Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 5:57:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#1]
They would be turning in their graves if they could see the country now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Rome ala 2005 A.D.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:22:00 AM EDT
[#4]
BOR? I thought we were surfs' ruled by a King, with princes' and princess's

Monty python," Look at the oppression over here!"
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#6]
People like to bitch about the government here, but I don't see many viable alternatives being offered.

As far as the whole citizen- representative thing, maybe you guys don't recall that until 50 years or so ago, it wasn't uncommon for many candidates even for the Presidency to literally run their campaigns from their front porches and never set foot outside of their own state while running. That sort of thing would fly today, and the modern campaign costs so much that it elminates most potential candidates...not to mention that the sort of scrutinty most candidates are subjected to now would drive many people away from the effort of running for office.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dang no zombies in the thread.

+1  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

seek and ye shall find
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

Hey!! there boobies in you tag!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
BOR? I thought we were surfs' ruled by a King, with princes' and princess's

Monty python," Look at the oppression over here!"

George Bush knows the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow. As president, he has to know these things.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

seek and ye shall find
www.dvdtimes.co.uk/images/IainBoulton/Shaun_of_the_Dead_Zombies.jpg

Damn, that was a good movie.

"Two seconds!"
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#12]
In some ways things were better 200 years ago, in many ways they were worse.

The only constant is of course, change.

And things generally are what we make of them, or permit them to be.

One only need to look at the 1960s to see that is the truth. A group of people (much like in 1776) decided they were gonna change the way things are for everyone and they did. The only real difference is in 1776 the group generally improved things and in the 1960s they group pretty much fucked everything up

We could change things again, IF we were willing to put forth the effort and make the sacrifices necessary as the two previously mentioned groups did. The hard part is of course, popular support.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

One only need to look at the 1960s to see that is the truth. A group of people (much like in 1776) decided they were gonna change the way things are for everyone and they did. The only real difference is in 1776 the group generally improved things and in the 1960s they group pretty much fucked everything up

We could change things again, IF we were willing to put forth the effort and make the sacrifices necessary as the two previously mentioned groups did. The hard part is of course, popular support.

+1

I see this as really the only barrier between us and a better America.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Changing the system would require getting up.

Personally, I'd like to see a return to the 1920's. No farther.

It ain't gonna happen though, government doesn't surrender power willingly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:37:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The difference between the people of the 1770's and the people of the 1960's is that the people of the 1770's demanded that the government relinquish powers that the King had siezed. This led to the American Revolution. The people of the 1960's demanded that the government sieze additional powers and intervene into more private affairs. This resulted in massive changes which occurred quickly.

Government never relinquishes power willingly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#16]
There outta be uh law!!..
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Not just California, bud....

Like the renewed, new and improved "Patriot Act"..

And...

How 'bout the new "Viper teams" out and about now....

We are sooo fucked.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  

Hey!! there boobies in you tag!!

Damn, that was quick.  This was the first post I made with 'em...I just wanted to see what it would look like.  They is gone... I'll be good now.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Changing the system would require getting up.

Personally, I'd like to see a return to the 1920's. No farther.

It ain't gonna happen though, government doesn't surrender power willingly.

Things were pretty messed up in the 1920s too, don't kid yourself.

Some things were better, some were worse.

We'd be far better served trying to make todays situation better than attempting to return to some largely imaginary idyllic past. In the 1920s people were being sterilized by the government and eugenics was considered viable science. Not really a good starting point for liberty.

I think right now is about as good as any starting point for correction. The problem is sacrifice.

We all bitch about the Eminent Domain decision. But bitching will never be enough and a "vote the bastards out" option does not exist. The only realistic was to overturn that decision would be a 1776 "tea party" or 1960s type violent protest. If every new commerical structure built as a result of the recent ED ruling was attacked and burned to the ground and so many people were involved (as in the 60s) that you couldn't possibly begin to investigate or prosecute the large numbers you would see the death and reversal of that ruling.

The problem is we aren't jobless hippies with nothing to lose and a penchant for radicalism and violence and we aren't yet the opprossed "subjects" of a government who have decided enough is enough "it can't get much worse than this." Most of us have families and good lives and have seen what happens to people like Randy Weaver and we aren't willing to trade out what we have for what we "may" achieve. So we fix what little can be corrected by the process and that pretty much secures the status quo.

I don't think power can be seized back from government by non violent means and I don't think a violent revolution will ever happen. The government isn't foolish enough. And quite honestly, I'm not sure a revolution is a good idea. Given the current state of the average Americans notions of what the country "should" be like, letting this generation decide a "new course" could be more damaging than the last time that happened in the 1960s.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Rome ala 2005 A.D.

pretty much
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
41 hits when the thread was entitled "Bill of Rights Day"
300 more when the thread was entitled "Zombies invaded California"

Re title it "Hammer Babes" and see what happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top