Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#1]
As with most other American movies, too much of an underlying theme; usually domestic relations in nature.  

In this case it was "a father redeems the love and respect of his estranged children set against the back drop of world destruction by aliens."

The loud fog horn sound did trip me out though.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Also, what do you expect when Mr Nightmare before Christmas redoes an old movie?

Tim Burton did "The Nightmare before Christmas" .Steven Spielberg did "The War of the Worlds"  mmk

tim burton redoing "war of the worlds"??? that might have been a helluva movie! maybe get johnny depp to play the lead male role? get winona to do the girl role and have her run around in a wet nightshirt for 3 hours...mmm, mommy bags!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There hasn't been a better alien invansion movie made since "Mars Attacks!"

www.efadgroup.com/mars-attacks.jpg

I actually wasted my money on that movie...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
WotW was rather disturbing.  A well done movie that did a good job of drawing the viewer into the action.  I don't care to watch it again, though.

Fantastic Four was an uber-suckfest, though.  No buildup, no drama, only a little action, and you could predict the dialogue before you ever heard it.  They definitely phoned that one in.  X-men and Spiderman kicked the ass out of it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#5]
The DVD transfer on the copy I rented sucked. Whenever there was a light background the foreground, including people, was fuzzy and bled-through.

His son needed two to the chest and one to the head.

The crowds were a little too "nice" for SHTF, all middle class people pushed to bad behavior. I'd expect to see a substrate of out-and-out predators.

Some nice visuals and sound design, though. I liked the burning train and the video of multiple tripods attackign the city.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted: You mean druggies and gays saved the earth?
Yes, the perfect Hollywood rainbow diversity happy ending.

Note to self: When aliens invade the earth, shoot a fag and/or druggie and catapult his corpse towards the walking machines.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Some nice visuals and sound design, though. I liked the burning train and the video of multiple tripods attackign the city.

Did you notice how many  burning vehicles could misteriously drive themselves, including the train?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Good subwoffer sound. That is about the best thing I can say about the movie.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I liked it and so far it is the most faithful version to the Wells novel.

The 50s version, while great classic Sci Fi, was a complete bastardization. Unfortunately, because of it's success, that became the version by which this one is judged rather than the book.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The 50s version, while great classic Sci Fi, was a complete bastardization. Unfortunately, because of it's success, that became the version by which this one is judged rather than the book.

I noticed that you have been one of the few who have liked the movie (I even rented it based on the fact that you liked it)  Even if it was like the book (which I yet to read) they could have done a better job with the acting in it and made it flow better.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#11]
One of the worst movies I have ever seen...  horrible.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I noticed that you have been one of the few who have liked the movie (I even rented it based on the fact that you liked it)  Even if it was like the book (which I yet to read) they could have done a better job with the acting in it and made it flow better.

I thought the acting and pacing were good...at least, nothing bad stood out about them.  The only thing that truly bugged me was the constant screaming by the little girl.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
One of the worst movies I have ever seen...  horrible.

Don't see many movies, eh?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There hasn't been a better alien invansion movie made since "Mars Attacks!"

www.efadgroup.com/mars-attacks.jpg

I actually wasted my money on that movie...

You're in good company
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#15]
OK that's it.

They need to have an alien zombie type movie.

I'm tired of watching and hearing about these alien movies where defending yourself with a firearm is non existant.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tom Cruise will not be winning an Oscar for best dramatic performance.

This is definitely unsophistcated sci fi and I simply enjoyed the ride.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the acting and pacing were good...at least, nothing bad stood out about them.  The only thing that truly bugged me was the constant screaming by the little girl.

Yeah, the kid would not have done well. I suppose that is actually a realistic depiction of how most people kids would act but still annoying.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tom Cruise will not be winning an Oscar for best dramatic performance.

This is definitely unsophistcated sci fi and I simply enjoyed the ride.

That is fair.....I guess I am pretty picky when it comes to movies.  I have a habit of walking out of ones in the theater and turning them of when watching them on DVD.  As posted previously, nicotine withdraw may have had something to do with it as well.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#19]
SPOILER
It really would have been a fine plot if the movie ended right before he sees his son.

Ooh, they ALL live.... how convenient.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
OK that's it.

They need to have an alien zombie type movie.

I'm tired of watching and hearing about these alien movies where defending yourself with a firearm is non existant.

Hey!!!

What about Randy Quaid and his seventy-five dollar pump shotgun stoked up with game loads???

guess that dosen't count huh?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Everyone who thinks this movie is a total suck and blow fest (no pun intended) should rent the other most recent War of the Worlds. In comparison, the Tom Cruise version is Oscar material.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree it was bad
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
SPOILER
It really would have been a fine plot if the movie ended right before he sees his son.

No kidding.  It was a pretty enjoyable good movie, right up to the end - and they completely ruined it by shoving a sappy hollywood happy ending in there.

That totally ruined the movie for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#24]

The only good thing about the movie was the '66 GT350H that Cruise drove at the beginning.  Unfortunately those fifteen seconds of 'Cool -- check out the wheels' were drowned out by an hour or so of Dakota Fanning's yells and squeals.

Now I know why lions eat their young.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
SPOILER

The bad part, is as soon as he took off and the hill lit up in fire, I KNEW that he would somehow miraculously survive and show up later.

I even went so far to think that he may save his dad's life later on, but they didn't take it that far.

I didn't even think about it... just, "Oh well, we'll see him later..."

Hollyweird, you're too predictable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought the special effects were good.  I thought the plot sucked, as well as stupid things like Tom having the only running car, the kids with shitty attitudes (both needed an ass whooping) the idiot with the unloaded shot gun, etc, etc.  In short it was disapointing, given the amount of money spent and the fact that it was directed by one of the greatest directors.  I'm glad I didn't pay to see it.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I rated it a waste of my time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top