Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted: "Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full"
Classic.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe it.  I was on a camping trip as an adult leader with the Boy Scouts on the Frio River in Texas.  The kids were doing their astronomy merit badge.  We were laying on cots looking at the night sky and all of a sudden a C-5A comes flying down the gorge so low that we could feel the wash from the plane.  Scared the s#&@ out of us.  The gorge was narrow and the pilot just slipped that thing down through it like he was on a Sunday drive.  Interesting enough two of the scouts went on to the Air Force Academy one graduated last year and the other is graduating next year.    
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think the new saying for B-52 pilots is, "It may not be your father's Air Force, but it is probably his airplane."

- and, in the case of the Buff, you can still smell your father's sweat, etc in the airframe.

I always thought the G models smelled like old chicken, vomit, and boiling urine.  Ah, the good old days.  When I got to the H model it smelled okay.  It was kind of a let down.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
"Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full"

SBG

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who else knew that a USPS Jeep has a significantly bigger radar signature than a B-52?

huh.

Jeeps have all kinds of right angles and reflect radar like crazy.

And here I thought that my Jeep was stealthy!

Wonder what my firebird looks like>
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Really bad photoshop, and so out of scale. The '52 is in the foreground yet look how small it is compared to the carrier. And no distubance on the sea surface at all. Do you have any idea how much thrust those 8 turbofans put out?

Not even slightly convincing, sorry.

I was wrong, out of line, mistaken.

Apologies.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Really bad photoshop, and so out of scale. The '52 is in the foreground yet look how small it is compared to the carrier. And no distubance on the sea surface at all. Do you have any idea how much trust those 8 turbofans put out?

This was more believeable than that:

Why yes I do.  136,000 pounds.  You don't always get a rooster tail when you get down on the deck.  Not sure why though.  I also have a picture from a 50 foot pass right on the beach and no sand is being thrown up.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Really bad photoshop, and so out of scale. The '52 is in the foreground yet look how small it is compared to the carrier. And no distubance on the sea surface at all. Do you have any idea how much trust those 8 turbofans put out?

Why yes I do.  84,000 pounds.  You don't always get a rooster tail when you get down on the deck.  Not sure why though.  I also have a picture from a 50 foot pass right on the beach and no sand is being thrown up.  

So you think that is authentic? Well you would know better than I, but it just doesn't look right at all.
Perspective, I don't know. Looks like a hoax photo to me.

B52 length: 156 ft
USS RANGER   (CVA-61)) length:  1,046 feet
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why yes I do.  84,000 pounds.  You don't always get a rooster tail when you get down on the deck.  Not sure why though.  I also have a picture from a 50 foot pass right on the beach and no sand is being thrown up.  

So you think that is authentic? Well you would know better than I, but it just doesn't look right at all.

I know it's real.  I have an orginal 8x10 that the navy sent to the crews after the exercise.  I always loved the maritime ops flights.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Missed approach.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know it's real.  I have an orginal 8x10 that the navy sent to the crews after the exercise.  I always loved the maritime ops flights.  

OK, take your word. What were the circumstances?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Even this was more believeable than that:

www.people.vcu.edu/~gasaunde/images/SharkAndHelicopter.jpg

B-52 = Length: 159 feet  
USS Ranger = length: 1,046 feet
1046 feet divided by 159 = 6.5

Seeing as how the B-52 is CLOSER to the camera than the Ranger is, and that the Ranger is heading AWAY from the B-52 the scale is about right.

8 TF-33 engines making 17,000 pounds of thrust at full power is 136,000 pounds of thrust.
HOWEVER, in this case the B-52 is carrying no bombs or missiles and has about 1/3 of a "full tank" of jet fuel. That means it's light for the aircraft. Light aircraft means that it does not need to use full thrust to fly wings level.
The B-52 is also at about sea level. The air is denser at sea level, denser air = more possible thrust production at a given throttle setting.
The B-52 probably has the outboard engines running at 75% percent of thrust, and the inboard engines running at 85% of thrust.

At 200 feet off the water there would be no "thrust disturbance" because the engine thrust GOES AFT, plus the fact that the B-52 is probably doing 200 - 250 knots means the jet exhaust is being disapated quickly.
You do know that you can stand about 50 feet behind a jet engine at idle and not even get your hair messed up, right?
You do know that people on aircraft carriers walk behind jet blast and have jet blast directed on them all the time, right?
You have spent too much time wathing TV and movies or else think that the F-14 making the rooster tail in the water is a real picture.

I can tell you that I did a few missions with USAF B-52's off the coast of SoCal on the FLETA range. We did the jamming and our aircraft flew the missile profiles while the B-52's launched the missiles.

There are pictures of a B-52 overflying a carrier taken from the periscope of a sub, there are pictures of B-52's shooting missed approaches to carriers. These guys went low to the water after being "dared" by the Ranger.

Try again....
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice pic.  That guy is a good stick and letting the Navy know it.  Gotta love it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
MARINE KC-130F operating off of the Forrestal back in 1963 (With US Navy crew )
www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/transport-m/c130/c130_13.jpg

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool pic
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Some people watch to much stupid shit on TV.  Not every plane puts up rooster tails or has fifty feet of flame out the ass to fly.  A B-52 flys with the engines pointing straight back and at 150 feet off the water there will be several hundred feet between the exhaust and the water.  

