BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
hand propping.  Sounds like somthing involving lube and a towel.

The largest engine I have hand propped is a 540 cubic inch fuel injected Lycoming with a three bladed prop. Nasty, just nasty.

We had a Cassut racer that had an O-200 with a Quizinart looking prop and high compression pistons that only a couple of us could start. You would always count your fingers after that!

BTW, anyone who thinks hand starting is abnormal and dangerous does not belong around aircraft. If you are too scared to start the damn thing you surely don't belong airborne in it! Many aircraft don't even have electrical systems and starters. It is just normal. Now that some are too stupid to do it safely is not open to debate.

+1!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:38:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never had the pleasure of handpropping, but these pics arent the first I've seen of the shit that can go wrong when you are being an ass.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've never had the pleasure of handpropping, but these pics arent the first I've seen of the shit that can go wrong when you are being an ass.

Next time you go to the airport, grab some old timer CFI and give it a shot.  It's fun.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
He's the only one at the airport "professional enough" to hand-prop a Cherokee.
Asshat.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess the guy just had to get there in a cherokee 140.  Small wonder he wasn't killed.  

Looks like the plane has been sitting outside for quite a while.  I'd be willing to bet it's out of annual.  Just a lineguy's .02
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
the very fact that he is hand propping an airplane that has an electrical system, (at least as ceritified) an adequate starter, and not a particularly hard engine to start (not fuel injected as I recall, looks like a 140 or 160),  says volumes about his attitude toward maintanance and upkeep.  Better he destroyed it on the ground than kill someone in a mid-air or a crash.

So the starter motor burned out, or something similar -- big deal.  It happens.  It's not a critical failure, just an inconvenience.

I hope like hell that plane's number doesn't end in 'J'.  But I think it's the wrong Florida airport anyway.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I've only had to hand prop twice and i hated it each time. luckily i had someone with me both times to be on the brakes and i STILL put the tie-down back on the tail.

her: dont you trust me to hold the brakes
me:  no
her: <silence for 2hrs>
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Hanger at a nearby airport has a bomb sticking out of the roof, but that's a joke!  It's been there for years, somebody has a good sense of humor!  Looks like the prop and spinner on the hanger are not a joke...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why does aviation attract SO MANY STUPID MOTHER FUCKERS?

They should have some sort of common sense and intelligence filter to keep these morons away from aircraft.

See if you can explain this one???

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#11]
This one's easy to explain.  Classic hi-wing/low wing "hookup" while landing.  LO-wings have limited visibility below them.  Hi-Wings have limited visibility above them.  Put those two facts together with a couple of newbies that don't use radios in at a non-controlled airfield and this is what you get.

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should have some sort of common sense and intelligence filter to keep these morons away from aircraft.

users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/planesandwich1.jpg
users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/planesandwich2.jpg
users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/planesandwich3.jpg

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This one's easy to explain.  Classic hi-wing/low wing "hookup" while landing.  LO-wings have limited visibility below them.  Hi-Wings have limited visibility above them.  Put those two facts together with a couple of newbies that don't use radios in at a non-controlled airfield and this is what you get.

That's kind of what I figured, but how the hell did they land safely?????

P.S. So that's not what people mean when they say 'airplane sex' ??
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The 152 was probably already on the runway, and the PA-whatever landed on top of it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 152 was probably already on the runway, and the PA-whatever landed on top of it.

How does a plane going 50mph hit a plane sitting still with no major damage? I figured that they must have 'mated' in flight while one was landing and the other taking off. Pretty weird in any case.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/planesandwich1.jpg
users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/planesandwich2.jpg

users.waymark.net/0002596-1/pics/planesandwich3.jpg

Totally misunderstood the "Mile High Club" reference...?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top