Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2005 1:40:11 PM EDT
I am interested in acquiring a few M1 Garands.  I read an article in the recent Shotgun News about restoring them, and now that has made up my mind -- I want one!  (at least one...)

So which is the best to get?  Are the service grades worth the $500?  What about the field or rack grades?  What kind of accuracy could I expect out of these variations?  Please share your testimonies.

ETA: I saw on the CMP website that the service grade garands were going to take 60-90 days to ship out.  Has anyone ordered one of these since this notice has been released?  Does it really take THAT long?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the service Grade Springfield.... Out of the tens I have seen ordered in the last two years, all were very nice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the Greek issue H&R's that is Service grade and I was very impressed by the condition of all the metal components on the rifle. The wood (expecially the upper handguards) looked a little worse than I expected it to but new stock sets are very cheap and I haven't even tried to refinish the existing ones yet so I have no reason to bitch.

I really just wanted a shooter and I probably could have saved a few bucks by going with rack grade so on my next one that is probably what I'll do.

Then I'll be able to use the stacking swivels (.."c'mon honey the reason I need three of these is because they were meant to be stored together like this....see isn't that cool!")

-Observer
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By FortyFiveAutomatic
I read an article in the recent Shotgun News about restoring them, and now that has made up my mind -- I want one!  (at least one...)

What month/issue???

My review of CMP.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What month/issue???

The 12/5/2005 issue.  It's a glossy cover with the headline "'06 AR: Together at Last", and you see an AR with a Lauer Duracoat paint job.

ETA: Great review, CavVet!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought one a few years ago, back when it was service grade or collector grade.  Service grade was $400 then plus shipping.  After the wait, I recieved an IHC in decent shape.  The wood wasn't the best ever but just fine for a shooter, handguards didn't match the stock but I traded them for some that were a closer match.  The metal looked great though, mostly all there and no rust.   I think the only thing IHC on it is the reciever, but it functions 100% and does what I wanted it to do.

If people would realize they are paying $400-500 for a rifle that would probably sell for no less than $1500 today because of the quality of the parts, they would all be happy.  I can honestly say it was probably the best $400 I've ever spent, the rifle is probably worth at least $600+ now, although I have no plans to sell it anytime soon.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as a timeframe on ordering goes, I just sent in my paperwork for a Field Grade Greek M1 last Friday. On Tuesday of this week, I recieved an E-mail stating that they got my order. On Wednesday, they sent me another e-mail saying they had begun to process my order. Nothing else to report as of yet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a correct grade
Here is mine I got at the North store 2 weeks ago

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a rack grade greek a couple of months ago that was in awesome shape. I have not checked the TE yet, but I'm sure that it is OK for casual range trips. I'm going to go with the rack again. It is a crap shoot what you get, so I'd rather pay less for my gamble.

eta: Mine is a SA, built in August 1941 (SN 344xxx)
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
here's my Danish rack grade less wood with a wilson .308 tube...

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What month/issue???

The 12/5/2005 issue.  It's a glossy cover with the headline "'06 AR: Together at Last", and you see an AR with a Lauer Duracoat paint job.

ETA: Great review, CavVet!

Thanks & Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#11]
go for it.  whatever you decide on is a great deal.  personally i've always gotten service grades.........one springfield and two H&Rs................i'm just pissed they're out of IHCs cause i really really want one of those
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am interested in acquiring a few M1 Garands.  I read an article in the recent Shotgun News about restoring them, and now that has made up my mind -- I want one!  (at least one...)

So which is the best to get?  Are the service grades worth the $500?  What about the field or rack grades?  What kind of accuracy could I expect out of these variations?  Please share your testimonies.

ETA: I saw on the CMP website that the service grade garands were going to take 60-90 days to ship out.  Has anyone ordered one of these since this notice has been released?  Does it really take THAT long?

I got a service grade Springfield M1 and got a matching numbers 1953 Garand with a great bore and a walnut stock that is in great condition. It is in WONDERFUL shape, and worked like a charm.

How accurate is it? A lot more accurate than I will ever be.

I have yet to hear anyone who has ordered a service grade rifle complain about what they got. They are usually pleasantly suprised, as I was when I ordered mine. You can end up with real bargains in the other grades, but can also end up with barrels that need to be replaced soon out of the box.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got one.

Haven't fired it yet though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I would read over here too,

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=6

I would go with a service grade for a shooter right out of the box.

Here is my Greek Service Grade.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've got one.

Haven't fired it yet though.

Has anyone been able to shoot hundred yard groups tighter than two inches with these m-1 garrands?

