User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2001 10:59:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Glocks blow up too.

I've got a G17 and my brother inlaw has a 226.

He shoots better with mine and I shoot better with his.  We should probably trade.

I'd say it's a toss up.  Both fine weapons.

Glock has less controls and will probably last longer/survive in more extreme conditions.  (less parts).  Sig is a "finer" weapon.

Choose either, IMHO
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I carried a Sig P-226 on duty for over 7 years. They are a very fine pistol. Whover designed the grip, trigger, controls of the P226 had a hand identical to mine. It is the most natural pointing, great shooting pistol I have ever handled, period.
With that said, the only drawback of the P226, especially on the non-stainless slide versions, is they wear much faster than a Glock. After 2 1/2 years, my P226's finish was badly worn. This was way back, so the great number of finishes were not available, and the P226 was not nearly as common. I sent it to Accurate Plating and Weaponry. They really screwed the pistol up. I had it hard chromed, and the frame anodized. The grip screws were stripped out, and some of the internal parts were bent to the point the pistol would only work on double action-a one shot wonder. I have carried a Glock 22 now for over 6 years. I am so accustomed to the Glock, and using trigger reset, that I would be afraid to go back to the Sig. I really prefer the feel of the Sig, but I will trade the durability and sheer speed of the Glock over feel. This could be a problem for you as well. Both are exceptional pistols. Both go Boom. I have seen two P226's go Kaboom. Usually it is due to using reloads or cheap ammo. One was using Norinco 9mm ball, the other Alabama Ammo remanufactured ammo. Most of the Glock stories are using reloads, or lead bullets. The book says do not. So if your pistol blows up doing what they say, don't be suprised.
BTW-ever heard of any other pistol having over a million rounds through it and still shooting to spec? I personally have shot a G18 (FA) at Smyrna that had over 750,000 rounds through it. It worked flawlessly. When it got hot, we just locked the slide closed, dunked it in an ammo can of water to cool it off. Your Glock works, you are used to it, you have built up confidence in it from use. Why go to another operating system that will take you awhile to learn?
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't like my Sig. I like the glock (shudder) better.

High Performance Tactical Gear!
[url]www.Lightfighter.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had some of each.  If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the Sig every time.

But I would have to think about it....

SRM
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Although I don't own a handgun yet (not until Nov 1st, 2001, I'm counting the days), I've shot hundreds of rounds through both guns via my friends. The Sig plain and simple is a shooter. When one places Trijicons on top of its slide, it cannot be out done by anything in it's price range in terms of accuracy. However, if I needed a super tough handgun that was super reliable and could shoot 9 mm +P+ loads, I would go for the Glock 17. If I was a cop, I could care less about the finish, and I would have tax payers get me a new Sig every two years. If I was a soldier, I would want a Glock 17. I say this cause I've had Sigs jam on me whereas I have yet to have a Glock 17 jam on me.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The SIG P226 is IMHO the finest double action
high capacity 9mm ever made.

My first was a police trade-in and I would
still bet my life on it,that thing has never
jammed,stove piped,ect..

SIG is top of the line,and for you SHTF'ers
that worry its not tough enough,the P226
is the official side arm of the navy SEALs.
Maybe some frogs don't like it,but it would'nt
be there if there was any major reliability
issues.

As for glocks,I stopped playing with plastic
guns when I was 12. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Have a Glock 17 & 19 as well as a Sig 229 w/stainless slide.  They are all great guns.  The Sig is my favorite to take to the range, but the Glock is what I carry.  Glocks are no nonsense and to the point.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#11]
sigman:

Don't give me that garbage about plastic guns. I know they don't have the same feel and they are very light for full sized pistols. However, it is a technological breakthrough for the FOOT SOLDIER, which Gaston Glock developed it for, the Austrian Army. When you have to carry 80-100 lbs of equipment, a few ozs less weight is always welcomed, especially when one considers loaded clips.

