Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 5:22:49 PM EDT
What say you?

Like the title suggests...

Gone?

Govt Bailout?

A grand reorganization and survive as a world class automobile manufacturer?

A grand reorganization and barely survive as a mediocre manufacure with a few shining examples, only to face the same trouble in 10-15 years?

Argue, discuss, and ridicule with your fellow ARFCOM members.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What say you?

Like the title suggests...

Gone?

Govt Bailout?

A grand reorganization and survive as a world class automobile manufacturer?

A grand reorganization and barely survive as a mediocre manufacure with a few shining examples, only to face the same trouble in 10-15 years?

Argue, discuss, and ridicule with your fellow ARFCOM members.

If they don't change their fundamentals, then this:

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
To be honest, now that I look at it, my poll isn't exactly fair.  A gov't bailout could result in the "mediocre GM" or the "world class GM."

My opinion?

It will probably come out as mediocre no matter what.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
GM has a lot of cash and a lot of assets.

I read an article in a trade publication in which the author predicted that ALL automobile manufacturers will design and market their products locally and centrally, but will then contract-out all of the manufacturing processes to low-bidder global job shops.

Stay tuned.  This will get interesting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
These bailouts will become similar to the periodic airline bailouts
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#5]
GM will still assemble cars but the parts will all be made over seas.  They will never again be the in the dominate position they once were. If they can't get their pay and benefits under control they will probably sell out to one of their foreign competitors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top