Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2005 10:09:32 AM EDT
What  I mean is, would they ever build a new gun, stamp and old serial number on it and destroy the old one?

The reason I ask is, let's suppose a gun is under a "lifetime warranty" and you send it back in irreparable shape.  Might they do this or would they send you a new gun (requiring you to go through your licensing b.s. to remove the old gun from you license and put the new one on?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, Oly does it for older, cast, lower recievers. They'll make a new forged one with the old ones number.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard hand gun manufacturers will do the same.  Send a broken framed glock in, and get a new frame with the old serial number tab from it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Your question is hard to make sense of, but without repeating to much what has already been said it goes like this:

You ship your Kimber to Kimber to rechamber the gun in BFG9000.  Your serial number is 6.  Now Kimber decides your choice to use the gun as a doorstop instead of a precision instrument has led to unrepairable damage to the frame.  They replace the frame with ALL NEW PARTS.  No charge, they are cool.  Now, does Kimber let the frames serial number not match the slides number and effectively shipping you back a brand new pistol?  Fuck no.  They stamp the same serial number in there so they can return you the "same" gun you sent in.  If they did send you a different serial number they would have alot more paperwork to do and you to.

ETA:  My ar15 serial number is:  MallNinja
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I was wondering because I have a revolver that I'm waiting for to come back from Taurus for service (2nd time BTW).  I don't know if it was able to be repaired and I was worried that I'd have to go through a bunch of licensing B.S. with the county clerk again.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Had a S&W 459 with a cracked frame.

Shipped back to S&W - 6 months later it comes back with a new frame and same S/N.

Repair was "free" but still had to pay Gunshop $50 for paperwork and shipping.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#7]
So.. does that work with nfa items?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If they changed the serial number, it would be sending you a new gun and all that entails.  By using the old serial number all they are doing is repairing or replacing an existing component.  Sort of like how you could replace the spring, follower, or even the body of a pre-ban normal capacity magazine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#9]
They can do it when they replace a serial numbered part.  But they have to destroy the old part.  

This is gonna get more prevelent as registered machine guns start to wear out and the receivers are replaced.

"This, milord is my family's ax.  We have owned it for almost 900 years, see.  Of course, sometimes it needed a new blade.  Sometimes it has required a new handle, new designs on the metalwork, a little refreshing of the ornamentation... but is this not the nine-hundred-year-old axe of my family?  And because it has changed gently over time, it is still a pretty good ax, y' know.  Pretty good.  Will you tell me if this is a fake, too?"
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure about all mfgrs, but I thought Glock sends the same serial number back, but with a modifcation indicator at the end of the number.  I thought it might have been a letter after the re-used number.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Recall a few years ago Colt did a small run of replacment preban AR15 lowers this way.  It took a few years for them to que up enough damaged lowers for the run, and someone mentioned it was such a hassle that it was doubtful it would happen again.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not sure about all mfgrs, but I thought Glock sends the same serial number back, but with a modifcation indicator at the end of the number.  I thought it might have been a letter after the re-used number.    

That's what happened when Glock did the frame exchange on 170,000 defective frames a couple years ago.  But the "same number" turned out to not be quite the same.  Because Glock changed (modified) the SNs by adding a "1" prefix, some folks (primarily in California and other gun-unfriendly states) had a bit of trouble when getting their replacement  guns.

Also,  it should be noted that Glock replacement frames, slides and barrels have special serial numbers. The serial number consists of a single letter followed by 4 digits:
G#### G = Griffstück for replacement frames
S#### S = Schlitten for replacement slides
L#### L = Lauf for replacement barrels

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Recall a few years ago Colt did a small run of replacment preban AR15 lowers this way.  It took a few years for them to que up enough damaged lowers for the run, and someone mentioned it was such a hassle that it was doubtful it would happen again.

Bushmaster had been doing the same thing (BATF approved). When the Brady asshats found out about it they filed a lawsuit against the BATF claiming that by manufacturing the lowers with their pre-ban SN's, Bushmaster was manufacturing "new assault weapons" in violation of the 94 AWB.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So.. does that work with nfa items?