I still say that if one had a batch of Glock 17s torture tested against a batch of Sig P226s, both in 9mm, the Glock would shine through. It is simple laws of probability that states that a pistol with no more than ~35 parts will always beat out a similar pistol with some 50 odd parts.

As for the SEALs, they picked the P226 long ago before Glock got their stuff over here. That was back like in the mid or late 80s after the army picked the Berettas put the SEALs hated it. The Israelis use Glocks now for their soldiers and security guards, hands down due to it's resistance against corrosion in salt water and the desert climate.

themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have both a Glock 17, and a SIG P226, and it seems that lately, I've been getting 2" better groups with the SIG at 25 yards.

I'm trying to figure out if it has anything to do with switching back and forth between the DA/SA SIG and the DAOish Glock.  I posted a topic about it over at Glock Talk.  (glocktalk.com)  Maybe I'll get some interesting replies there!
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#15]
KISS

I own 5 pistols.  They're all Glocks.  That being said, Sig handguns are the most accurate I, personally, have ever fired.  I have Glocks because my pistols are weapons and I want the extra insurance and robustness of the Glock line of pistols.  It's not that Sigs aren't durable and Glocks aren't accurate - it's a question of what your priorities are.  A practiced shooter can shoot relatively well with any pistol.  Sigs are very good pistols and they are beautiful.  I like Glocks because they can be completely broken down with a nail and can run with no lube at all if need be.  They are simple and tough.

Tate

Link Posted: 8/1/2001 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd take a gun with the accuracy of the SIG, and the reliability and durability of the GLOCK.

H&K USP

In a world of compromise...some dont

However, if I had to compromise, I would take a SIG, unless I was going to be stranded in the wilderness for 50 years.

Sigs, like beretta's, move like butter, and shoot wonderfully, as long as you treat it like a gun should/deserves be treated.

Glocks are clunky, shoot well, and are great the same way the AK47 is great.  You can piss in it, shit in the barrel, and bury it in sand, and it will fire.

The sig is like the AR15 of pistols, where the glock is like the AK47 of rifles, atleast thats how I view it.

I would take an AR15 any day, you just have to know how to treat it, same way I would take a SIG.

But if I had to go in a place that has never even seen a cleaning kit before, I would take a glock and an AK.

Depends on what you need, and where you will use it.

Personally, Im a beretta/H&K guy :-)
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Sig or a Glock?  The local pistol range that I shoot at, Santa Anita Firing Range, Monrovia, Calif.(10 miles west of L.A. [url]http://www.santaanitafiringrange.com/[/url]).  They rent both Sig 226 and Glock 17.  The Sig breaks a small hollow roll pin behind the breach face on the slide fairly often, but I don't know how often.  I believe this pin holds the breach block to the slide which houses he firing pin & extractor.  It takes my friend over a month to get another roll pin from Sig and in the meantime the 226 is out of action, and lossing $.  He finally had a gunsmith replace the roll pin with a solid one after it broke again, and the slide cracks behind the ejection port.  My friend theorizes that this weak roll pin is suppose to break in order to help protect the slide.  The Sig 228/229 has a solid pin so it may not have this problem. Whereas the Glock 17, at the same time has gone something like 500,000 rounds.  I believe the slide cracked and was replaced at 250,000.  The manager took the gun to the Las Vagas SHOT Show one year, and show it to Gaston Glock, and he was amazed that it lasted this long.  I think he muttered something to the effect that it was only designed to last something like 400,000.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#18]
The Sig is more accurate for me. But I like the Glock better.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#19]
I feel your dilemma, Hunter. I was in the same boat. In the end the Sig just felt better in my hand and shot better than the Glock. Costlier, but so worth it. I suggest you buy the gun that fits and shoots the best. After 1000+ rounds through my new 226 I can honestly say that I have no regrets whatsoever about not purchasing the Glock.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Both are excellent pistols.

The Glock is less expensive.

