Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 1:37:02 PM EDT
why do school buses have small white strobe lights on their roofs?  I saw two today that both had strobe lights on their roofs.  I think, but I am not sure...that they have it for bad-weather visibillity-it was blowing snow today and freezing rain.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
They are a safety measure.

They keep the lights on all the time here, regardless of the conditions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
When they are flashing it means the bus has been Hijacked.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It's for the children.

Just because of the fact that buses are so huge does not mean idiots won't broadside them.  Especially in poor visibility.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A sure sign to Draw Down!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The blinking light tells Chuck Norris not to roundhouse kick the buses.  Large yellow objects diplease Chuck.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's for the children.

Just because of the fact that buses are so huge does not mean idiots won't broadside them.  Especially in poor visibility.

Interestingly enough, of the two I saw, one was a large bus, and the other was like a Chevy Express with a van body on back.  So it must be for safety-regardless of the size.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No, driving with the flaps down is the signal for being hijacked.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The blinking light tells Chuck Norris not to roundhouse kick the buses.  Large yellow objects diplease Chuck.  

Back in the trunk with you.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch.  

Someone missed a smiley?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup we have them on the buses up here too.............As if I cant see a great big fucking yellow thing in the road!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yup we have them on the buses up here too.............As if I cant see a great big fucking yellow thing in the road!!!!!

If you can see the bus, and you can see the overhead lights, then why extra lights when you don't need them, unless you're in some heavy fog.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]
did it have door gunners?? i heard they are going to install those too..............
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
did it have door gunners?? i heard they are going to install those too..............

Not that I saw.  One passed in the opposite direction, and another was in front...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you can see the bus, and you can see the overhead lights, then why extra lights when you don't need them, unless you're in some heavy fog.  

Never underestimate the brain-deadness of the average driver.  

In high school, my brother had a 1966 Mustang painted day-glo blue.  It hurt to look at the damn thing.  He got run of the road by a guy who said, "I didn't see him."  The cop shot back, "Are you f***ing blind?"  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I recall an article about the strobes that was related to a bus that left the road and went into a pond.  The bus wasn't visible as it was underwater and someone did a study that said strobes in water-tight enclosures would be an acceptable method of locating buses in all inclement weather conditions including ponds due to the light dispersion capabilities.  Not too sure on the overall validity of the theory but I'll say in poor weather like fog or night, they are quite visible.
~m38a1

(yes i know i don't spell well....)

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:11:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I recall an article about the strobes that was related to a bus that left the road and went into a pond.  The bus wasn't visible as it was underwater and someone did a study that said strobes in water-tight enclosures would be an acceptable method of locating buses in all inclement weather conditions including ponds due to the light dispersion capabilities.  Not too sure on the overall validity of the theory but I'll say in poor weather like fog or night, they are quite visible.
~m38a1

(yes i know i don't spell well....)

Makes a lot of sense...since buses do double duty with extra-curriculars (ie sports) or even at night when they are running routes this time of year in the dark(with no Daylight Savings time)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never underestimate the brain-deadness of the average driver.  

In high school, my brother had a 1966 Mustang painted day-glo blue.  It hurt to look at the damn thing.  He got run of the road by a guy who said, "I didn't see him."  The cop shot back, "Are you f***ing blind?"  

Interesting.  You can get out of the trunk now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top