BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm expecting several thousand dollars from USAA any day now!!  Cancelled the last policy with them a little over 6months ago and the balance of my SSA is paying out in full.  Woo Hoo!!

Of course i wish that they had just lived up to the reputation and treated me fairly in the first place.  Seems that the USAA since about 1995 is not that same USAA that I started with in 1988 and that my dad started with in 1969.  Until 6 months ago i had never had coverage from any company other than USAA.  I did work for a number of other carriers and had offers for coverage, but no reason to change.  Then USAA gave me the reason to change.

What problem did you have with them?

Only had two claims since 1988.  THe first one was on a renter's policy in 1993 (they paid less than 1500 for a theft claim) and they handled it like a champ.  Then in early 2001 (end of January) we had an ice storm in KC.  It spanned over three days as we were without electiricity etc.  Despite it being one catastrophy under the insurance contract and the KS DOI regs they reported it to the CLUE service (this is roughly the equivalent of a credit report for insurance claims) as three claims.  Seems that the damage to one room they reported on one day, the tree that fell on another day and finally the food spoilage (that I did not even turn in for reimburtsement but they assumed woudl be filed and opened a reserve) on day three.  THen I get a non-renewal letter that says "due to your claims frequence (three claims in one year)" you are being non-renewed on you April 1 anniversary date.  I asked them to change the CLUE report to actually reflect the  single loss (the total for all "three losses" was less than $1000 before duductible).  THey refused and I filed a complaint withthe DOI.  The DOI sided with me on the issues, but had no power to force a company to report a loss to CLUE in any particular way as CLUE is a private reporting service.   The only avenue I woudl have had was a bad faith claim or an injunction neither of which really seemed to fit the situation.  

The situation only got worse because they sent the non-renewal to the wrong address.  They are required to send notice of non-renewal to the last address of the insured with no less than 30 days until the policy anniversary.  Despite the fact I lived at the same address that they insured they transposed a few numbers on the address.  It got to me in time, but I waited until about 29 days before the policy anniversary to let them know of the mistake.  As such they had to withdraw the non-renewal as there was no time left to correct the error and issue the no-renewal with the 30 day notice.    

I contacted an agent friend of mine and we got a quote on replacement coverage through a natioanl carrier.  He had no problem with the clue report and advised that he had seen several things like this from them in the last several years.  USAA has been reducing its exposure in teh midwest due to our floods, hail and ice and the best way to do that is to non-renew people with claims.  I was obvious to him that the "three" losses on consecutive days were actually part of one catastrophic loss.  I waited until two months before the next anniversary assuming that they would have me diaried for non-renewal and swithced carriers at that time.  After teh cancellation I received a notice of non-renewal.  It was ineffective as the policy had already been terminated by me.  I can't say I enjoyed the stress, but whipping them at their own game was a certain sort of satisfaction.

I was apprehensive about leaving USAA as they had been very good to me in the years without claims.  I had home, auto, Umbrella, Credit cards, car loan and a savings account with them for 13 years. However, I got on with another company and have actually gotten a better rate for slightly better coverage (no serial numbers needed for Firearms coverage endorsements).  Given my experience my dad (a USAA member since 1969) and my brother ( a member since 1994) all called and complained and ended up dropping USAA in favor of other compaines.  

Of course, being in the insurance industry I understand the backstory for they company trying to limit losses and exposure, but that does nto make it any easier when I am the once being axed.  For years I expected, and got, better of USAA.  I now see them as really no different than any other large P&C carrier. If they had the better price, I'd take it.  But they just don't have the "something extra" anymore that made themt he hands down choice if all else was equal.

YMMV,
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would have gone with USAA, but they wanted $50 a month more than State Farm for the same product.  No joy.  Never have needed much in the way of using insurance (it is a scam in some respects . . . no matter who you use) but this is the first I have heard of a company that gives money back to the insured .  Not enough to cover the difference, mind you.

Yeah, well, wait until you need State Farm.  You will be pretty hard pressed to find a pissed off USAA customer.  I can go find pissed off customers of any other company in under a minute.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm expecting several thousand dollars from USAA any day now!!  Cancelled the last policy with them a little over 6months ago and the balance of my SSA is paying out in full.  Woo Hoo!!

Of course i wish that they had just lived up to the reputation and treated me fairly in the first place.  Seems that the USAA since about 1995 is not that same USAA that I started with in 1988 and that my dad started with in 1969.  Until 6 months ago i had never had coverage from any company other than USAA.  I did work for a number of other carriers and had offers for coverage, but no reason to change.  Then USAA gave me the reason to change.

Maybe, after reading the story.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've had good luck with USAA. My only gripe is their firearms coverage. Max overall is $5k. They will do floaters for individual weapons, but require serials and other information. Having to insure each firearm separately is a pain in the butt. But what ya gonna do?

Do what I did:  Take 20 mins to list in a Word doc all the info they ask for, then email it in.  I'm paying $120 a year for $10K of full replacement value coverage with zero deductible.

$10 a month to insure my guns is worth 20 mins of my time.

But, but, but, they could be an agent of the JBTs and rat you out during the inevitable SHTF!!!  Hell, they could be run by zombies and come straight for your guns!!!

