Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 5:56:37 AM EDT
Like to think I'm reasonable.  My phone was free (as advertised) when it was upgraded from the last phone that took a dump.  The wifes phone actually costed $50 bucks or so since it was higher on the ladder.  But as of recent the charger cable have started acting up and a car charger cost around $30 bucks from the carrier; and then a home (AC) charger is around another $30 bucks .  My friggen jumper cables didn't cost that much? Since we both have phones this could effectively cost around $120 bucks for the both of us.  Anyone see the logic here or am I officially a cheapskate?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
There is very high margin on those. I work at XXXXXXXX and they are $35ish for a normal consumer and with my discount of 5% Above cost discount they are $2.80
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Typically phones can be a loss for the company.  Its the monthly payment they survive.  Not phone sales.  They need to make that money up by selling add-ons...which are very high markup
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The answer to both of your questions is yes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy after-market cords they are much cheaper.

When I last upgraded mine, my agent gave me a car charger cord off of the shelf for free
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
check out ebay,paid $10 for mine  vs 30 from the store.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Because you are paying for the phone with higher plan rates.  Do you really think your phone is free or nearly so?  Even a crappy phone would be like $200 if you paid it's actual price.  The providers subsidise the price of the phone and make up their loss on the plan.  Accessories aren't subsidised like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top