Will the thing shoot different weight bullets and if so which ones work the best???
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Get a correct grade

hometown.aol.com/snafu12/images/cg1.jpg

hometown.aol.com/snafu12/images/cg3.jpg

hometown.aol.com/snafu12/images/cg2.jpg

hometown.aol.com/snafu12/images/cg5.jpg

What do you mean by "correct grade"?  Do you mean collector grade?

What did that cost you?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]
got a springfield, its a beater but fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
here's my Danish rack grade less wood with a wilson .308 tube...

home.comcast.net/~c.duarte/m1lw4.jpg

home.comcast.net/~c.duarte/m1lw3.jpg

Nice rifle.  Your rug makes pretty camoflage too!

I'm hoping to get the time this summer to go to the North Store.  Do they have TE and ME gauges that they'll let a person use as they shop?

Robert
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a Danish return rack-grade Springfield made in '43 and rebarrelled by the Danes in the 50's.  It was a beater when I got it; stock battered, no finish on the exposed metal, but it shot about 4 MOA and with perfect reliability.  I've since had it refinished and put a Boyd's stock on it.  Still shoots 4 MOA, still perfectly reliable, and a helluva lot of fun.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It always has said it would take that long to ship. My first order took about 3 weeks. The ones after that are much faster as they have your file already. My last order only took about 10 days to be filled and sent all the way to the PRK.

About the article in SGN. I'm glad that you want to get an M1 and clean it up, but DO NOT do what that guy did in his article. That M1 is now ruined, and would have very little collector value. It is only a shooter due to the heavy power sanding and crappy spray on poly finish, not to mention the cold blue he put on. It is okay to clean the stock of the old grime and give a light hand sanding with some 220 grit to remove raised grain, but if you do more than that, say goodbye to any wood markings and the original profile of the wood. You should then use a stain or dye of your choosing and apply several coats of BLO for a good authentic finish, or some Tung Oil finish cut with mineral spirits. Be careful with the Tung oil, it can build up a high gloss very fast as it is easier to work with. If it does get glossy, just dull it with a pad of 0000 steel wool dipped in BLO or tung oil to kill the gloss.

I shudder to think about all of the soon-to-be bubbas out there that will ruin their milsurps after reading that article and following his methods.

Me-><-author
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Get a correct grade

hometown.aol.com/snafu12/images/cg1.jpg

hometown.aol.com/snafu12/images/cg3.jpg

hometown.aol.com/snafu12/images/cg2.jpg

hometown.aol.com/snafu12/images/cg5.jpg

Nice rifle, but you've got the wrong book there. You need this one

Here's a pic of my DCM (predecessor of the CMP) 1.8 mil SA. It's an arsenal rebuild.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought 2 of the Greek H&R rackers last March when they were $295. Very pleased! One had a brand new H&R trigger group and the other had a new barrel. Wood was junk as expected. Also have a 2M SA from DCM ($160 back then) Cant wait till they release the Winchesters next spring!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#23]

M1 GARAND CORRECT GRADE

Correct Grade Rifles are mechanically the same as Service Grade but show less wear and have all correct parts and metal finish as shipped from the manufacturer, with appropriate inspector's cartouche on the stock. Finish may be worn, but will be 80% or better. Wood may have minor dings and dents.

NLU DESCRIPTION PRICE
R005GK-SA* M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Post WWII $850
R005GK-HRA* M1 Garand, Harrington & Richardson $900
* These rifles were loaned to the Greek Government and later returned to the U.S. Army. These rifles have all USGI parts and  wood. Rifles do not have import marks.

NOTE:  M1 Garand rifles produced by other manufacturers are not available in the Correct Grade at this time.

M1 GARAND COLLECTOR GRADE

Collector Grade Rifles are mechanically the same as Service Grade but have all original parts and metal finish as shipped from the manufacturer, with the appropriate inspector's cartouche on the stock. Finish will show little or no wear and wood will have few or no handling marks. These rifles are in excellent condition. We find relatively few rifle in this grade and therefore they are in high demand. Delivery time is usually 30 days or longer.  

NLU DESCRIPTION PRICE
R003GK-SA* M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Post WWII SOLD OUT
R003GK-HRA* M1 Garand, Harrington & Richardson $1400
* These rifles were loaned to the Greek Government and later returned to the U.S. Army. These rifles have all USGI parts and  wood. Rifles do not have import marks.

NOTE: International Harvester, Winchester, and WWII era Springfield Armory Collector Grade rifles are very rare and when found are sold through the CMP auction page at http://www.odcmp.com/index.htm when available

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Correct Grades are the way to go if you have the $800. Basicly you guarentee that all parts are correct with great park and good wood. I have a cherry collector, an almost cherry correct. Just ordered another correct and a field grade.

Don't forget ammo. CMP has some good Greek .30 cal at good prices.

