Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 11:09:13 PM EDT
I drive a 1995 Chevy Cavelier about 78,000 miles give or take, and while I was at a light the engine shutoff, figureing it just stalled I tried to re-start it, but the instant I put it back into drive it shutoff again, I try this several times I try giveing it gas everything, as some as I put it in drive it shuts off.  So I push it into a parking lot, and mess with it for another 10 minutes atleast, same thing, but everything else was working, the engine started fine, and would even rev, but the instant I shifted into drive it shut down as if the keys were turned off....  So I give up and walk about 2 hours home, I get a drive back up there with my Uncle thinking maybe he can figure it out, he gets in, puts it in reverse, then shifts into drive, and wouldn't you know it works fine, and I look like an idiot, I'm not sure if it was putting it in reverse, or sitting for a awhile that did it, but I don't really want to try driveing it again untill I find out what happened, so whats wrong with my car?....
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Have somebody check the computer.
It may be some sensor that is freaking it out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
you were able to drive it home after your uncle looked at it?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Torque converter clutch solenoid?

The solenoid sticks closed, causing the torque converter to lock-up tight and kill the engine when the trans is put into gear.

Locate the TCC solenoid harness and connector.  When the car is operarting normally, disconnect the TCC plug and harness from the side of the transmission.  The TCC will not re-engage under normal operating conditions.  Replace the TCC solenoid at your leisure.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]
That's probably a computer issue. Leave your battery disconnected for an hour or so and reconnect it.

Do you have any anti-theft protection or a remote car starter or anything?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Capitalize this sentence!

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Blow me Grammar_Fascist. you were able to drive it home after your uncle looked at it?

Thank you.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.

You mean THAT sentence? The one you just wrote? That's what your grammar is telling me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Fuel pump, they will work for a while, then die, then work again until it just dies completly.  Also you should be change you fuel filter every 10,000.
good luck
Icon
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#9]
It could be the transmission.  My wife's ex-minivan did that out of the blue.  One morning, it just stalled when she put it into gear and that was reliably reproducible at that point.  We were able to get the thing going after letting it warm up for a while (about 20 minutes and this was March in Arizona, so it had to be nice and toasty to work at all).  I don't know what it would have taken to fix it.  I traded it in on a shiny new Corolla.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
update?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Now you know, there was a bomb wedged in there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

did you buy the car from your aunt in michigan?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes, every now and then, I wish I was a mod....
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Weird that it ended up on the same street as his aunts trailer house.

Sometimes, every now and then, I wish Wobblin-Goblin were a mod as well...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Just don't park it on your Aunts street, I hear that the S is hitting the F.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Every day. Its a run-down drug infested trailer park. Yo. Is that where Marshall Mathers was from?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Perhaps if you took the transmission out of your aunt's bathtub and put it back in the car, then took the car off of blocks it would start running again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Did it splode or is it down by the river?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Torque converter clutch solenoid?

The solenoid sticks closed, causing the torque converter to lock-up tight and kill the engine when the trans is put into gear.

Locate the TCC solenoid harness and connector.  When the car is operarting normally, disconnect the TCC plug and harness from the side of the transmission.  The TCC will not re-engage under normal operating conditions.  Replace the TCC solenoid at your leisure.

This is the most likely idea. Hvae seen it a few times.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#20]
so it didn't make that good of a carbomb?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every day. Its a run-down drug infested trailer park. Yo. Is that where Marshall Mathers was from?

I don't know but I'm bugging in. I took care to remove my shoes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top