Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2005 2:50:12 PM EDT
 Whew.....at this point I think I am going insane....like some of you I am a SEVERE insomniac....but lately it's been getting REALLY bad again......honestly....I don't remember the last time I slept....3 maybe 4 days ago

I did blink out for about 45 minutes the other night but I had to go to work......so, so much for that

Anyone else go through these phases????

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
good way to get a seizure
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to bed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
... Bro, you must go out and get a blow job! Even if you have to pay for it - they work wonders!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, Hell Week would be easier for you, at least....
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Diphenhydramine
Brand name: Benadryl

Pop two when I can't sleep.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
less meth dude
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Rum? Beer? Whiskey?

Works for babies, it'll work for you...

Not a total insomniac, but a couple shots, wait 20, and it helps.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
3mg Melatonin in the herbal section at your local Wal-Mart.  Take one and go to bed within 30 minutes.  About $5 for 180 of the little life savers.  I used to take Ambien but this stuff is smoother.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
3mg Melatonin in the herbal section at your local Wal-Mart.  Take one and go to bed within 30 minutes.  About $5 for 180 of the little life savers.  I used to take Ambien but this stuff is smoother.

+1 on the melatonin.  it's a much healthier sleep aid than anything else on the market.

When you drink alcohol or take other pm medication, your brain is deprived of stage 3, 4, and REM sleep.  Not good over an extended period of time.  This is not the case with melatonin.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
your brain doesn't stop either huh?  The only thing that works for me  is popping two Wal-Som's (genaric) and Mozart on low volume.  If I don't do something to distract my brain function, its like a hive a bees, generating thoughts of everything from world hunger to the next civil war and everything in between.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, Hell Week would be easier for you, at least....

The freezing/boiling your ass off followed by instruction in a warm/cool classroom sort of negates almost ANYONE'S insomnia......

Hmm...maybe I should hire a BUDs or Ranger School Instruction group.....in my present state of health i would last about 6 minutes.....

that would be fine as long as I never woke up agian...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
good way get a seizure

my eyes are twitching of and on......kind of irritating
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
your brain doesn't stop either huh?  The only thing that works for me  is popping two Wal-Som's (genaric) and Mozart on low volume.  If I don't do something to distract my brain function, its like a hive a bees, generating thoughts of everything from world hunger to the next civil war and everything in between.

I see you have been there.....it's been like this since I was a kid...but lately it has been getting worse
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Melatonin tablets have given me some whacked-out, freaky dreams.  Dreams like I've heard descriptions of bad acid trips.

Jim
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Turn off the computer, do a few shots of booze, take some multivitamens, and go to bed.  Either put on a CD for background noise or use foam earplugs.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Melatonin tablets have given me some whacked-out, freaky dreams.  Dreams like I've heard descriptions of bad acid trips.

Jim

Melatonin does work for me...but I have some wierd phobia about it now...I don't emember if it had to do with nightmares or not....

I should just go get some

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So, I'm not the only one?  Cool!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Diphenhydramine

I do this when I cannot sleep and it knocks me out without any type of hang over.

Do not get the generic, it sux!

This is me after 2 tablets    
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Turn off the computer, do a few shots of booze, take some multivitamens, and go to bed.  Either put on a CD for background noise or use foam earplugs.

Me + Alcohol < Me - Alcohol

I love my cigarettes but I can't do any mind altering stuff....I become a really bad person ( ETA: as compared to normally, semi bad person ).  I can have a drink from time to time but I stick to a Guiness once in a while with WW or a couple of the other AZ folks...can't do the booze anymrore.....just can't take tht cahnce

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Diphenhydramine

I do this when I cannot sleep and it knocks me out without any type of hang over.

had some in the cabinet....trying now....
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Diphenhydramine

had some in the cabinet....trying now....

Might take an hour to start getting sleepy....nighty-night.....I hope.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
... Bro, you must go out and get a blow job! Even if you have to pay for it - they work wonders!

That didn't work for me, I couldn't get that taste out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  
The worst I have gone is about 3 hours of sleep in a week.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I have suffered with this before. One spell, it went on for two weeks.

I took a few drowsy Sudafeds to try to help myself fall asleep. It somewhat worked.

I have sporadically taken sleeping pills on occasion.

These days, I wake up the same time every night, and it takes me half an hour to fall asleep.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You want to see pain?  Go to the testicular support group on Tuesdays.

I can't....that crazy woman has the Testical Group on Tuesdays.....that's the night I have to cover the post menopausal group.  HEY...there's no other group on Tuesday night...what am I supposed to do?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:47:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Drink some red wine. I dont know what it is about that stuff but after having about 1/2- to a full bottle over a course of a meal really knocks me out. Beer and hard alcohol does not have the same effect. I can do double shots of expensive Tequila straight up all night long and be totally smashed to the point where I cant stand up anymore, but I don't get sleepy and fall asleep like I do with wine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Drink some red wine. I dont know what it is about that stuff but after having about 1/2- to a full bottle over a course of a meal really knocks me out. Beer and hard alcohol does not have the same effect. I can do double shots of expensive Tequila straight up all night long and be totally smashed to the point where I cant stand up anymore, but I don't get sleepy and fall asleep like I do with wine.

Merlot?  Pinot Noir?  Cabernet Sauvignon???  maybe a nice Shiraz???

