weapon was real.

HOWEVER, since the issue here is the use of the "weapon" which is not deadly at all, the charges are stupid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I was being sarcastic, too bad not everyone on this board can have a conversation or argument, what do you do for a living?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Why don't you tell us how an airsoft meets the definition of a deadly weapon as posted?
-  Simple.  

. If the airsoft guns are being fired at people lacking proper protection and/or without their consent, the quated element is easily met.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Why don't you tell us how an airsoft meets the definition of a deadly weapon as posted?
-  Simple.  

. If the airsoft guns are being fired at people lacking proper protection and/or without their consent, the quated element is easily met.

Except it doesn't fit in this instance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#29]
911 caller says the kids are firig the airsoft guns at her, officer arrives on scene, observes kids firing airsoft weapons... think there is enough there to meet the elements of the crime as they are written.

Also, I wonder if this is actually a misd. charge instead of a felony.  THe uncle says it is a felony, but the article says a citation was written.  In NC, citations are only writen for misd and infractions, not felony offenses (unless traffic-related)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:14:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
911 caller says the kids are firig the airsoft guns at her, officer arrives on scene, observes kids firing airsoft weapons... think there is enough there to meet the elements of the crime as they are written.

Also, I wonder if this is actually a misd. charge instead of a felony.  THe uncle says it is a felony, but the article says a citation was written.  In NC, citations are only writen for misd and infractions, not felony offenses (unless traffic-related)

They were shooting them at each other not the lady, so now it's her word against theirs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#31]

so now it's her word against theirs
- yep, in court. Thats the way it normaly works
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

And of course, overcharging them with reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon is how it works to. After all, you'll just let the lawyers plead it out. Might as well overcharge so justice can be done right?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Got me.  I wasnt on scene with them and I dont know how their court system works.  You could be completely or partially right, orrrrrrrrr you could be completely wrong.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And of course, overcharging them with reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon is how it works to. After all, you'll just let the lawyers plead it out. Might as well overcharge so justice can be done right?

But if you were the victim of that crime would you say the same thing?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But if you were the victim of that crime would you say the same thing?

I know how the system works. The police routinely overcharge what they think the crime is, either by going with the next charge up or lumping together multiple charges because the DA or PA will usually plea it down. In the cop's mind that's the way justice is served. It doesn't make it right.

Now if the woman thought she was being shot at then doesn't it stand to reason she realized it was BBs? After all, not hearing the gun shot would be her first clue. If she knew it was BBs then where's the deadly weapon. If she didn't realize she was being shot at with BBs then she probably wasn't being shot at, just saw two kids playing and overreacted.

The story on the cop/complainant side just isn't coherent.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#36]

If she knew it was BBs then where's the deadly weapon
- Can a BB cause damage to a person's eye, such as cause blindness (you know... shoot your eye out kid)?  If so, then it certainly meets the element of possibly causing serious bodily injury.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

If she knew it was BBs then where's the deadly weapon
- Can a BB cause damage to a person's eye, such as cause blindness (you know... shoot your eye out kid)?  If so, then it certainly meets the element of possibly causing serious bodily injury.

If they were shooting paintball guns would the cops have acted the same way? I highly doubt it. No this is simply because of the way the toy looks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#38]

If they were shooting paintball guns would the cops have acted the same way? I highly doubt it.
- think it depends on the circumstances when the officer got on scene. We've had people charged with ADW for firing BB guns at people.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stupid fucking poster, why don't you take an airsoft gun down to the mall and start running through it threatening to kill people and see what happens.  They weren't

In most states, all the victim needs to have is a perception that a weapon is real or even there for it to be armed robbery, or a shooter needs to perceive that he is being threatened with a deadly weapon to respond with deadly force.  In other words any object that can kill somebody being used to hurt or kill somebody is a "deadly weapon" for legal purposes, and in many states any object perceived by a victim as a real weapon might meet the statutes to be considered a "deadly weapon". No victim, kids were playing

And how many times have you seen the bloviators here proudly proclaim that if a paintballer started shooting at them they would respond with deadly force?  Is a paint ball gun more or less deadly than airsoft? neither are deadly they are only doing about 300-350 FPS

read what happened instead of running of at the mouth about something that has NOTHING to do with the current discussion
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If they were shooting paintball guns would the cops have acted the same way? I highly doubt it.
- think it depends on the circumstances when the officer got on scene. We've had people charged with ADW for firing BB guns at people.

BB guns, spring or CO2 powered? Did they fire a metal or plastic BB? How about paintball guns? They can get upwards of 300fps and can put an eye out as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I wasnt on scene, so I dont the exact type of air rifle used. I'm pretty sure it has been metal BBs in most of the cases I'm aware of.    As for the paintball guns, the charge could be applicable to them.

A number of people cue in on "deadly" and skip over the serious bodily injury part (not you in particular dport)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW, thats straight off of the DU!

Thanks!

I work in an area where people were getting robbed at gunpoint.  It turns out the robbers were using a BB pistol that looked like a real pistol.  Are you trying to tell me that if someone drew a gun on you at night that looked real, you wouldn't likely open fire on them???  

I played with guns that look real and mad homemade bombs and all kinds of shit.  Try and tell me kids can get away with that stuff now.  I'm not saying I agree with it or like it, but that's the way things are, dude.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I wasnt on scene, so I dont the exact type of air rifle used. I'm pretty sure it has been metal BBs in most of the cases I'm aware of.    As for the paintball guns, the charge could be applicable to them.

A number of people cue in on "deadly" and skip over the serious bodily injury part (not you in particular dport)

Look I'm all for upping the charges when the intent is to portray the object in question as a deadly weapon. I just don't see the circumstances in this case adding up.

Like you say, neither of us were there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Yes.  Perhaps soon we can clear the streets of those rubber band guns, water pistols, and cork guns.  Then we will all be truely safe from the menace of armed children.  Fry the fucker!

Yep, it's a menace in a lot of neighborhoods.  They will probably put those two criminals away for couple of years in the state pen if they can charge them as an adult.

Take a couple of more criminals off the streets.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Most paintball guns don't use compressed air. They use CO2.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...or serious bodily injury

Eye injuries.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...or serious bodily injury

Eye injuries.

Have you ever shot a $15 flea market airsoft gun ? My son has a couple and the chances of them taking an eye out are remote at best. Not powerful at all, unlike the more expensive airsoft guns that those guys use in their wargame events and things like that.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:29:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
What a bunch of bullshit. Airsoft isnt deadly. It could take an eye out.

So can a good rock fight with the neighbor kids.  So I guess we need to ban airsoft...and then rocks, dirt clods, snowballs, etc...

You know, ban them for the children.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#49]
"Sorry Josh, we must take you and your friends penises away from you.

You could have killed or maimed someone.

Don't ever let us catch you acting like young males again!"

I can't believe this shit anymore.

I really feel sorry for my grandchildren and the young people these days.

And there are people here, that have taken the propaganda
hook line and sinker

Unbelievable

GM
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Regarding death, remember the case of the woman killed by a shot to the eye with the FN303 "eye putter outer turbo" less lethal weapon?  That thing is basically a jazzed up paintball gun.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most paintball guns don't use compressed air. They use CO2.

Actually, most use compressed air now.  The price of air tanks has come way down, and it's superior to CO2, especially in cold weather.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top