I love my Garands
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

M1 GARAND CORRECT GRADE

Correct Grade Rifles are mechanically the same as Service Grade but show less wear and have all correct parts and metal finish as shipped from the manufacturer, with appropriate inspector's cartouche on the stock. Finish may be worn, but will be 80% or better. Wood may have minor dings and dents.

NLU DESCRIPTION PRICE
R005GK-SA* M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Post WWII $850
R005GK-HRA* M1 Garand, Harrington & Richardson $900

NOTE:  M1 Garand rifles produced by other manufacturers are not available in the Correct Grade at this time.

M1 GARAND COLLECTOR GRADE

Collector Grade Rifles are mechanically the same as Service Grade but have all original parts and metal finish as shipped from the manufacturer, with the appropriate inspector's cartouche on the stock. Finish will show little or no wear and wood will have few or no handling marks. These rifles are in excellent condition. We find relatively few rifle in this grade and therefore they are in high demand. Delivery time is usually 30 days or longer.  

NLU DESCRIPTION PRICE
R003GK-SA* M1 Garand, Springfield Armory, Post WWII SOLD OUT
R003GK-HRA* M1 Garand, Harrington & Richardson $1400

NOTE: International Harvester, Winchester, and WWII era Springfield Armory Collector Grade rifles are very rare and when found are sold through the CMP auction page at http://www.odcmp.com/index.htm when available

Ah...thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#26]
<-----I am quite pleased with mine. One was assembled from a rack grade Dane with a new VAR barrel and is sub MOA the other is a rack grade greek with tiger grain birch stock. I could just make out some figure through the cosmoline.

Best deal out there for the money.

CMP should get those M1's in storage in Veitnam.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#27]
The M1 Garand.

Turning cover into conceilment for over 50 years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Got all my paperwork ready...then bought a Garand at a gun show.

All the paperwork is still ready to be sent.  I think I will send it in a get another.

Question.  With a 60-90 day wait....will they wait to charge my credit card/cash a check until it is shipped?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Got all my paperwork ready...then bought a Garand at a gun show.

All the paperwork is still ready to be sent.  I think I will send it in a get another.

Question.  With a 60-90 day wait....will they wait to charge my credit card/cash a check until it is shipped?

IIRC, they charged my card when they had my order ready to go. I'm not sure how they work with checks.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:54:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
IIRC, they charged my card when they had my order ready to go. I'm not sure how they work with checks.

Credit card gets charged when the order ships, while a check is cashed when the order is received.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Has anyone been able to shoot hundred yard groups tighter than two inches with these m-1 garrands?

Will the thing shoot different weight bullets and if so which ones work the best???

I'm sure someone has, but be happy with 3-4 inches with an M1.  The acceptance standard was apparently more like 5 inches at 100yds.  If you want under 2 inches it can be had, but you need to send the rifle to an experienced armorer and have it built to match specs with a good barrel ( a rather expensive proposition IMHO ).

The M1 is what it is -- a rugged, reliable battle rifle, not a target rifle...
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I have 2 Service Grade Springfields.  Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Chime!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Circa 1942....probably helped liberate Europe!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a '52, all H&R except a Springy trigger group.  Unfortunately, I can't help you with your specific questions because I did not get mine through the CMP.  I have no idea what grade it is or what it's value is.

All I can tell you is that I love it, it has NEVER had any kind of fail to fire EVER, and I have hundreds of rounds through her.  She is the one gun I will never part with, and I want to buy more (I have sling stack urges, giggity giggity).  

I'm not touching the stock or the metal finish.  I like her just the way she is.

Trust me, you'll fall in love with yours and wonder why you ever waited so long to get one.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I ordered a field grade a couple of months ago.  Got a 4mil Springfield ('53, appears to be all matching).  The front handguard was a replacement, so the wood was not matched up.  I cleaned the wood up good and put a new finish on it (BLO)...now they match pretty good.  The parkerizing is worn around the edges (sight ears, corners, etc.)  Most of the groups I've gotten at 100 yards have been 3-4 inches with surplus ammo.  I've got some match reloads ready, but haven't had a chance to group them yet.

I love it.  I have more fun shooting it than I do my AR.  My dad is an old Marine, so he had a blast showing me all about the rifle.  At the range, I always get some approving coments.  People the next range over always know what you have when they hear the "Boom-PING!"  

Gus
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:08:15 AM EDT
[#37]
My friend's experience going to Camp Perry...

www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/surplusrifle/vpost?id=763772
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:53:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Great replies, fellas, thanks!  Keep 'em coming!

It looks like I will be getting either a Service Grade or a Rack Grade.

Here's my plan

My budget is $2k or less, preferably less than $1500:

I think I will buy two from the get-go.  I am tempted to buy three, simply because I think I will get used to having two too quickly, and I will really want to use the swivel stack.  This is leaning me towards the rack grades.  