I can't believe you told this crowd that you gave up your super-secret firearms info.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've had good luck with USAA. My only gripe is their firearms coverage. Max overall is $5k. They will do floaters for individual weapons, but require serials and other information. Having to insure each firearm separately is a pain in the butt. But what ya gonna do?

Do what I did:  Take 20 mins to list in a Word doc all the info they ask for, then email it in.  I'm paying $120 a year for $10K of full replacement value coverage with zero deductible.

But, but, but, they could be an agent of the JBTs and rat you out during the inevitable SHTF!!!  Hell, they could be run by zombies and come straight for your guns!!!

I can't believe you told this crowd that you gave up your super-secret firearms info.

USAA's in Texas.  It's cool.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

USAA's in Texas.  It's cool.

But it's San Antonio, which we all know is being taken over by illegals, and Bush and Fox's cronies.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good, then when the SHTF, I'll be one of the first people to shoot back and thus inspire the rest of you slobs

Besides, I told them about my 3 M1As and FAL, but I didn't say nuthin' about my SKS
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good, then when the SHTF, I'll be one of the first people to shoot back and thus inspire the rest of you slobs

Besides, I told them about my 3 M1As and FAL, but I didn't say nuthin' about my SKS

I wouldn't admit to owning an SKS either, especially to a Texas company, they'ld lose a week of work before they stopped laughing.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Ditching USAA for insurance and credit cards was one of the better things I ever did.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I love USAA - best auto ins price ever and good homeowner's.  They had the lowest HELOC rate anywhere, so I love 'em for that too.

State Farm sucks ass as I cut my auto rates in half.  I was with Sate Farm for 12+ years - it didn't matter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Been with USAA for 15 years...
I dont bank with them because I have used Navy Federal Credit Union for over 25 years....
(NFCU is the largest, and best credit union in the country)

Even if the rates at USAA are a bit higher (they usually are lower) I dont care. Their service is outstanding. One of the best companies that I have ever dealt with. I have had to file a claim with them a few times, and they do take care of things quickly.

Oh... and I usually do get the dividend check every year. What other insurance company refunds part of your premium

I can't stand NFCU.  Just their godawfully slow online bank posting system is enough that I will close my account with them as soon as I am back in the states.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:11:20 AM EDT
[#12]
$85.73

Not great, but I'm not going to complain.

I do EVERYTHING with USAA. Insurance, banking, and (soon) investments. I love them. Incredible service and cut-throat prices (the competition's throat).

Funny. I still have $5.00 or so in my NFCU account. After having it for almost 20 years, I just don't have the heart to close it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Been with USAA for 15 years...
I dont bank with them because I have used Navy Federal Credit Union for over 25 years....
(NFCU is the largest, and best credit union in the country)

Even if the rates at USAA are a bit higher (they usually are lower) I dont care. Their service is outstanding. One of the best companies that I have ever dealt with. I have had to file a claim with them a few times, and they do take care of things quickly.

Oh... and I usually do get the dividend check every year. What other insurance company refunds part of your premium

I can't stand NFCU.  Just their godawfully slow online bank posting system is enough that I will close my account with them as soon as I am back in the states.

We do all of our banking with NFCU online now.  Try that...you won't be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That, my friend, is what I refer to as a "sleeper tho down".  Nobody knows about it and if it gets lost fishing, no big deal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:15:06 AM EDT
[#15]
When our Honda Accord was destroyed in an Interstate pileup, they settled with us very quickly and VERY fairly.  At first, the claims lady lowballed the car a bit...but when I showed some online evidence of what it would cost me to replace the car, she came up $1,100.

We just got our check for $144 yesterday.  Not a huge amount...but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ditching USAA for insurance and credit cards was one of the better things I ever did.

I suspect those of us still with them can thank you for a touch more money in our dividend checks...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Another option is Armed Forces Insurance Exchange, which also has great rates.

I didn't know USAA offered that kind of a plan. I'll have to compare them. I've had AFIE since Plebe Year (1987).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I usually only get ~$50 back.

I got $50 back this year.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Got mine yesterday, $50.00
USAA is a Great insurance company.

Flaco
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Haven't gotten mine yet.

Come to think of it, I didn't get one last year either. I'm gonna' have to see if the ex got it instead.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Received $85 dollars this year...three vehicles...'vette, Grand Cherokee and Lexus.  Last year was better.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I took my wife to dinner and a movie on the money I got back..Due to our three kids and opposing schedules we hadn't had a date night in close to a year...needless to say she was "very" grateful....Even USAA's dividends pay "dividends"
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#23]
$37.85,
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#24]
We insure two cars with USAA and have bank acounts with them.  My dividends have never been much over $100, but it's nice to see money come back.  As a bonus, their customer service is first rate all around.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Got mine yesterday.

$108 dollars and a few cents.

I have full coverage on three cars, and no auto claims yet. Knock on wood.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#26]
$16.00 here
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#27]
$48.10

+ $49,000 on the way for damage to the house from Wilma.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#28]
$56.97 even after they paid out for the car my wife wrecked.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top