The Glock has polygonal rifling which makes it unsuitable for lead bullet use (may lead to kaboom). This can be cured by installing a Barstow barrel ($).

The Glock safe action trigger is the same pull every time (no single to double transition).

The Glock is very acurate......but the SIG is superbly accurate!

The Glock magazine release is too small and difficult to manipulate.  But this is easily replaced by a larger aftermarket release.

Both the Glock and SIG are extemely reliable. I have never suffered a "sheared" roll pin in my VERY USED P-226, as warlord described occuring on the range rental P-226s.  But I have noticed that the smaller roll pin tends to "walk" a bit after a thousand rounds or so.  Careful peening on both sides of this pin eliminates this problem.

The Glock is as close to idiot proof as possible. The SIG is close, but it has that darned hammer drop gizmo! Genuine idiots can confuse this with the slide release.  This is why I recommend the SIG gunner use the thumb of the NON-FIRING HAND to manipulate the hammer drop.

To make a long story short..... the Glock is a great pistol.... but the SIG is the PISTOLERO'S choice!

DaMan    

Link Posted: 8/4/2001 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#21]
I would go with the SIG P226. I own SIG, Glock, HK and others... but I LOVE my SIGs. If anyone is worried about rust on his or her SIG, have it coated with Black T and you will be fine. The SIGs can handle +P+ loads just as well as Glocks do, even though the manual does not recommend their use (it is just a liability thing - MANY federal agencies who carry the SIG P226 use +P+ as their duty loads).

The Glock is a great handgun though - I do not want to give it a bad rap. I would feel very well protected by either weapon. For ultimate reliability, choose the SIG.

Tyler

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/tylerdurden1201%2FplatoonPic3%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now i want a p226..so any help ar experience would be very helpfull.
View Quote

You should go borrow from a friend or rent from a local range a P226, and try it.  Sigs are a good piece of equipment, and a there is a lot of personal preference involved.
Link Posted: 8/4/2001 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#23]
OK, I used to be the worlds worst about talking crap about the Glock. Combat Tupperware was one of the kinder barbs I threw at it. I dearly loved my P226, which was a pre-SigArms pistol. It was match accurate, worked flawlessly. But it wears, showing holster wear much faster than a Glock. It rusts, a Glock does not. The Sig goes from double action to single action. This can be problematic for some people. The Glock has the same trigger pull each and every time. The Glock is an extremely robust pistol, we shot the G18 with IMI black tip carbine ammo. This is way overpressure compared to +p+, and is not supposed to be shot in pistols. Glock Inc. provided the ammo for the G18, and when we finished shooting there were about 5 boxes left. They gave them to me because I owned a G19, noone else in the class had a Glock 9mm. They said be sure you don't shoot this in any other pistol!
The G18 would be damn near red hot, we would lock the slide forward and just dunk it in an ammo can with water to cool it off. The water was steaming! Can you think of another pistol that can take this kind of abuse and still function with over 750,000 rounds through it? I know a Sig will not handle this kind of abuse. Then again, there is the conversion factor. You are used to the Glock's same trigger pull each time. The Sig DA/SA trigger Will cause you some consternation. I know, because I bought a P239, and simply could not shoot it worth a damn after all these years of Glocking.
Don't get me wrong, I still dearly love the Sig, especially the P226. I would like to have one of the new ones in .357 Sig. I would not however carry it on duty. I am too Glocked to try and convert back now. I shoot Master regularly with the Glock 22 that we issue. I shot Master with my Sig. I am more consistent with the Glock. It is not as pretty, and does not feel as right as a Sig. But the beauty of the Glock is in it's function and durability.
BTW-during the Austrian Army test, Glock, Beretta, Sig, and Steyr competed. The helicopter test had them thrown out at over 150 feet. The Glock was the only one to survive this "drop" test. The plastic sights were dinged up, but the pistol worked. The rest would not even make a good paperweight.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top