Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2005 9:10:14 AM EDT
My son is TDY out of state. He ran out of money and called me yesterday to ask me to put some money in his account at our home bank in SC. The next day he used an out of state ATM at a gas station to withdraw funds. He got a slip of paper from the ATM that said insufficent funds. So he calls me back to ask if I had put money in his account and I said that I had. So he decides to try another ATM the next day, which told him the same thing.

So I call my bank to find out why the money wasn't transferred and my banker told me it was. He was able to look into my son's account and verify that the money was in fact withdrawn at the same ATM that originally said my son had insufficient funds!

He is headed back to the gas station now to find out what happened.

Anybody else have this happen to them and were the funds recovered?
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of that.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Never heard of that.  

Neither have I, but then again, I've never used a gas station ATM before either.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
You should be covered. Contact the bank and let them know.

I tried to take out $500 once, No money came out but just a slip. The next day when I looked into my account it said $500 was taken out. Called the bank and let them know. They fixed it. The machines and banks arent perfect they make mistakes.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Stopping by the gas station is goint to be a waste of time.  Who he needs to talk to is the company that operates the ATM, all the gas station does is rent them the floor space.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Stopping by the gas station is goint to be a waste of time.  Who he needs to talk to is the company that operates the ATM, all the gas station does is rent them the floor space.

I just got off the phone with my son. He went to the gas station and spoke with the clerk who of course told him the gas station did not own the machine. He directed him to the 800 number posted on the ATM. He called the number and the rep on the other end told him to file a dispute with his bank and he should be reimbursed in 5 to 7 days.

It took the machine 30 seconds to rip him off, but it will take him a week to get his money back!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay, the bank credited his account for the amount the ATM ripped him off for. A week later his bank is telling him they are taking the money back because their "investigation" revealed it was a valid transaction and the money was dispensed!

The only thing they looked at in their "investigation" was the statement from the machine itelf!

WTF!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#7]
If they won't give it back, sue their asses. It's not the $500, it's the principle of the thing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Any machine that charges you $1.50 for the privilege of using it is incapable of NOT ripping you off.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Lesson learned.

Next time go to a grocery store, buy a stick of gum for $0.25.  Then ask for cash back in desired amount.  At least you'll avoid a $1.50 surcharge.

Anytime I go grocery shopping (or general goods), I get usually try and get cash back, avoids going to the ATM.  I haven't been to an ATM in who knows how long.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Lesson learned.

Next time go to a grocery store, buy a stick of gum for $0.25.  Then ask for cash back in desired amount.  At least you'll avoid a $1.50 surcharge....

Bingo.  I get my cash $50 at a time from a Vons grocery store that's on the way home from my workplace, and rarely use ATMs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top