Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I think this calls for a Box Of Truth test. I'll hedge my bet on a minumum of 12GA slug taking it down with a preference for the .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#2]
are there american companies working on anything similar?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hey lets make it run!  Yea, great idea!  Hmmm...what to do next?  How about giving it the ability to kill everyone!  Sweet idea!

"at 12:03am 14 Dec 2005, SKYNET became self aware"

Anyone have a link to that video of that robot on patrol in some shit hole in africa?
Found it.

Tetra - as posted before
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey lets make it run!  Yea, great idea!  Hmmm...what to do next?  How about giving it the ability to kill everyone!  Sweet idea!

hr

"at 12:03am 14 Dec 2005, SKYNET became self aware"

Anyone have a link to that video of that robot on patrol in some shit hole in africa?

For some reason that statement really gave me the chills
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Honda ain't got nuthin' on SONY'S ROBOTS.

AHHHHHHH...Midget robot ninjas, we're scewed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't like it, but it's inevitable.  

The science fiction of 30 years ago is today's reality.  

The current issue is power.  Batteries are too heavy and don't provide enough long-lasting power to give these things much real utility to operate away from a constant power source.  

Fuel cells will likely solve much of the problem, but those aren't ready for prime time yet either.

Once the power problem is solved, humans can and will be replaced in many instances by these things.  

I Robot, indeed.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think this calls for a Box Of Truth test. I'll hedge my bet on a minumum of 12GA slug taking it down with a preference for the .50 BMG.

ASIMO, I dub thee the "Bot of Truth"
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
In another thread, I stated that Asimo could outrun most every UAW worker when he could run 3 km/h. How that he can run 6, and 5 km/h in a circle, he definately can outrun almost every UAW worker. A plant full of Asimos...that would be the shit.

ASIMO could weld w/o safety equipment, spray paint with only safety goggles, and assemble engine parts just by itself.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#10]
OK. So how much will that little item cost?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In another thread, I stated that Asimo could outrun most every UAW worker when he could run 3 km/h. How that he can run 6, and 5 km/h in a circle, he definately can outrun almost every UAW worker. A plant full of Asimos...that would be the shit.

ASIMO could weld w/o safety equipment, spray paint with only safety goggles, and assemble engine parts just by itself.

Wait'll the Robot Rights protesters get a hold of you!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Knowing the Japanese, it will ship with a hydrualic penis.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I love watching those things.... so cool.

Quoted:
The day these companies make a merger with Real Doll is the day the human race ends.

I welcome the day. Of course between the weight of the real doll and the additional weight of the robotics, that bitch would crush you when she mounts you. Hope they improve in that department.

I can see the logic in that. A totally obedient, serving, automoton that looks and feels (and thankfully doesn't ACT or think) like a woman. The current model of woman would become obsolete. which means the new and imroved model (lacking any reproductive capability) would inherit the Earth. We should probably nip this in the bud now and set up some birthing facilities, where women will be used only for making babies.

Quoted:
I wonder how far away we are from Robocop and Robogrunt?

We? we nothing... I assume when you say we you mean Americans and not humans collectively.
Those robots are all made in Japan or whereever in Asia. I don't see a whole lot of American companies working on anything like this. If they are they don't publicize it much.

When they make a giant one that you can sit in the head of and plug into and drive around I'll be selling my minivan.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Posted before but heres the real link.

analogik.com/mm_rev_tetra.asp
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#15]
These aren't the droids you're looking for...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So what round should we use to take out ASIMO? .308? 30'06? Surely not 5.56!

You don't need to cause bleeding, and fragmentation might just bounce off the internals.  Id say use 30 cal armour piercing.  Maybe you could EMP it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Group buy on M995 anyone?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#18]
[AZIMO] find and destroy Sarah Conner [AZIMO]

"Ahunuld" has some competition real life terminators
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For some reason that statement really gave me the chills

I don't think machines will become self aware anytime soon but they might , being the literial things that they are, following their programming to some conclusion that the developers wern't expecting.

Example is at the Paris airshow in 1988 when an Airbus A-320 refused to obey pilot commands, overshot the runway and crashed into some trees. (I think that was the cause.. or was it 'pilot error'?)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Captain Kirk taught me that any machine will fizzle and self-destruct if you present it with a logical paradox.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Needs work on the ankle, it moves flat footed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Captain Kirk taught me that any machine will fizzle and self-destruct if you present it with a logical paradox.

Capt Kirk also attracted the alien ladies.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#23]
ASIMO, or AWESOME-O ?

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
ASIMO, or AWESOME-O ?

home.mchsi.com/~dave.webb/awesomeo.jpg

which episode was that?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:45:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Haven't you seen Futurama? They can be built with "Paradox Crumple Zones".
What truly scares me is "Zombie Robots". Barnes X-Slugs in the Benelli. (shiver)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The current issue is power.  Batteries are too heavy and don't provide enough long-lasting power to give these things much real utility to operate away from a constant power source.  

Fuel cells will likely solve much of the problem, but those aren't ready for prime time yet either.

Once the power problem is solved, humans can and will be replaced in many instances by these things.  

I Robot, indeed.  

Small turbine running a generator would be a solution for a larger one, for this size it would be impractical.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#27]

I knew this was coming back when I was nine or ten :

And by God,  I'm ready . . .
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#28]
If given enough data a machine can decide what is best for its longevity. The key is how much data we give them. Take a hydroelectrc turbine. It has more sensors and fail safes then you can imagine. Some of them are self adjusting, making adjustments on the fly to preserve the life of the turbine.  Robots/machines already hold enough data to preserve its own well being. We are alot further along then some of you may think.

CH
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ASIMO, or AWESOME-O ?

home.mchsi.com/~dave.webb/awesomeo.jpg

which episode was that?

