Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 9:05:18 AM EDT
Thats one catch you do NOT want to miss!

Article

Man catches baby thrown from third-floor window
Desperate mother throws infant from burning apartment

NEW YORK (CNN) -- New York Housing Authority supervisor Felix Vasquez admitted Thursday he was scared when a frightened mother threw her three-week-old son from a burning third-floor Bronx apartment -- right into his arms.

"The mom was panicking," Vasquez told CNN's "American Morning." "A lot of smoke in the apartment, she was nervous. She said, 'It's either me or my baby.' She let the baby go, and, thank God, I was there at the right time."

Vasquez said he didn't have time to think. The baby -- not breathing -- landed upside down in his waiting arms, and he whisked him away and "gave him mouth-to-mouth." (Watch Felix Vasquez make the catch of his life as he saves the baby -- 1:38)

"It started crying," he said. "... and the fire department came over and did their part."

"Their part" included rescuing the mother.

"She's doing great," Vasquez said of the mother. "She took a lot of smoke in, but she's doing excellent."

"She came up to me, hugged me, kissed me and kept thanking me and thanking me."

Vasquez is the catcher for the Housing Authority baseball team -- which has won its division three years in a row.

The rescuer gave the baby mouth-to-mouth resuscitation -- a skill he picked up as a teenage lifeguard.

Tracinda Foxe, 30, was cornered by smoke and flames in the Bronx apartment on Wednesday when she went to the window with son Eric Guzman, The Associcted Press reported.

"God, please save my son,"' Foxe told the Daily News in Thursday editions, according to the AP. "I prayed that someone would catch him and save his life."

Moments after the catch, the AP said, firefighters D.J. Martin and Bobby Eustace burst into the burning apartment, found a hysterical Foxe and gave her an oxygen mask.

The New York Fire Department said the call about the fire came in about 8:22 p.m. Wednesday. The cause, fire officials said, was still under investigation but appeared to be the result of careless cooking.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#1]
saw it on the news this morning.

I guess there are still some decent people...in NEW YORK nonetheless.

wonder if he's part of the starting lineup?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Correction on the title.  It was an onlooker.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#3]
there truly are angels among us
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice catch dude !
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Good thing the catcher played softball.
A football player might has spiked the ball.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Did he signal "fair-catch"?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nice catch dude !

I saw the video.  It was a good catch, especially since some woman was trying to jump over him to catch the kid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

"NFL Superstar spikes tot, celebrates with Ickey shuffle"
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
OUtstanding
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I saw the video too.

Awesome!

About the football player joke….

Somebody came up with a joke like that about 20 years ago.
High rise burning, mother going nuts, baby in peril, etc.
Famous Pro football player Big Willie Jackson says I’ll catch the baby.
Mother tosses infant.
The crowd chants “Big Willie, Big Willie…”
The wind moves the bundle to the right, Big Willie moves to the right.
Then the wind moves the bundle to the left, Big Willie moves to the left.
Big Willie Jackson Catches the bundle!
The crowd yells “Big Willie, Big Willie!....”
Big Willie Jackson dances, shouts “Yeah man!  I’m Big Willie Jackson!  I’m Da Man!”
And spikes the ball.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I seen an amzing viseo where a fireman on a ladder surrounded by smoke caught an 8 yo girl falling from a window. He didn't know she was coming, he just stuck out his arm and happened to catch her. Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:21:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw this on the news this morning.  Amazing.  The baby wasn't breathing, and the guy gave the baby rescue breaths to revive it.  He said he remembered how to do CPR from being a lifeguard almost 20 years ago.  I'd say it was damn lucky he was there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#15]
talk about a blessed Christmas for them...  for mother and infant to both come away from something like that is absolutely amazing...  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I heard he was the building super, not a fireman.

Either way, nice catch!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top