Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2001 4:39:20 AM EDT
I just sold my first 1911-model pistol.  No great loss, it was a Charles Daly that I ended up doing some major changes to: new barrel, springs, etc.   I finally got it to shoot somewhat accurately, but I want to move up a little bit.

I am looking for the following items in my next 1911.  At least a 20 pound recoil spring, full length guide-rod and a match grade (or close to) barrel.  I shot a rental Kimber at the local range, and was rather suprised at the lack of accuracy that it had.

I cannot afford something like a Wilson, I would like to keep the cost under $800.  I have heard good things about the Springfield, and was wondering if anyone out there can inform me on how well made they are.

My regular shooting schedule is to put about 150 rounds of ball ammo through the weapon every other week. (The off weeks are when I go to the outdoor range with my AR).  I will say that I do not reload, and shoot basically only ball ammo, so I really am not concerned with the weapon's ability to feed hollow nose or wad cutters.

Any feedback from 1911 owners would be greatly appreciated.  BTW, I do want a 1911 model, and am very set on getting another one. HK, Glocks and Sigs are not really what I am looking for, even though I hear that they are rather good weapons.  For some reason I just like the look and feel of a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:50:28 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]I shot a rental Kimber at the local range, and was rather suprised at the lack of accuracy that it had.[/b]

RENTAL - never expect a rental firearm to be accurate.  
Kimber makes a fine weapon.  Try another

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The full length guide rod and 20 pound spring are things that you could easily install yourself in any 1911-style pistol.  Figure about $30 for the parts.  

As to accuracy...  How much do you want?  Most pistols from Kimber, Springfield and Colt should be able to group a seven round magazine into 3" at 25 yards.  The bad ones shouldn't be worse than 5" and the good ones might go under 2".  It's hard to tell what you'll get from any given pistol.

Plan to spend about $225 for a Kart barrel and bushing plus gunsmithing if you really want to push into the 1.5" range.  You [b]might[/b] get that out of the box, but don't count on it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me start by saying... do not be swayed from the Kimber lineup just because of a rental gun!

I have owned several 1911's including Springfield, Kimber, Colt, etc, etc. Even though Springfield would be my second choice, nothing compared to the Kimber.

I am no expert in this area and only base my judgements on experince with each gun. The Kimber full-size I own is the most reliable and accurate gun I have ever owned. I let a friend of mine shoot it at the local range and after he emptied the magazine his first words were "so, how much do you want for it?"

I am not a big Colt fan because I have had numerous reliability issues with them but that doesn't speak for every Colt pistol either.

It's hard to base a decision on rental guns. Those guns have thousands of rounds of ammo through them usually and aren't cared for like you or I would care for our pistols.

I'm sure others here will comment and help you decide. I say go with the Kimber. You won't be sorry...
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top