Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 5:18:03 PM EDT
I've had a tough cold for a week now.  For a few days it was simply a head cold but now it's in my chest.  I think I got my wife and two-year-old daughter sick, too, dammit.

So I heard an ad on the radio today for Buckley's Cough Medicine.  Their slogan is (and I found it catchy) "It tases AWFUL, but it works!"

My interest was piqued.  How bad can it really taste?  I went out and bought some.  The ingredients include a laundry list of disgusting sounding things such as pine needle oil.

Mistake #1 was to smell it.  Yuck.  Now I had to psyche myself up to swallow it.  I put some on a spoon.  "Don't breath" I told myself.  I figured the best way to choke it down was to rapidly insert the spoon in my mouth and swallow quickly before my tounge gets a chance to taste it.

HOLY FUCK!!!  Imagine swallowing a jar of vick's vapo rub filled with Chistmas Tree Sap.   And that's just the initial blast.   Words cannot describe how nasty this stuff is.  NO JOKE!  And the worst part is knowing I have to take one more teaspoon to make a complete dose.

Does it work?  I'll report back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That stuff is BAD!

I don't know what tastes worse Buckleys or Fishermans Friend cough drops.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey now... don't rag on the 'Friends...

They work like nothing else.
OK, they do taste like kerosene dipped mothballs, but it's an acquired taste...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, it sorta works.  It does a decent job of relieving symptoms, but I'm still sick.  This is going on too long now.  I remember having colds that only last 3 or 4 days.  Now it seems every time I get sick, it's a 2 week ordeal.  Today marks day 9.

I'm not of failing health (I don't believe), I'm only in my mid 30's.  Is anyone else out there going through the same thing (finding common colds, etc hitting you harder than they used to?)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, it sorta works.  It does a decent job of relieving symptoms, but I'm still sick.  This is going on too long now.  I remember having colds that only last 3 or 4 days.  Now it seems every time I get sick, it's a 2 week ordeal.  Today marks day 9.

I'm not of failing health (I don't believe), I'm only in my mid 30's.  Is anyone else out there going through the same thing (finding common colds, etc hitting you harder than they used to?)

Yup. It started getting bad in college when I got bronchitis. My colds start in the throat or head for 4-5 days, drip down and then go into wheezing,coughing chest colds for about 10 more days.
Short colds are viral only. Long colds for me start out viral,and then I get bacterial secondary infections.  I wish I could get bulk packs of antibiotics without a prescription for the bacterial infections.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Lemon, honey, whiskey. It works. Gargle with salt water. Pot of boiling water with a bit of vapor rub in it, head over it with a towel covering your head to keep the steam in. TAKE THE POT OFF THE STOVE FIRST!!!!! Some of the old remedys are just as good as the new drugs which STILL only treat the symptoms. Stay away from sickos, if you have to be rude, be rude.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top