All of actual life is not like Playstation,,,,just keep saying that til you feel better.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I was driving on I 90 between Ritsville, WA and Spokane, WA one in day in the late 80's.   Heard this loud vehicle behind me and it kept getting louder and louder.  Thought some trucker had a BAD mufler problem.  

Looked in my side mirrors to try to see if I can find the truck and all I can see is two B52's about 600 ft up coming down either side of the freeway full bore.  The black smoke was a rollin and they were pouren the coals to it.  They were trying to sneak under the radar at Fairchild AFB in Spokane.  Behind the B52's were 2 T33 jets.  Needless to say, we all pulled off the highway to watch them go by.  Could of used a good set of ear pertection that day.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Some people watch to much stupid shit on TV.  Not every plane puts up rooster tails or has fifty feet of flame out the ass to fly.  A B-52 flys with the engines pointing straight back and at 150 feet off the water there will be several hundred feet between the exhaust and the water.  

All of actual life is not like Playstation,,,,just keep saying that til you feel better.

OK take it easy on me. second time I have been fooled by a pic this week - the first WAS a fake.

I ate my crow sandwich already.

And FWIW I hate console games.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FAKE -  unless it's unpowered, and coming in a sharp dive into the water

Notice there is NO effect on the water.   No jet wash, no air distrubance, nothing.

There is a slight reflection on thw water under the BUFF.

Photoshopped.

You think something that big, with that much thrust, is flying that low to the water, with NO disturbance?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
FAKE -  unless it's unpowered, and coming in a sharp dive into the water

Notice there is NO effect on the water.   No jet wash, no air distrubance, nothing.

There is a slight reflection on thw water under the BUFF.

Photoshopped.

You think something that big, with that much thrust, is flying that low to the water, with NO disturbance?

Actually, it isnt.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Photoshopped.

Not. I've seen this picture since the 1970s, I think.

Yes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Actually, he has just lauched off the deck.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#27]
LINK to a site that has an email contact for an LTC regarding the photo.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

There are pictures of a B-52 overflying a carrier taken from the periscope of a sub, there are pictures of B-52's shooting missed approaches to carriers.

Can we get a Mod in here?  We need a Ban for violating the COC where it says you can't talk about pics of really cool stuff without posting them.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#29]
If you think that's cool you should see what he did on his second pass!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

tinypic.com/io3td0.jpg

I can't believe the carrier didn't try to one-up him after that stunt.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/io3td0.jpg

Yep, especially since on the third pass he was just plain showing off...

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/io3td0.jpg

tinypic.com/io3zio.jpg

Cool, a sub launched B-52
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/io3td0.jpg

tinypic.com/io3zio.jpg

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Had a Sq CC that had that hanging up in his office back in '93. He was BUFF pilot back in the day and he knew the guys that was flying it. It's real. (He lost his medical and was put off flying status)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Dang!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Oh my gosh... gasp... snicker... ahahaha... the second and third pass pictures are the funniest thing I have seen in days!!!!!!!!!

Dram out
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/io3td0.jpg

tinypic.com/io3zio.jpg

I had no idea a BUFF could do a cobra maneuver at 15 feet off the deck.  Tell me why we need F-22s again?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/io3td0.jpg

tinypic.com/io3zio.jpg

I had no idea a BUFF could do a cobra maneuver at 15 feet off the deck.  Tell me why we need F-22s again?

Stealth
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are pictures of a B-52 overflying a carrier taken from the periscope of a sub, there are pictures of B-52's shooting missed approaches to carriers.

Can we get a Mod in here?  We need a Ban for violating the COC where it says you can't talk about pics of really cool stuff without posting them.  

Yep, and KA is the biggest offender, by far.  Damn good thing, otherwise we'd never know crap about aviation/aeronatical stuff around here, although Vito and C-C do a pretty good job.

Merlin
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#40]
This guy is so close to the babes on the beach they could toss out a bottle of sun tan lotion if the cabin wasn't pressurized.

Scott Durga writes: "The picture above was taken by Ludovic Aubert, Imapress/Globe Photo.
It was published in Life magazine. The location where the picture was taken is Simpson Bay, St. Martin a Dutch and French island.
The island is so tiny that its Juliana International Airport abuts one of the famed Caribbean beaches."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Toasted F18 anyone? - pilot OK though.

Very hot Takeoff.  The fuel tank filler cap was insecurely fastened.
On wheels off tank got pressurized and blew off the cap.
The white stuff you see is fuel, not smoke.
This does not usually combine well with the thrust from the afterburner!
Pilot ejected safely.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Wonder what those boaters were thinking?

Blue Angels F-18 close to, but not breaking the sound barrier during San Francisco Fleetweek 1998 Air Show.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#43]
I thought it was one of these doing a flyby..

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Wouldn't want to train in that pond!

EIELSON AIR FORCE BASE, Alaska -- The "Lady of the Lake," a WB-29 Superfortress residing in a pond here, was dropped from the Air Force inventory in 1955 because of a ground accident. The aircraft was taken to the pond it currently rests in and used for open-water extraction training until it became too dangerous. (U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Joshua Strang)
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/UFO_SkyDiver/UFO_Ordeal_110.jpg

www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/UFO_SkyDiver/Sub_Smash_013.jpg

What is that from? Seem familiar...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mid 70's British series "UFO"..

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

RED X's are very familiar
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:02:47 PM EDT
[#48]
What's with using a retarded photo hosting service that requires a log-in?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top