Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2001 7:47:54 AM EDT
A family of about six racoons keep trashing my friend's yard in Oakland CA.  I was wondering if any of you knew any alternatives to getting rid of them.
First of all, no one is going to shoot them.  They is no way any firearm is going to be discharged in this area.  There are too many reasons to count why not to.
Animal Control has refused to do anything about it as well.
The person would like not to use a pellet gun.  He doesn't really want to hurt them, if he doesn't have to.  But he will if nothing else works.
I've suggested a pepper spray grenade.  We have one, but haven't tried it yet.  We aren't sure about the idea of gassing a section of the neighborhood.  Might actually be a bonehead idea.
So is there anything else worth trying, that won't get anyone in trouble with the Oakland PD?
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
C-K, check the government part of the phone book & see if Alameda county has a county trapper.  San Mateo county trapper was out here yesterday with 2 traps for my neighbor across the street.  Came back this morning & took away 3 racoons.  I've got my garbage can chained to a post.

If they're assault racoons, they should be registered.

hanko
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Havahart traps
www.havahart.com/nuisance/raccoon/raccoons.htm
are an option IF you have a place to relocate them (perhaps in the neighborhood of someone you don't like).
Animal Control in some areas may actually loan you a trap to use for a while for free.
Be aware though, catchin' 'coons in a live trap is like bass fishing.  Sooner or later you'll catch a carp (in this case a skunk).  Personal experience here.[;)] PUUUU
Also remember to put something solid under any live trap, as any caged raccoon will dig for China.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top