Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2005 10:09:40 AM EDT
So I have a friend that wants to buy one of my lower receivers in Texas. Am I able to send it to his FFL and what do I have to do to make this completely legit
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:12:42 AM EDT
Just send it to his FFL and he will transfer it to him.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:13:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushwacker85:
Just send it to his FFL and he will transfer it to him.

Thats all i have to do to make it legal? seems too easy
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:21:52 AM EDT
I would check your state laws. Here in Illinois we have to keep gun records for 10 years as individuals. Not a problem for me as a FFL cause I have to keep them forever. At the least I would get his FFL # or a copy of his FFL something with name and address to prove you did it right.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:23:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By P08:
At the least I would get his FFL # or a copy of his FFL something with name and address to prove you did it right.

yeah, Im planning on at least having that faxed to me
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:27:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrPink123:

Originally Posted By P08:
At the least I would get his FFL # or a copy of his FFL something with name and address to prove you did it right.

yeah, Im planning on at least having that faxed to me

Most FFL s will not send copies to Non FFLs. And you don't need them to.

Just need the first 3 and last 5 parts of his license and verify it here:

www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Then send to that address.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:30:08 AM EDT
rgr that Steyr, I knew you would be able to help out, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:32:08 AM EDT

rgr that Steyr, I knew you would be able to help out, thanks.

NP. As a NON FFL you have no requirement to obtain or keep a FFL on record. You need ONLY confirm that you are shipping to a valid FFL.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:07:16 PM EDT
Thanks man, what about declaring it as a firearm. Is that required?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:45:59 PM EDT

Thanks man, what about declaring it as a firearm. Is that required?

Not if you are shipping to an FFL. I would just take it the Post Office and mail it to the FFL Priority Mail, insured. Don't lie about the contents. The clerk probably won't ask.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:48:29 PM EDT
No, don't lie about the contents... If they ask, it's "machine parts".

Best part is they really are!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:51:10 AM EDT
I wouldn't lie about contents.

A person can legally ship a firearm to a FFL and carriers like Fed Ex and UPS both will do that.

I "think" (but I'm not positive) that you have to be a FFL for the post office to ship a handgun for you, definitely check. But if you lie about it and they discover it is a handgun, they will confiscate it and get away with it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:01:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

A person can legally ship a firearm to a FFL and carriers like Fed Ex and UPS both will do that.

I "think" (but I'm not positive) that you have to be a FFL for the post office to ship a handgun for you, definitely check. But if you lie about it and they discover it is a handgun, they will confiscate it and get away with it.

Yes, you do have to be a dealer or manufacturer to mail a handgun. However, MrPink123 was talking about a lower receiver for a rifle. A nonlicensee can mail those.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:42:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EOD_Guy:

Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:

Yes, you do have to be a dealer or manufacturer to mail a handgun. However, MrPink123 was talking about a lower receiver for a rifle. A nonlicensee can mail those.

Didn't catch that. You are correct.
Top Top