Episode 802

(season 8, episode 2)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:29:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Maybe these aren't the droids we're looking for...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

"Ahunuld" has some competition real life governators

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I Robot, indeed.  

Small turbine running a generator would be a solution for a larger one, for this size it would be impractical.

Kharn

The original Honda robots were powered by a Honda gas generator.
It's possible.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
ASIMO, or AWESOME-O ?

i forget about that episode. thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Ahunuld" has some competition real life governators

www.mattandpamazon.com/images/matt/Photoshops/asimo.jpg

Excellant PS!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Please go stand by the stairs
so I can protect you.

So is this the Pusher Robot or the Shover Robot?

PAK CHOOIE

THE ANSWER IS: CODE

DATA: SHOVE PUSH SHOVE

I AM A PUSHER ROBOT

PAK CHOOIE

There's your answer!

LL
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Screw anthropomorphic robots!  I want my 30-hour work week and the Metric System, dammit.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I ma going to the store to buy enough foil for tin hats for all the family. Give them out as Xmas gifts. That truly creeped me out a little.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#39]
What do I need for my zombie Robot survival kit?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Please go stand by the stairs
so I can protect you.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have to confess that I have following the ASIMO project, and a few others such as the one that is being developed in Korea that receives constant updates from a buitl in wifi.

I'm 29.....and there is very little in this world that I find frightening....but these things terrify me for some reason. Some people are afraid of clowns, me, I'm afraid of robots.

I am so thankful that they are currently made out of plastic, there is no way a palstic robot will be able to withstand a nailbat(a baseball bat with a large gauge nail through the fat end) attack.

I'm am convinced that my fear is irrational, but these things can walk up and down stairs, they can run, they can grip things. My nightmare is being chased up the stairs by a running 3' plastic robot with a kitchen knife.

That's my other reason for believing that they are evil. They are only 3' tall. The claim is that they are designed to help people. How is a 3' robot going to help someone? It can't reach the washing machine, it can't get stuff off the top shelf, it can't reach the knobs on the stove, it can't pull stuff out of the bed of a truck, can't push the lawnmower.....3' robots can't possibly be practical in aiding in household chores.

This means that their small size only suits one purpose. They are travel size for invasion purposes. They are small so that their 'cute' appearance will keep people from believing that the robots are evil.

Okay I'm done now. I will accept all suggestions for tin foil hats, crazy conspiracy theories, irrational fear flames and names and numbers of  therapists...all of which I will ignore, and continue to harbor my fear in hopes that it never comes to fruition while I reload another 12 gauge shell.

They are coming for your prescriptions.  Be afraid, for the metal ones come!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#42]
If you're excited about ASIMO, check out this!

From what I've seen on TV and read, it can assist most movements that a normal person can make.
It amplifies one's strength so anybody can lift things up to 90kg per arm

More info at http://sanlab.kz.tsukuba.ac.jp/HAL/indexE.html and http://sanlab.kz.tsukuba.ac.jp/indexE.html

Links intentionally kept cold!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:58:19 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/ATNT0314/hal_5.jpg

That's a project currently being worked on for the .mil.

Source 1
Source 2
BBC Article
Article

BLEEX: Berklet Lower Extremity EXoskeleton
video 1 | video 2 | video 3

*on a side not... this forum has a guy named Redneck, that has the same avatar as lumpy196.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Knowing the Japanese, it will ship with a hydrualic penis.

Look, you people aren't responsible enought to handle a hydraulic penis
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I ain't skeerd....  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a project currently being worked on for the .mil.

Source 1
Source 2
BBC Article
Article

BLEEX: Berklet Lower Extremity EXoskeleton
video 1 | video 2 | video 3

static.howstuffworks.com/gif/exoskeleton-5.gifstatic.howstuffworks.com/gif/exoskeleton-4.jpg

www.agent.ai/img/upload/200403/BLEEX1.jpgnews.roboclub.ru/img/Exoskeleton.jpg

*on a side not... this forum has a guy named Redneck, that has the same avatar as lumpy196.

I saw the crew from Berkley demoing their equipment back in October at a trade show.  They substituted weight plates instead of the backpack and just strolled around like it was normal to have 200+lbs on their backs.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I saw the crew from Berkley demoing their equipment back in October at a trade show.  They substituted weight plates instead of the backpack and just strolled around like it was normal to have 200+lbs on their backs.

Kharn

How much of that back is comprised of the generator to power the system? Hard to tell in the pictures and video.

200lbs. That's pretty awesome. 40-50lbs and I'm pretty well maxed out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#48]
So... twenty years from now we'll all look like Master Chief and fight homicidal robot midgets?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#49]
"With folded hands"  by Jack Williamson.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
From what I've seen on TV and read, it can assist most movements that a normal person can make.
It amplifies one's strength so anybody can lift things up to 90kg per arm

More info at http://sanlab.kz.tsukuba.ac.jp/HAL/indexE.html and http://sanlab.kz.tsukuba.ac.jp/indexE.html

Links intentionally kept cold!

Is that deadlifting or curling and overhead-pressing 90kg per arm? I would be impressed if it were the latter of the three. Really impressed if it were side or front raising that weight (arms outstretched).

Can't wait to see one with a minigun, HMG, or AGL and a massive ammofeeding backpack.
Or maybe one with a steel armor shell before we worry about putting guns on it.

Yep, definitely like the Master Chief...

Thinking out loud... If we're going in the direction of all-encapsulating power-armor, perhaps it would be nice to have some research done on small cameras (NV, IR, Thermal IR...), HUD's, and the like, to make possible have a 'windowless' helmet (affording much better protection than, say, a riot helmet). Nothing particularly new, just the miniutarization of existing technologies.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top