I'm pretty sure. IIRC, there are NFA dealers/manufacturers that specialize in doing that. Give 'em an old, beat to shit, but registered MG and they'll destroy it, make a new one from scratch, and put the old serial number on it to keep the registration.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got off the phone with Taurus.  They said my gun is "under review" meaning they haven't decided if they will repair or replace the gun (as I suspected).  My only question, which I didn't think to ask at the time, is why does it take more than a month to make such a determination.

This is a real bummer.  This is the second time I had to send the gun back, it has spent nearly half the time I've owned it at the factory for repair.  And, sending it back isn't cheap, Next Day UPS (the only legal way I can send it, AFAIK) costs close to $40 a shot.  So, add $80 to the cost of the gun now, I almost could have (shoulda) had a S&W.

ETA:  Penny-wise, Pound-foolish.  That's me.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought a used Ruger MkII Government that was seriously messed up (barrel and reciever werent properly attached and the barrel could rotate 30deg either direction when heated by the sun), Ruger had to dig through their warehouse to find another identical MkII Government that was built before 2001 (?) due to MD's law that any gun made after that date must have an integral lock.

They werent sure if stamping the old number on the gun would count for MD's laws or not, so I had to go through the background check again for a pistol with a totally different serial number.

Turns out the gun they found me was even older than my original one (1987 vs 1989), but had sat in the warehouse for over 15 years. Works great, looks awesome (original had a few finish blemishes), so I'm happy. I just had to pay $25 shipping and $20 for another background check.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:22:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
ETA:  My ar15 serial number is:  MallNinja

Hesse Arms did that just for you?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Colt replaced a frame on a Gold Cup 45 for me under warranty and the new frame was engraved with the old numer.  Ruger replaced the top end (serial numbered part) of a MKII pistol for me under wanrranty and they chose to use a new one with a different number.  I had to pay the re-DROS fee and wait another 10 dyas to get it.  In the end both companies refunded all costs including return shipping upon my submitting of paperwork to them when it was all done.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#19]
UPDATE:

I am absolutely fucking furious with Taurus.

I called again today.  Now, this is the second time the gun is at the factory for repair.  And I've only had the gun since August!  Cost me $80 so far in overnight shipping to send the gun back.  They have had the gun since November 8th and still have not made a decision if the gun is repairable or must be replaced.  Why the fuck does it take six weeks (or longer) to figure that out?

So I ask the guy, if they have to replace it, can they use the same serial number.  And he tells me "no" that it will be a different one.  And since it is coming into NY and I don't have the new serial number on my license, I can't receive it directly.  It will have to go to a FFL (add $25 for the transfer fee, and $5 for the pistol license amendment to my costs) and consequently, will cause an extra 2 or 3 weeks (perhaps longer) for me to actually get my gun back because I have to wait for my license to be updated before I can have it.

What a pain in the ass!  TAURUS SUCKS!  I'm going to post a link to this thread in the Taurus Forum and anyplace else I can think of!  Don't buy their crap and their customer service is for the birds!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
UPDATE:

I am absolutely fucking furious with Taurus.

I called again today.  Now, this is the second time the gun is at the factory for repair.  And I've only had the gun since August!  Cost me $80 so far in overnight shipping to send the gun back.  They have had the gun since November 8th and still have not made a decision if the gun is repairable or must be replaced.  Why the fuck does it take six weeks (or longer) to figure that out?

So I ask the guy, if they have to replace it, can they use the same serial number.  And he tells me "no" that it will be a different one.  And since it is coming into NY and I don't have the new serial number on my license, I can't receive it directly.  It will have to go to a FFL (add $25 for the transfer fee, and $5 for the pistol license amendment to my costs) and consequently, will cause an extra 2 or 3 weeks (perhaps longer) for me to actually get my gun back because I have to wait for my license to be updated before I can have it.

What a pain in the ass!  TAURUS SUCKS!  I'm going to post a link to this thread in the Taurus Forum and anyplace else I can think of!  Don't buy their crap and their customer service is for the birds!

That is too bad. I have delt with taurus at least 8 times and everytime was handled fast and without trouble. One of the was a raging bull that hada damaged frame, that taurus replaced without question. I sell ALOT of tuarus guns and never had anyone complain about he CS or getting firearms repaired. Sorry you have ahd a bad deal. It truely is not the norm.