What wine DOES one drink with Insomnia????  

That does sound really good........

I think the Benedryl is kicing in...my eyes feel like peeled grapes

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope...you are in good company.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:19:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Merlot?  Pinot Noir?  Cabernet Sauvignon???  maybe a nice Shiraz???

What wine DOES one drink with Insomnia????  

That does sound really good........

I think the Benedryl is kicing in...my eyes feel like peeled grapes

I would say, try them all, that will put you to sleep! I usually drink a Merlot, Shiraz or a mild Cabernet. My favorite wine right now is Sterling Merlot 2000, from Napa(the kind with the white label, the silver/gray label is wino fodder). I have a few cases tucked away and it is an outstanding wine that has aged well. It really tastes the best when it is decanted, or opened about 1hr ahead of meal time.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:40:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Rent and watch "The Machinist"
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Its well known that people need sleep on a regular basis.  Those that dont usually start having serious mental issues.   Thats one of the reasons that interrogators will keep their subjects awake as a torture device.  It will seriously affect your judgement and ability to make sound decsions.  Eventually you get some sort of psychosis.

By the way can I have all your guns?  

I have several magic pills that I will trade.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Hell, I'D give him one if it would keep him quiet.

AB

Try Nyquill.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I too am a frequent troubled sleeper. Even the slightest distraction can keep me awake, and often I lay awake as my mind runs through evey issue in my life or sometimes just complete bullshit. Whats really fucked up is sometimes I can be totally exhausted, falling down tired, lay down in bed and BAM! wide awake.  

The worst is when I'm trying to sleep and I start thinking, "well, if I fall asleep soon, I'll get 6 hours.."  then pretty soon I'm thinking, "well, 5 hours ain't too bad.." then it's 4 and a half and pretty soon I'm getting ANGRY because I can't fall asleep, then I really can't sleep because now I am mad!  Aaaccckkkkkk!!!!!

I have a tried an herb called Valerian Root (??name??)  it helped, but sometimes you will feel tired in the morning if you use sleep aids so you don't always get much benefit.

However, I have never been up for four days except for in conjunction with military duties.  I would say that if insomnia is keeping you up that long you should see a doctor.  You are clearly impaired for driving or being armed or operating machinery after four sleepless days.  I don't know what kind of work you do, but you don't want to cause an accident, plus it has to be effecting both your physical and mental health.

Good luck.  See a doc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

I'll have to try 'em out then..  
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#43]

My dreams were in full vivid color and just damn weird.

Hell, that describes me every night and I've never taken Melatonin.  

I had a sleep study done last week and I slept about an hour and 15 minutes.  I finally called it quits at 4:00 am and drove home where I at least got my normal, fitful sleep.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I too am a frequent troubled sleeper. Even the slightest distraction can keep me awake, and often I lay awake as my mind runs through evey issue in my life or sometimes just complete bullshit. Whats really fucked up is sometimes I can be totally exhausted, falling down tired, lay down in bed and BAM! wide awake.  

The worst is when I'm trying to sleep and I start thinking, "well, if I fall asleep soon, I'll get 6 hours.."  then pretty soon I'm thinking, "well, 5 hours ain't too bad.." then it's 4 and a half and pretty soon I'm getting ANGRY because I can't fall asleep, then I really can't sleep because now I am mad!  Aaaccckkkkkk!!!!!

I used to be like this. I simply stopped caring. 4 hours of sleep? Maybe 3? Whatever, it's all good. I'll get some tomorrow night, or whenever else I can. I get the runaway mind effect sometimes, it seems to be related to not really needing sleep. The next night, I'll be good and tired, and have no trouble falling asleep.

If you really want to fall asleep, though, get a tape of some of Kerry's speeches before the election. You'll be snoring in no time. However, when you wake up, you might find yourself believing that you served in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#45]
ah..

the good old days..

sleep (or sex) guaranteed......

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Dude, I keep telling you---Ambien. One of those, turn on the news or talk radio, and crash for 20 hours. Then you can go another week with no sleep!

Or you could record the next block training from work. I can make it through about 3 and a half minutes of that shit before I attain unconciousness....
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Been there man. Since as long as I can remember. The only way I can fall asleep is if I am reading or watching a movie.  Insomnia sucks. I am jealous of the people that can just lay down and fall asleep anywhere and it only takes them a couple minutes. It takes me a couple of hours a night to fall asleep.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#48]
I have always had insomnia, never more than 36 hours though.

I went 72, no chance of sleep, so I went to the Doc.

Diabetes. Blood Sugar >300.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#49]
seriously.. 100 to 200 mg of diphenhydramine (benadryl) is very good for a non prescription. highly recommneded. chase it with a heinekein. relax..

i once went without sleep for 7 days more or less in the 70s. was in europe and my time was off and it was  a really really weird scene. i got back to the states took 750mg placidyl and slept for over 24 hours...
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:06:22 PM EDT
[#50]
I lay awake a night with my mind racing. I always have a hard time falling asleep.

Usually, however, once I fall asleep I'm good for the rest of the night. I may attain semi-consciousness as I roll over in my sleep or whatever, but I drift off again quickly.

However, I'm lucky if I end up with 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night, and just missing out on a little sleep every night throughout the week starts to wear on me. I usually crash hard on the weekends as long as the wh***bi*** "wife" doesn't wake me up with some bullshit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top