Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 9:33:33 AM EDT
I heard initially they were replacing phalanx, but on some of our ships I see both....  anyhow newest navy boat's got em...

NEW SHIP PULLS PIER SIDE – TLine handlers stand by while the Navy's newest class of amphibious ship USS San Antonio pulls pier side at its new homeport of Naval Station Norfolk, Va., Dec. 12, 2005. San Antonio is the lead ship in the Navy’s newest amphibious transport dock-class of ships. U.S. Navy photo by Petty Officer 3rd Class Laura A. Moore

this is one HUUUUUGE flag:

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks ike the RAM is being phased in sowly, but wide spread usage wi wait unti the Bock 1 missie is out:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/ram.htm

I personally like the combination of gun/missile on the same ship.  More firepower is never a bad thing!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
No Mk-15 CIWS on that ship.  The two turret mounts have 30mm chain guns for anti-small boat defense.

RAM works well and is more effective against the later missile threats.

ETA...of course we have the ubiquitous Ma Deuce on the foc'sle.  I suspect there are four mounted fore and aft, port and starboard.    
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I see the Reagan also has them, the germans seem to put em on everything they have.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Where is the second 30mm EFV turret?  I so one under the bridge but thats it.

Were not these ships originally to have had a VLS system in the bow for ESSM, and MLRS type rounds?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:26:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, seeing those two helo spots reminds me of some skinned knees and backs while playing some Gladiator Ball in the Adriatic on the Tortuga in the 90's
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where is the second 30mm EFV turret?  I so one under the bridge but thats it.

Were not these ships originally to have had a VLS system in the bow for ESSM, and MLRS type rounds?

#1 Aft
#2 No VLS. It might have been a concept, but Gators don't make good destroyers. As for the MLRS, it was determined the MLRS and ATACMs are not viable for shipboard use.

It's a big ship, nice to see it's finally on the waterfront. A troubled past with a bright future.

ETA: The RAM has been in service for a while now. Fully deployed? That depends on what your definition of fully deployed is. Amphibs and carriers get them first along with the SSDS weapons system.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top