Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2001 8:47:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
i understood that no lock is necessary, in the home, while travelling, ever.

long guns must be kept unloaded in a "case" (that definition varies) with ammo in a seperate place while travelling.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]
now i am too! last gun i bought was only a couple of months ago, no lock, no mention of one.

maybe its one of those laws that were enacted a while ago, but didn't go into effect until recently??? i hope we get some good answers soon, i always go to the range as described above! help!
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]
When I transport my long arms to the rang I place them in the back of the mini van on a blanket. Action open. The ammo in ammo cans in the middle of the van. I then cover the weapons with another blanket. I also cover the ammo cans with a blanket. When I get to the range I use the blanket to cover the benches so the weapson dont get scratched. I have been doing it this way for years on end. I don't use a case. Does some one know of the law for transportation. I was told transportation of firearms was in the conservation laws and not the penal code.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#6]
When transporting ANY long arm the rifle/shotgun must be seperated from the ammo.If in a car you can have the rifle in the trunk and the ammo in the passanger compartment or visa/versa.In the case of a handgun,if you have any type of carry permit(Target,business,full) you may have the gun loaded,cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 8/1/2001 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless carried on your person all firearms should be secured in a lockable case separate from the ammo in the trunk of the vehicle. In the case of a minivan or truck the ammo and firearms should be in separate lockable containers and secured in the vehicle. If you are involved in an accident you don't want your firearms and ammo to be ejected or be flying around the passenger compartment.

You also have to be careful in NY because some jurisdictions have enacted their own laws. NY sucks. Imagine if every jurisdiction had their own vehicle equipment regulations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top