I don't have any problem with dinged-up wood.  My plan is simply to do some sanding, get the parts to match a little bit, then finish them up with some oil.  I am worried about big, heavy gouges in the wood for the rack grades, because after all I'm just an amateur when it comes to wood-working.

My biggest worry is that the rack grades will have shit barrels (which leans me back in the direction of the service grades).  Who provides rebarrelling services, and what are some costs I can expect to encounter?  If I wanted to rebarrel a Garand for .308, is the barrel the only thing that needs modification?  If I want them to be tackdrivers, what might I expect to do and spend to get them to perform as such?

Poll on the way.  Keep the advice (and the pics ) coming!

ETA: Is there any place I can get replacement wood for those that are battered badly?  Where could I acquire decent Garand furniture if I opted for, say, the Danish less wood?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Great replies, fellas, thanks!  Keep 'em coming!

It looks like I will be getting either a Service Grade or a Rack Grade.

Here's my plan

My budget is $2k or less, preferably less than $1500:

I think I will buy two from the get-go.  I am tempted to buy three, simply because I think I will get used to having two too quickly, and I will really want to use the swivel stack.  This is leaning me towards the rack grades.  

I don't have any problem with dinged-up wood.  My plan is simply to do some sanding, get the parts to match a little bit, then finish them up with some oil.  I am worried about big, heavy gouges in the wood for the rack grades, because after all I'm just an amateur when it comes to wood-working.

My biggest worry is that the rack grades will have shit barrels (which leans me back in the direction of the service grades).  Who provides rebarrelling services, and what are some costs I can expect to encounter?  If I wanted to rebarrel a Garand for .308, is the barrel the only thing that needs modification?  If I want them to be tackdrivers, what might I expect to do and spend to get them to perform as such?

Poll on the way.  Keep the advice (and the pics ) coming!

ETA: Is there any place I can get replacement wood for those that are battered badly?  Where could I acquire decent Garand furniture if I opted for, say, the Danish less wood?

Get two service grades and a rack/field grade. My greek rack has a worn barrel but it still shoots okay for fun(~ 4.5MOA), and i'm not putting wear on my nicer service grades. My IHC SG w/ original LMR barrel shoots right at 1.5MOA with danish surplus, so you can get very good rifles with the SG route. If you want to get a rebarrel, check out Dean's gun restorations. He can also repark the entire rifle for you in a package deal. Going to .308 only needs a new barrel and a magazine spacer block to keep you from putting in a clip of .30-06 and it acts as a bullet guide as well. Nothing else needs to be changed with the gun. I would keep the SG's the way they are and send the RG out for a .308 barrel. Dean also has very nice stock sets from Wenig, they are very nice and you can get them pre-finished and installed on your gun with a barrel, stock, and refinish package deal.

If you want an early ww2 rifle or even a prewar, just include a note asking nicely for one. I did that for my SA SG and SA RG. They sent me a 1.3mil SG and a 228K 6-digit prewar RG. Or you could just leave it to luck and get whatever SN range they pull off the rack.

ETA: link to DGR www.dgrguns.com/
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
As far as a timeframe on ordering goes, I just sent in my paperwork for a Field Grade Greek M1 last Friday. On Tuesday of this week, I recieved an E-mail stating that they got my order. On Wednesday, they sent me another e-mail saying they had begun to process my order. Nothing else to report as of yet.

Update: I just received another e-mail from the CMP saying my M1 has shipped! They shipped it Fedex Priority Overnight, so it should be here by 10:30am tomorrow. w00t!

The serial number they gave me shows that it is a 1943 Springfield. That's awesome, considering that I didn't even ask for a WW2 era rifle.

I can't wait!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#41]
This thread needs some more CMP pron...

USGI SA SG

USGI HRA SG

Greek SA RG- with old beat to crap stock set

Same rifle with new GI stock set

A few CMP rifles. L->R, Rem. 1903A3, SA, WRA, IHC

The same guns from above

Reciever heels

My pre-war 6 digit. Not bad for $325.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Very nice collection Gooch!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm getting one of these soon. I'm going to the notary tomorrow and getting the envelope into the mail
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Can't go wrong with the Service Grades for the money.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#45]
W00t! papers and check for a service grade just went out today, can't wait
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I got a few back when there were just the service grade and collector grade, and went with the service grade.  I received 1 International Harvester that was a rebuild in BEAUTIFUL condition.  It must have been rebuilt and put away, almost too nice to shoot.  Another Harvester, again rebuilt, but well used afterwards.  This one really has some character to it.  Wonder sometimes how it got so much use after rebuild.  Last one is a super high number Springfield - one of the last ones made there.  Used some with some dings & dents but still a really nice rifle.  All have excellent bores and are excellent shooters..  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top