I have to ask though, how is the frame damaged? If there is a delay then I am bguessing that the damage may be that of abuse not a firearm malfuction! If you shot hot loads, dropped it on the ground, or some other user inflicked damage I can see the delay. A lifetime warrenty does not equal a free gun when you misuse it and it breaks.
CH

Regards
CH
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Cape Hunter,

Thank you for asking.  Allow my to fill you in on the particulars.

The gun is a snubbie Model 94 (rimfire .22).   No Hot Loads, obviously...LOL!

The first time it was in for service, it was FTF right out of the box.  That pissed me off.  Doesn't anyone test fire a gun before they put it in a box and sell it?  Some hammer work and other adjustments later, I got the gun back in working order.  

Now a setscrew popped out, which (and I'm a layman so I don't really know exact terminology) holds in the rod that goes into the lug that holds the cylinder in place.  It popped out and for some reason won't screw back in (the hole is stripped out?)  

I'm extra pissed because even if I go through the bullshit of having to get a brand new gun, will it even work?  The FTF thing out of the box should have clued me in right away to dump this gun.  Garbage!

Oh, and I never dropped the gun or otherwise abused it in anyway.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Had a S&W 459 with a cracked frame.

Shipped back to S&W - 6 months later it comes back with a new frame and same S/N.

Repair was "free" but still had to pay Gunshop $50 for paperwork and shipping.

Hey ProfGAB101,
Why did you have to pay $50 to a Gunshop for paperwork and shipping? I would think you would have to pay for the shipping but not paperwork. Did you have to fill out a new 4473?  I hope you know you can send a gun in for repairs and as long as the serial number is the same and ownership doesn't change hands you can receive the gun directly back to you without an FFL being involved unless your state has laws against that. I am glad my state doesn't have the restrictions that some states have. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Cape Hunter,

Thank you for asking.  Allow my to fill you in on the particulars.

The gun is a snubbie Model 94 (rimfire .22).   No Hot Loads, obviously...LOL!

The first time it was in for service, it was FTF right out of the box.  That pissed me off.  Doesn't anyone test fire a gun before they put it in a box and sell it?  Some hammer work and other adjustments later, I got the gun back in working order.  

Now a setscrew popped out, which (and I'm a layman so I don't really know exact terminology) holds in the rod that goes into the lug that holds the cylinder in place.  It popped out and for some reason won't screw back in (the hole is stripped out?)  

I'm extra pissed because even if I go through the bullshit of having to get a brand new gun, will it even work?  The FTF thing out of the box should have clued me in right away to dump this gun.  Garbage!

Oh, and I never dropped the gun or otherwise abused it in anyway.

Good know. I was not assuming that you had abused the gun, just pointing it out that as I see alot of that at our shop. People bringing in guns that are clearly not taken care if and say, "uhh its broke, can I have it replaced?" It gets old.

Regardless, that pistol is a pretty solid peice in my opinion. I am very suprised that you have had this much trouble with it. I bought one for my mother for around the barn and it has yet ot give her any trouble. Granted it only has a couple hundred rounds thru it but it is packed in either a saddle bag or 5 gallon bucket while doing chores. It has many miles of use. I can only offer the fact you do have a lifetime tranferable warrenty on it. You just seemed to get a lemon.

BTW, I am waiting to get my hands on one of their 1911s. If it runs like my first taurus(pt92 15,000+ rounds thru it), I will be a very happy man.

Hope it works out.
Regards,
CH
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Remember back in 2001 or so when Bushmaster go into trouble with the lefties because they "remanufactured" AR lower receivers to replace broken pre-ban receivers?  DemonRATS were calling for a BATF investigation because they claimed that Bushie was building new "assault weapons".

They will not, however, remanufacture a damanged FA receiver.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like New York has some pretty sucky hand gun laws.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
BTW, I am waiting to get my hands on one of their 1911s. If it runs like my first taurus(pt92 15,000+ rounds thru it), I will be a very happy man.

Just an aside...

I was on the phone with Taurus last week.  The PT1911s are "not in the country yet."

Now they are quoting sometime this quarter.  My guess is we'll be lucky to see 'em by April.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top